1/48 Airfix Blenheim Kit. A few observations!

Selwyn

Just getting my research together to build my first 1/48 Airfix Blenheim, It looks a lovely well made kit, but I have made a few observations about the kit that I thought I would share.

When Building the Mk IF version in particular the kit has the correct shallow gun pack provided. However because the guns were very close to the fuselage in this installation blast damage occurred to the skin under the cockpit. Therefore a scalloped fairing was introduced to protect it. Now the kit has this fairing included, (part F4) but it does not appear in the instructions anywhere, so be aware this should be fitted in many cases, please check your references.

(Please note, The Mk IV had a modified gun pack which was deeper and solved the issue).

There are a few issues with the clear sprue to note.

The pilots sliding hatch (part G3) has a central cross frame which did not feature on MkI Blenheims and I have seen photo’s of Mk IV without this feature as well, it may be that this frame was introduced on the Canadian Bolingbroke. Again check your references. Its an easy fix with a bit of scraping and polishing.

Airfix only provide the gunners canopy part G6 in the raised position. The canopy was lowered, usually when sat on the ground, and normally only raised in flight, but pictures do show it both up and down in both regimes. Its not essential to have the lowered canopy dome but it would have been nice to have the option. Associated with this is the seat mechanism (part A22) which would be in a different position when the canopy was lowered. You could carefully cut down the existing turret canopy dome to depict this but I don’t know if the turret mechanism needs to be modified as well.

Although the kit is a Mk IF, Included in the kit are the bombs for the bomber version. The bombs are supposedly representing 250 Lb GP bombs. They are usable as such, but they are a little fat, scaling out to about 13” diameter (the 500lb GP was 13.5” diameter) where the 250Lb was actually 10”, but the bombs are good lengthwise. Likewise the under fuselage 20lb Frag bombs are OK in size. They are usable unless you want to be really pedantic!

The main wheel tyres are interesting as they are moulded with the word “DUNLOR” on the sidewalls, this obviously avoids using tyre companies trademarks on the kit (and associated licencing costs) and of course the modeller can easily remove convert the R into a P by removing the tail of the last letter with a scalpel if so desired.

It is also apparent that with the breakdown of the kit that a Mk IV version is coming as in the 1/72 kit. But taking into account that Airfix has made the nose, the top panel behind the cockpit, the turret fairing panel, and bottom engine nacelle mouldings as separate items, means by providing replacements for these, along with a new Bristol X turret, a Bisley (Mk V) is very possible for the future!

Hope you find this helpful,

Selwyn

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the overview, Selwyn.  I'm thrilled that Airfix included the scalloped fairing in the kit.  I have seen a few photos of MkIVf Blenheims with it fitted.  Not sure if it's because the squadron was using the earlier, shallow, gun packs.

10 hours ago, Selwyn said:

There are a few issues with the clear sprue to note.

The pilots sliding hatch (part G3) has a central cross frame which did not feature on MkI Blenheims and I have seen photo’s of Mk IV without this feature as well, it may be that this frame was introduced on the Canadian Bolingbroke. Again check your references. Its an easy fix with a bit of scraping and polishing.

Reassured that someone else has noticed the extra cross frame.  The same feature is present on the new 1/72 kits though not on the original Mark IV kit.  I have been all the way through Graham Warner's Blenheim magnum opus without finding a single example of this on a wartime Blenheim of any mark (not that there are enough photos from the right angles to be conclusive).  Like you, I suspect it was a feature introduced into Canadian Bolingbrokes and carried over into the preserved G-MKIV.  As you say, easy fix.

• Like 2

I have looked through the Canadian Bolingbroke images available to me and I have not seen any with that cross-frame in the cockpit hatch. Mind you, good pictures of this feature are rather thin on the ground.

48974231317_b5e44018dc_b.jpg

48974231372_3ce978c6ea_b.jpg

48973500343_5c232515a2_b.jpg

48973500373_fcc21c16f7_b.jpg

The above photos are the property of Carl Vincent, who was kind enough to send me some unpublished work on the RCAF Bolingbroke.

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

n notice that the raised turret on the final photo is a different version (less framing) than the other ones.  Also, photos 2 and 3 have dark leading edges (some kind of deicer on Bolingbrokes?)  and the third photo has a scallop on the outer cowling - although I suspect a dent!

Edited by Graham Boak

40 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

n notice that the raised turret on the final photo is a different version (less framing) than the other ones.  Also, photos 2 and 3 have dark leading edges (some kind of deicer on Bolingbrokes?)  and the third photo has a scallop on the outer cowling - although I suspect a dent!

Yes. This is from an up-coming book or article, written be Carl Vincent.

" On 31 March, the RCAF informed Fairchild that this was now contemplated and that it would be “of the in-flatable Goodrich type” and would be installed on the leading edge of the mainplanes, tailplanes and fin. This deicing equipment was to be supplied to Fairchild by the RCAF. "

As for the turrets, those were acquired by the RCAF ( from Britain ) and supplied to Fairchild.

I would also go for a dent in that 3rd photo.

Chris

40 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

and the third photo has a scallop on the outer cowling - although I suspect a dent!

If you mean the one clearly on its belly, I think that "dent" is where the engine has been wrenched from its normal position, taking some of the skin with it.  Does that one not have a dinghy pack on the port nacelle?

Nice shots of the retracted turret- I've been thinking about that lately!

• Like 1

A few more-or-less relevant comments anent some of the various posts concerning the new Blenheim (and, I suppose, by extension, the Bolingbroke) kit.

