Good acrylic gloss varnishes

Vinster

Hello, I was just wondering does anyone know any good acrylic gloss varnishes as im currently using Windsor and Newtons however it has a 7-day dry time and it appears to be easily removed by any liquids especially sol and set. Someone suggested using AQUEOUS HOBBY COLOR PREMIUM CLEAR GLOSS I was wondering how good is this and how or is there any better gloss varnishes.

A question that pops up with regularity.

Read this:

It also depends if you brush paint, airbrush, or rattle can. Aside from the recommendations above. you can use Johnsons Klear/Pledge, or Lakeland Quickshine floor sealers, which brush on and self level, Or Halfords do a clear acrylic varnish in a spray can.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mr Bowcat said:

Are you using W&S Galeria? I use it all the time and have no problem with Sol & Set, and usually only give it 24 hours to dry.

Windsor and newton's is what im using, i may not be spraying it properly then it also reacted withe the enamel thinners - how are you spraying it

12 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

A question that pops up with regularity.

Read this:

It also depends if you brush paint, airbrush, or rattle can. Aside from the recommendations above. you can use Johnsons Klear/Pledge, or Lakeland Quickshine floor sealers, which brush on and self level, Or Halfords do a clear acrylic varnish in a spray can.

I'm spraying with an airbrush i have heard about spray cand but I'm slightly scared of using them. Someone suggested Mr colors super clear which seems good 

10 hours ago, Vinster said:

Windsor and newton's is what im using, i may not be spraying it properly then it also reacted withe the enamel thinners - how are you spraying it

OK, I use Winsor & Newton Galeria varnish (gloss & matt), I'm not sure if they have other types of varnish which is why I asked if you were using W&N Galeria.

I spray straight from the bottle through a .4 needle at whatever air pressure is enough to get it to push through (it's quite thick and I have a MAC valve but would guess it's between 18 & 20 psi).

If previous layers are fully dry and cured it shouldn't react. Having said that I've only sprayed it over acrylics and lacquers so enamels may react differently??

• Thanks 1

I've used Winsor & Newton Galeria gloss over enamels with no problems.

Maybe check you're leaving the paint enough time to harden off? Some seem to take a while.

But have you tried polishing the paint rather than using a gloss varnish? I do that now and find it works so much better. The final matt or satin coat is much less fraught to apply than the gloss!  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2019 at 11:05, Mr Bowcat said:

OK, I use Winsor & Newton Galeria varnish (gloss & matt), I'm not sure if they have other types of varnish which is why I asked if you were using W&N Galeria.

I spray straight from the bottle through a .4 needle at whatever air pressure is enough to get it to push through (it's quite thick and I have a MAC valve but would guess it's between 18 & 20 psi).

If previous layers are fully dry and cured it shouldn't react. Having said that I've only sprayed it over acrylics and lacquers so enamels may react differently??

Sorry my apologies, I use the same varnish. I only use the enamel for the weathering but I didn't realise how thick it goes on and haven't seen this which is probably why I have been getting the reaction as maybe there isn't enough varnish. My apologies for the misunderstanding I will spray it thicker from now on

On 30/10/2019 at 09:34, IanC said:

I've used Winsor & Newton Galeria gloss over enamels with no problems.

Maybe check you're leaving the paint enough time to harden off? Some seem to take a while.

But have you tried polishing the paint rather than using a gloss varnish? I do that now and find it works so much better. The final matt or satin coat is much less fraught to apply than the gloss!  

Thank you, sorry I wasn't clear I paint with lacquers and acrylics and weather on top of the varnish with enamels. I think I wasn't laying the varnish down thick enough which is my bad. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the help. I tried spraying enamels the other day as I had no flat black and had some Humbrol enamel and they sprayed great actually.