Spitfire Mk.II questions: exhausts & prop markings

Seawinder

As I continue my build of the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire as a Mk.IIa, I'm at the point of installing the exhausts and finishing the propeller. Airfix provides both the straight and fishtail exhausts. I'm using the Xtradecals markings for P8522 RF-W (303 Sqn. Polish mid-1941). In their instructions, they show all the Mk.II's with fishtail exhausts, but I think I've seen a couple of photos of Mk.II's with straight ones. Does anyone know if there is a recorded serial number when the exhausts changed from one to the other? In the absence of any further information, I plan to go with fishtail.

Regarding the propeller, I'm using the Rotol option also provided in the kit. I've been unable to find any photos showing the blades from the front, so I'm at a loss as to whether they had the typical Rotol circular labels. I'm guessing that, if present, these would have been pink for Jablo-coated Jablo. Can anybody clarify the presence or not of the labels and/or the composition of the Rotol blades used on Mk.II's? In the absence of any further information, I'll probably apply pink circles as an educated guess.

Many thanks, Pip

dd37553e-8377-4a78-be77-007951745763.jpg

fb55dbcc-0dd9-430f-97a2-2e5605b7410e.jpg

303 Sqn had three Mk II 'W's in 1941 .

Mk IIa P8038 March - May

Mk IIa P8336 May - June

Mk IIB P8522 June - July

Suspect they maybe confusing P8522 with P8038 (above) which is the famous one. So all you have to do is change the serial number.

I don't see any discs on the prop blades in photos.

Thanks all for the information. Unfortunately, the decals have been applied and flat-coated, so I'm just going to go with the wrong serials. However, I will use the straight exhausts, and I won't apply the circles to the prop blades.