Esoteric 1/72 Blackburn Dart vacform

Here she is. Blackburn T.2 Dart, completed as N9536/86 of 460 Flight HMS Eagle, 1930, quite close before the Darts were replaced by Ripons.

The build thread is here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049446-esoteric-172-blackburn-dart. Basic parts from the kit (except the beautiful resin engine by Silverwings), the rest either cannibalized from other kits or scratch-build. Brush painted with Humbrol, Model Master and Revell enamels. Decals partly from the kit, partly from various decal sheets in my stock. The wheels should be observed from a respectful distance only. They had not been a wonder of symmetry to start with, and masking and painting the seven concentric circles on each of them was not an experience I would like to repeat too soon. If you do not notice the rigging, it is not that it is so fine, or that your eyesight is not what it used to be, but because it is not there. Those of you, that have been following my previous builds, know that rigging is something I keep avoiding as a rule and I am happy with it.

20191028-DSC-0242.jpg

20191028-DSC-0244.jpg

20191028-DSC-0251.jpg

20191028-DSC-0255.jpg

20191028-DSC-0265.jpg

The size of the plane is substantive for a single-seater. Compare with the Vildebeest, which was in principal a three-seater.

20191028-DSC-0263.jpg

And you have to admit that Messrs. Blackburn had a certain sustained soft spot for ugly brutes.

20191028-DSC-0259.jpg

• Like 52

Terrific work.  A great rendition of a rare (in the kit sense) aircraft.  I wish I had the patience and skills required to build vacforms.  This is one of Blackburn's better looking aircraft (well, compared the the Blackburn Blackburn anyway), beautifully realised with your model.

13 hours ago, Patrik said:

If you do not notice the rigging, it is not that it is so fine, or that your eyesight is not what it used to be, but because it is not there.

Rigging in 1:72 strikes me as a level of masochism tantamount to brushing one's teeth with concentrated nitric acid.  (Actually, building vacform kits strikes me the same way).  You have nothing to complain about with your results... Great job. 👍

That is a very tidy looking build. If you hadn't mentioned the lack of rigging, I would not have noticed. Sometimes less is more.

You are right about Blackburn being a bit lacking in the artistic lines department, I have a Blackburn Blackburn in my collection that hit all the branches on its fall out the Ugly Tree. Ugly, but somehow very attractive with it!

Tony.

• Like 1

Lovely! (All right, a bit of an exaggeration when describing the Blackburn Dart, but excellent job on it!). I share your distaste for rigging. I don't have a vacuform Dart, but I do have a vacuform Blackburn Blackburn hiding in my storeroom. And whilst we're talking about Blackburn's aversion to aesthetically pleasing aircraft, let's not forget about the Botha, although I wouldn't mind having a kit of one. I do think the Blackburn Blackburd is a bridge too far, however. Even I have my limits.

Regards,

Jason

Oh, my goodness! Been following your WIP with amazement- just now saw the RFI, and you can add admiration and jealousy to the descriptive words; looks more like a CMR resin kit than a heavily detailed Esoteric vacform. Well done, and actually a pretty handsome old airplane, IMHO:clap2:

Mike

You have made a wonderful job of this Patrik,.... and the Skua and Vildebeest are very nice too,...... congratulations.

Cheers

Tony

Really great result and a lovely collection of pre ww2 aircraft 👍 Just wish i was brave enough to tackle a vacform. I don't blame you for omitting the rigging though....i do the same! Just don't have the skill or patience.. but it doesn't stop me doing the occasional bi-plane

• 2 weeks later...

It is Revell 90, which I have been using for last 20 years or so. The paint has a bit different hue when fresh and after a couple of moths/years. Compare the Dart with the Vildebeest or the Skua.

I can feel certain change in the structure and smell of the paint in the last can I bought. The paint is somehow foamy (for lack of better word), and does not cover as well as it did before (three coats are necessity), I hope sincerely, it is just worse batch and not permanent change.