Avro SHackelton MR1, Airfix kit and Alley Cat conversion 1/7nd scale

Mr T

22 hours ago, Mr T said:

Thanks for the comment on the Shack. A slightly heart stopping moment this evening when  it flew gracefully out of my grasp and ended up doing a belly landing. I would not have believed it, but the big wing and light weight coupled with the resin nose appeared to let it perform like the real thing. Only damage that I can see was the front of one of the bomb bay doors had sprung. 

I had a similar event happen when I was converting a Hasegawa P2V-7 into a P2V-4. I was balancing the built but not yet primed aircraft on one finger when it dove off and executed a crash-landing on the floor. Let's just say that my immediately subsequent language was not G-Rated. Unfortunately, my Neptune did not survive as relatively unscathed as your Shack. The fuselage join split down the middle, and the model had been ready for priming. Long story short, I did finish the model, and I can see it from where I'm writing this now (although it needs a little bit of repair work - a few pieces have fallen off over the years and need to be reattached). Moral of the story: do NOT try and balance your models on your finger! Ever!

Regards,

Jason

P.S. As I recall, I may have been having some libations when I attempted this extraordinarily stupid stunt. It certainly doesn't excuse it, but it does explain it. Although if I'm to be completely honest I used to do quite a bit of my modelling half-crocked.

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have not forgotten about the Shackleton, just work on it has been a little slow what with Christmas, sorting my aunts bank accounts etc. Any way the photo shows the paint work done an a start on the decals. Since the photo was taken I have finished the decalling and started final assembly. there will be a bit of touching up of paint no doubt and some extra bits like aerials to be added, but the holes have already been drilled, but might need cleaning out. it is rare I build anything this big and it does seem to take a lot longer. Still, now the decals are on I feel like I am getting there.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

At last the Shackleton is finished and I am going to put it in RFI. when i removed the glazing masking, it did not come off very cleaning which is disappointing, but a few coats of Klear have improved matters somewhat.

• Like 1