Focke Wulf FW 190 D-9

Almost 20 years ago I started my Trimaster FW 190D-9 after buying an Eagle cal set of decals.  The kit had been in my stash for quite a few years and was the best available kit of this aircraft at the time, then Tamiya bought their kit out so I thought why not build them both and do a comparison.  Well life got in the way and they both sat in a box awaiting undercarriage and propellers.  Earlier this year I got them out and had to decide what to do with them, use them as paint mules, scrap or finish them.  Despite a better kit being available (Eduard) I decided to finish them off, so I used Eduard seat belts, spiral masks and resin wheels and here they are.  Finished in Extracolour enamel paints they are a bit of a time capsule, but still interesting.

IMG_0994 IMG_0998 IMG_0993 IMG_0992 IMG_0990 IMG_0991 IMG_0996

Thanks for looking.

• Like 35

3 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Good call on finishing these - both look excellent :) Nice work! Which was the nicer kit in the end? 

The Tamiya kit went together with less problems, the Trimaster kit was re-issued by Dragon but they replaced the white metal seat, pilot, exhausts, tail wheel, undercarriage legs and retraction jacks with plastic parts, also a lot of photo-etch was also replaced with plastic.  They both had errors with the earlier A series under carriage bay and the way the underside of the engine panel fairs into the wing.  Replacing the propeller, spinner and wheels improved the Tamiya FW but the only way to get it right is to use the Eduard kit.

• Like 2

If it's one thing that I like it's the 190 Dora aircraft. Man these things are sleek lookin' birds. Great job on those two Bob!

I've built one of the Tamiya D-9's and the only thing I didn't like about mine was the short main landing gear legs. I corrected that with a set from Eduard.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

..nice work indeed Bob - those EagleCals sheets are soooo expensive would have been a shame not to use it!

Agreed, I intend to use some of the other decals on Eduard kits, though the colour instructions might need researching, the newest ideas on late war greens has changed since the decals were printed in 1998.  The instructions for brown 16 state that it had recently been repainted in RLM 82 and 83 to be better concealed on the ground, the repaint had covered all but the fuel stencils and due to fuel shortages it had hardly flown so that is why it was still very clean.  The Tamiya kit, blue 5 was in standard 74/75/76, both sets of RVD bands were painted on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

If it's one thing that I like it's the 190 Dora aircraft. Man these things are sleek lookin' birds. Great job on those two Bob!

I too like the brutish good looks of the Dora, I am building a pair of Eduard ones so it will be good to see the difference between the different kits.

Great job. Very impressed with the finish.

I've got three bf109E that have been 'parked' for I don't know how long and are ready to paint. Hopefully seeing your 190s may provide that bit of inspiration.

Thanks for posting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really nice work on both kits Bob.  Inspirational stuff.

The Tamiya D9 is an easy build just overshadowed now by the Eduard kit IMHO. I would like to see Eduard redo the D9 and remove the wings inserts like they have done with the early Wurgers, I would buy a bucketful.

• Thanks 1

Like everyone says, nice Doras. 

I still like the Trimaster/Dragon/Revell/Italeri D-9. The Eduard kit is too fiddly, especially those bloomin' inner gun bay covers... never got on with them. I have wondered about grafting an Eduard D-9 fuselage to the new tool F-8 wings to get a decent halfway house. The gun bay covers on the new tool wing seem to fit the old D-9 fuselage well...

As Grphon28 says, if Eduard re-did the D-9 in the new style I'd be up for a few...

Anyway, your two are excellent and I look forward to seeing the Eduard ones you have under way.

Matt

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bangor Lad said:

I've got three bf109E that have been 'parked' for I don't know how long and are ready to paint. Hopefully seeing your 190s may provide that bit of inspiration.

Well there isn't an expiry date on them, perhaps you just need the right scheme to give you the urge to finish them off. 😉

2 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Love the 190s! Great looking pair of Ds! I need to crack one of mine off the To Do Shelf at some point, and see about an Eduard kit...🤔

Thanks, I have a thing about Focke Wulfs in general and the Doras in particular.  Since the Eduard ones have come out I have bought over 20,  Just need to get some finished, I don't want to take almost 20 years for the next ones.  I have 5 earmarked for JV 44 aircraft, with the red and white striped undersides. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gryphon28 said:

The Tamiya D9 is an easy build just overshadowed now by the Eduard kit IMHO. I would like to see Eduard redo the D9 and remove the wings inserts like they have done with the early Wurgers, I would buy a bucketful.

Someone on this site mentioned that Eduard were going to do a new generation Dora, I have not seen anything on the Eduard site, and they did just release the original Dora with updated coloured photo etch (yes, I bought one) The wing root cannon covers can be filed down so they can be closed easy enough, just need to add the deflector shield between the right hand exhaust and the supercharger intake, it's in the dual combo kit but not in the single kits. :shrug:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattlow said:

I still like the Trimaster/Dragon/Revell/Italeri D-9. The Eduard kit is too fiddly, especially those bloomin' inner gun bay covers... never got on with them. I have wondered about grafting an Eduard D-9 fuselage to the new tool F-8 wings to get a decent halfway house. The gun bay covers on the new tool wing seem to fit the old D-9 fuselage well...

Thanks for the compliments,  It's just a pity that the Trimaster/Tamiya kits never got the undercarriage bay correct, I have test fitted a new Eduard wing upper surface to an old D-9 lower wing and fuselage it fits well, just need to tidy up a couple of panel lines on the leading edge.  The inner gun covers just need the rear part filing down where it sits on the wing surface, easier than cutting into the wing.  Quickboost did make a set of replacement covers, but that is all they have done.  As I mentioned to gryphon28, there is a rumour of a new one from Eduard but I have plenty to keep me going. 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattlow said:

You should put one of your Eduard builds up here... it'd be interesting to see how you proceed..

Hi Matt, I was thinking much the same, or start a WiP, I have not seen many Eduard Doras built, I put my builds on hold to see what AM came out but not much other than decals and exhausts has come out.  Then the usual thing happens and other kits grab your interest. :hmmm:

• Like 1

I had a rummage in the shed and got out the Eduard Doras, I had forgotten how much fun they are to assemble, you need to be a three armed wallpaper hanger to get these things lined up with some tape to dry fit them, just like the original Eduard A series of FWs.  So here they are dry fitted together, the top right one has the original wings, the bottom left has the top wings from a new Eduard A series kit (I think one of the A-5 kits has an extra set of wings in it.)  They fit well and get rid of the problem of the tricky gun covers.

IMG_1020

The gun covers can be replaced with some Quickboost resin ones, but they did not quite get the cutout right and you either have to trim the wing gun opening or trim the cover.

IMG_1021

Where it's thinned at the rear edge, it should be also thinned along the bulge on the side.

By the time I've finished the first half dozen I will have got the hang of it.

• Like 1