Caterham Superlight - Tamiya 1/12 Custom Build

After quite a bit of effort....

exhaust%202.jpg

exhaust%201.jpg

exhaust%203.jpg

engine%202.jpg

engine%203.jpg

...and figuring out how to support the model...

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

The manifold will attach to the block with bolts, as everything lines up - thanks to the solidworks model!

IMG_3162.jpg

But I have not modeled the chassis or panels, so getting all those hard points to line up is a challenge!

IMG_3163.jpg

engine%201.jpg

It did take a few attempts...

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

Once I selected the parts, I added some detail - in this case the lamda sensor...

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

Once I had the fit ok, I painted the exhaust. The main exhaust can will be covered by a heat shield.

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

In these photos nothing is fixed into place yet....just test fitting.

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

• Like 7

I had to remove that small chassis diagonal brace to swing the header through the hole and I see you did too. But your header is much more defined than Tammy's.

Superlatives are inadequate. :banghead:

Other bits and bobs:

Steering wheel has a central pad, unlike the one on the R500's

steering%20wheel%20pad.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

....and the interior tunnel top requires sculpting. Handbrake has to be added (not in the kit)

IMG_3266.jpg

I had to make some rubber interior mats...

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

3 minutes ago, Codger said:

I had to remove that small chassis diagonal brace to swing the header through the hole and I see you did too. But your header is much more defined than Tammy's.

Superlatives are inadequate. :banghead:

Thanks mate :)

• Like 3

Dash - although the dash in the kit is the same layout as this model, the Superlight has a carbon dash - the texture on the dash would have to be removed to cover the dash in a carbon decal - but this would be very difficult to do around all the instruments and switches - so of course it requires drawing up and printing....

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

I covered the dash in the carbon decal, and then set about the switches and dials, which I elected to make all separately.

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

I coloured and cut tiny pieces of foil to represent the lights within the rocker switches.

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

I drew up the instrument gauges...

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3129.jpeg

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

Still work to do on this - and these parts are just placed, not fixed yet...

IMG_3284.jpg

• Like 6

This car has an FIA roll bar fitted - the kit comes with an old style roll bar you often see on Japanese cars for some reason - and of course the R500's had full cages.

I printed this using a slightly different support method for the printed parts - usually you place many small supports, but these can lead to a lot of marks that need to be removed, or worse, 'sagging' of the resin around the parts. So for these thin 'rods' I instead drew a thing 'fin' in the solidworks model - this would provide support all along the length of the bar, and be easy to sand off once printed - it worked well.

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

Test fitting...

IMG_2239.jpg

So that is where I am as of now...the photos below show most of the parts so far started 'assembled' loosely - nothing is fixed into position here, so it all looks a bit wonky! Next stage is probably to aim to fix the engine into place, once I am sure everything else has been done that will be much harder to access once the engine is in.

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3290Edited.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

• Like 8

11 hours ago, spoly said:

forgive me for asking what is probably a dumb question, but if you glued the switches onto the dashboard, why did you print the dashboard with the cutouts?

It may not be visible in the photos, but the back of the printed switches have a square pin, which locate in the dashboard holes - so all about the correct location/spacing etc. The holes on the dash are a lot smaller than the switches or dials - which also have a small locating step on the rear. No such thing as a dumb question!

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic work. Amazing how much you do with your CAD/3D printing facility. 
Have to think about this to see what it can do for me.

Anyway, great stuff, keep it coming and thank you for sharing all this.

• Like 2

Wowzer! This is incredible stuff, you say you are a novice with CAD and 3d printing? But there is no sign of that here, this is one of the most interesting and well made projects I have ever seen on a forum, your like a scifi gerald wingrove!

And the possibilities of that K series... MG F/TF various rovers and metros etc.

After seeing this I am tempted to give it a go myself, partially for work/car related items, but I have a 1/16th XJS that I want to replicate my real car with, but I have a 6 cylinder but the kit is 12... the mind ponders :)

Keep the updates coming, incredible stuff!

Andy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

That’s some excellent work there.

I feel your pain with the exhaust runs, I’ve just been playing ‘snake herding’ myself and had to make friends with 3D sketching too.

Be nice to see the finished article. 

regards,

Nick