Tamiya 1/48 F-14D - VF-31, Tomca

Hi folks. 

Been away from the modelling desk for a while (insert 'work getting in the way' joke here) but had the itch to get something built by the end of the year. Cue Tamiya's superlative new 1/48 F-14D. I'm one of those Aircraft enthusiasts who was taken away with Top Gun as a young child, so the big 'Cat has always had a dear place in my heart; it's such a good feeling to have a kit as astounding as this to do the Tomcat justice. I'm sure everything that can be said about this kit has been said already, so I'll move on to my attempt at it! 

The plan was to see how good it built out of the box. That went out of the window as soon as I got the kit in my hands. I firmly believe that as good as the OOB offering is, a kit like this deserves everything you can give it. So I did. So in terms of aftermarket, I have thrown everything I can at it. Additions are as follows: 

Eduard Big Ed PE set

Brassin cockpit

Brassin GBU-38's 

Wolfpack afterburner cans

Wheeliant weighted wheels

Master Pitot/AoA spike 

Aerobonus AIM-9 Seeker head covers/RBF tags

Fightertown decals

The Brassin cockpit was a kit in itself; adds so much to the kit, especially with that big canopy to see all that detail through.

I wanted to do as dull a scheme as possible, as not to detract from the weathering that the Tomcat underwent. I know some loathe the TPS scheme, but I think the big 'Cat looks best in lo-viz grey! The kit was finished with Vallejo model air paints and Windsor & Newton Oils.

I have the AMK F-14D on order, so I'm excited to see how it stacks up against the Tamiya offering. Needless to say, the bar is set very high with this kit!  I'll wrap up my essay now and move on to the pictures! C&C welcome as always, and I hope you enjoy! 

Daryl. 

*n.b: Since I took the pics, I have removed the AIM-54C. I overlooked the fact that they were retired in 2004, hence wouldn't have been present in 2006! Just pretend it isn't there! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

Simply stunning Daryl.

She's dirty alright.

Love the paint job and weathering. Such attention to detail including the touch up painting on individual panels.

Well done.

Look forward to the next one.

Amazing work have absolutely nailed the weathering, the TPS was what the Tomcat was all about - operational. As for The Phoenix  missile they were the Tomcats "claws" for such a long time and they just look right.

I remember a phrase I read about the Tomact in its early days when the Designers were Quoted as " Not  a pound for Air to Ground"  but it just shows how good it was and how effective it was when it went out of service and of course now gives modellers additional scope like your excellent work.

Just needs a carrier deck and Background to really set it off...…...

Great job Daryl, she looks fantastic. :)

A question if I may. I'm building the same kit at the moment. Did you have any issues with the carbon fibre decals at the back of the engine housings? I'm having loads of issues getting them to lay down flat. :(

Many thanks, all. The kind words are very much appreciated! 

On 10/28/2019 at 12:19 PM, Paulaero said:

As for The Phoenix  missile they were the Tomcats "claws" for such a long time and they just look right.

Just needs a carrier deck and Background to really set it off...…...

It was with a heavy heart I removed the Phoenix. But, I have an -A and -B model to add to the flightline that I'm sure I can find space for more AIM-54's on! And I couldn't agree more r.e. the carrier deck. I've been trying to convince myself that I have the room to invest in the 1/48 carrier deck section that Skunkmodels released a while back! 

On 10/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, Mr Bowcat said:

Did you have any issues with the carbon fibre decals at the back of the engine housings? I'm having loads of issues getting them to lay down flat. :(

I must admit, I had the same issue. I tried to sit them down with multiple coats of microsol/set. I eventually managed to get them sat uniformly, but I have to be honest, I thought the effect detracted from the overall look of the model so I removed them. I opted for a mixture of NATO Black/Metallic Grey and used that instead. It looks better to my eyes when compared to reference pics, especially taking scale effect into consideration (that's what I told myself, anyway!) 

On 10/28/2019 at 1:57 PM, mike c said:

I am just about resisting buying one of these ( or the AMK kit) and this is not helping at all. My will power might just be crumbling. 

I promise I'm not affiliated with Tamiya/The Hobby Company in any way, but I absolutely think that it would be unfair to see it as a sign of weakness were you to treat yourself to one. Tamiya have really outdone themselves with this kit, and I honestly worry that I will never enjoy a build as much I have this one. Every step was a real delight, and any stress or hardship that crept into the build was entirely of my own doing. I think the only way I could have appreciated this kit more is if I had opted to build the Hasegawa 1/48 Tomcat in my stash beforehand! Boy did I do that the wrong way around 😅

• 6 months later...
5 minutes ago, exdraken said:

and now explain how I missed that build in the first place.....

it is fantastic!

cheers, 
Werner

Thanks for the kind words, Werner. Although I can't take too much credit; the kit practically builds itself. May be the most enjoyable kit I've ever built! 

• Like 1

Wow I'm glad you are back at the modelling desk - your Tomcat is a real beauty & looks great in the VF31 decals

look forward to seeing more of your work

CJP

You know, something happened with this thread that doesn't happen all that often.  When your photos opened up, I literally laughed with delight to see this work of art Daryl. 😀  Man, you've really produced something here.   This is just fantastic scale modeling at its best.   You have inspired me to buy a Tamiya F-14 with this; not that I expect mine to look like this.  This is perfect.  Perfect modeling.  Whoa. :worthy:

It seems that one can be amazed on a daily basis here on Britmodeler...