Pacific A-20G camouflage scheme question

cema_ga

Hi Comrades!

I'm build now A-20G bomber of 388BS, 312 BG based on Philippines, Summer 1945. From my knowledge,  the upper camouflage consisted of Medium Green "waves" over olive drab on wings and tail surfaces. But on the photo of my prototype appears that it's uniform (but non-uniformly faded) olive drab only... Is it possible that late war A-20's were camouflaged (upside) only with OD?

Thanks in advance!

312-Bomb-Group-2-zps3071b7bc.jpg

Edited by cema_ga
  • Like 1

Yes.  If it isn't visible in the photos it probably wasn't there.  There does seem to have been a number of different shades of OD on this aircraft - the rudder is probably lighter because it was fabric covered and has differential fading, with possibly a darker OD on the fin (as seem on B-17s too - due to sub-contracting the fin to a different maker).  The wing and upper fuselage is probably fading, with the nose being either different or mucky through being handled.  The engines throw out a lot of muck too, as seen on the nacelle under the wing.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

If it isn't visible in the photos it probably wasn't there. 

I agree! It's better to check before painting the model...

On 28/10/2019 at 17:56, cema_ga said:

Is it possible that late war A-20's were camouflaged (upside) only with OD?

The image in question seems to lack Medium Green,  there maybe some info in here

Douglas%20A-20%20Havoc%2020%20(01)-960.j

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/20-Douglas-A-20-Havoc

I suspect the reason the A-20 didn't go over to NMF was the main user of the A-20 was the Soviet Union.  Or I could just check the book....

Douglas%20A-20%20Havoc%2020%20(11)-960.j

Again, in US Camouflage matters,  it is quite possible @Dana Bell may have something to add.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't think so, because the A-26s being delivered to the Pacific were required to be in OD too, and none of those were being sent to Russia.

I'd query the "required".

The first A-26 unit (other than the 1944 trials with 3rd BG) was the 319th BG which re-equipped in the USA and arrived on Okinawa in July 1945 with NMF finished A-26B & C.

The 3rd BG began to re-equip with the B-26B from July 1945 in theatre. It received aircraft from the "Pacific Special" blocks (the B-51, B-56, B-60 and B-61 blocks) with 8 gun noses and a fuel tank in place of the lower turret. Osprey's Air Combat "A-26 Invader Units of World War 2" notes that it was not clear if they were factory painted or painted in the field with the unit. Some were OD/NG and others were overall OD. There is however a photo in the Crowood A-26 book of an A-26B-61-DL (delivered July 1945) at the factory in August 1946 in overall OD.

Those that were delivered to the CBI were NMF.

• Thanks 1

I understand that this was a requirement that percolated upwards from the operating units to the distributing unit to the manufacturer.  I suggest it is likely that the painting was actually done at the in-theatre Base Depot rather than in the field by the unit.

• Thanks 1

The RAAF operated new A-20G-40/45's straight from the US or depots in Dutch New Guinea they all had the Medium Green blotches on them , these were some of the last A-20G's build , the Medium Green Blotching may have been dropped on the H model

17 hours ago, EwenS said:

I'd query the "required".

The first A-26 unit (other than the 1944 trials with 3rd BG) was the 319th BG which re-equipped in the USA and arrived on Okinawa in July 1945 with NMF finished A-26B & C.

The 3rd BG began to re-equip with the B-26B from July 1945 in theatre. It received aircraft from the "Pacific Special" blocks (the B-51, B-56, B-60 and B-61 blocks) with 8 gun noses and a fuel tank in place of the lower turret. Osprey's Air Combat "A-26 Invader Units of World War 2" notes that it was not clear if they were factory painted or painted in the field with the unit. Some were OD/NG and others were overall OD. There is however a photo in the Crowood A-26 book of an A-26B-61-DL (delivered July 1945) at the factory in August 1946 in overall OD.

Those that were delivered to the CBI were NMF.

-51, -56, -61 and -66 were the Pacific Specials with 8 gun noses and no lower turret with 125 gal tank in place of turret , all went to the 3rd Bg, -50 with 8 gun nose , -55, -60, -65, with either 6 or 8 gun noses still had the lower turret fitted

10 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

-51, -56, -61 and -66 were the Pacific Specials with 8 gun noses and no lower turret with 125 gal tank in place of turret , all went to the 3rd Bg, -50 with 8 gun nose , -55, -60, -65, with either 6 or 8 gun noses still had the lower turret fitted

You are of course correct. Finger trouble on my part.

The interesting thing is that in March 1945 Gen Kenney, CO of various air forces under Macarthur, returned to the US for various high level meetings. One of those was to ensure that he would continue to receive adequate numbers of A-20 and B-25 aircraft which he believed were good enough to win the war. He didn't want the upheaval of re-equipping his units with the A-26, presumeably based on the combat appraisal of the type in his theatre in 1944. He was persuaded (ordered??) to equip one group with the A-26. During that trip he also had a meeting to discuss modifications to aircraft to be delivered to his theatre. I wonder if the mods arose from this.

Many thanks!

I made my decisions based on this vert helpful discussion!

Here my paintjob

122.jpg
123.jpg
124.jpg

OD of different shades only.

Thanks for consulting!

• Like 2