I.             Pilot’s hatch.   The additional frame only appears on Bolingbroke IVT’s. The operational Bolingbrokes, i.e. Bolingbroke I, IV and IVW do not have it. My research on the type is still very much a work in progress with hundreds of pages of documentation still to read and, more important , to digest, so I have no idea of the reason for this. However, as the great majority of the preserved/restored/clumsily amalgamated Blenningbrokes out there started life as IVT’s, this may be an explanation for its appearance.

II.            Deicing equipment.   All operational Bolingbrokes (see above) had this, but the IVT’s do not seem to.

III.           Gun pack.   All Bolingbroke fighters, whether I or IV, had the non-streamlined early version. Incidentally, I have found no evidence that the RCAF referred to them as IF or IVF, but I use these designations for convenience.

IV.          Cockpit interior.   I am assuming that the new kit has a cockpit enclosure that is adequately transparent so that the cockpit interior should be accurate. Most of the received wisdom on the subject simply states that the Bolingbroke IV interior’s only difference was that it had “American instrumentation”. Nonsense! The cockpit interior of the Bolingbroke I was largely the same as that of the Blenheim and was cordially hated by the users. As a result, the RCAF struck a users’ committee which, working from a mockup made from a Bolingbroke forward fuselage, did a total redesign which bore little resemblance to the original. Incidentally, this resulted also in an alteration to the fuselage glazing. I obviously have no idea what the kit interior represents, but it might be worthwhile to check in order to avoid ending up with a Blenningbroke, regardless of whether you want a Blenheim or Bolingbroke.

I trust that this is of some interest and, possibly, of use.

Carl

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, Carl!

I just tried going through the Bolingbroke images on Library and Archives Canada but it's not working well today. I can only see two of the pictures.

Maybe tomorrow.

Chris

G'day all,

Some great info in this topic. I am looking at my kit and notice that there is a clear panel (part G2) installed at  Step 83 to the lower stbd fuselage just aft of the weapons bay. This panel seems to have a small downward facing lamp and a large circular window.

Was this a standard feature of all Mk.1/1Fs ?  I also notice that there appears to be a recce camera included on the clear parts sprue (G1) but the instructions make no reference to the camera and there is no obvious way of mouting it within the fuselage which leads me to think that these parts are for future releases?

If the camera window was not a normal feature should I just sand off the round window detail or was a blanking plate installed or is it more a case of ''fitted for but not with''

cheers

Pappy

5 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day all,

Some great info in this topic. I am looking at my kit and notice that there is a clear panel (part G2) installed at  Step 83 to the lower stbd fuselage just aft of the weapons bay. This panel seems to have a small downward facing lamp and a large circular window.

Was this a standard feature of all Mk.1/1Fs ?  I also notice that there appears to be a recce camera included on the clear parts sprue (G1) but the instructions make no reference to the camera and there is no obvious way of mouting it within the fuselage which leads me to think that these parts are for future releases?

If the camera window was not a normal feature should I just sand off the round window detail or was a blanking plate installed or is it more a case of ''fitted for but not with''

cheers

Pappy

That was a window for a recce camera.  I believe it was standard for regardless of whether a camera was actually installed.

• Like 1

I've just got an email from Carl V ( Post #9 ) apologizing for adding Canadian Bolingbroke to this Blenheim Mk.I topic.

" I have a horrible feeling that I should apologize for having injected so much purely Bolingbroke material into a thread that (I suspect) should have been devoted to the Blenheim I and IF. Because of this and in order to make some amends, I post a photo of the only other original Blenheim IF photo that I possess. It depicts Blenheim IF coded UF.D (serial and date unknown) of 601 Squadron, RAF. It was taken by a Can/RAF pilot of the squadron. "

Said photo:

48991886447_64147550a7_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

Carl needn’t apologise: his input that the additional frame was not a feature of all Canadian-manufactured aircraft but, for some reason, just of Bolingbroke IVTs has carried the debate forward usefully. The info on the redesign of the Bolingbroke cockpit layout was new to me too.  Hope to hear more from him

6 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Carl needn’t apologise: his input that the additional frame was not a feature of all Canadian-manufactured aircraft but, for some reason, just of Bolingbroke IVTs has carried the debate forward usefully. The info on the redesign of the Bolingbroke cockpit layout was new to me too.  Hope to hear more from him

I did mention to him that those little sideways drifts happen all the time to various topics here on BM, but that I would pass on his message. He has provided me with a wealth of information on various aircraft topics in the last few months. Why me? I have no idea why, but I'm prepared to sacrifice the cat to the modelling deities to make sure it continues. That such a well-known Canadian aviation author has chosen me, a nobody in such circles, to be the recipient of that information is most humbling.

Chris

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 10/31/2019 at 5:04 PM, dogsbody said:

I've just got an email from Carl V ( Post #9 ) apologizing for adding Canadian Bolingbroke to this Blenheim Mk.I topic.

" I have a horrible feeling that I should apologize for having injected so much purely Bolingbroke material into a thread that (I suspect) should have been devoted to the Blenheim I and IF. Because of this and in order to make some amends, I post a photo of the only other original Blenheim IF photo that I possess. It depicts Blenheim IF coded UF.D (serial and date unknown) of 601 Squadron, RAF. It was taken by a Can/RAF pilot of the squadron. "

Fantastic shot for upper surface details! Thank You @Carl V for sharing. One question though; Does this aircraft have two aerial masts fitted? One in usual place other behind the turret.

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Fantastic shot for upper surface details! Thank You @Carl V for sharing. One question though; Does this aircraft have two aerial masts fitted? One in usual place other behind the turret.

I'm thinking it's the single Vickers gun that was in the early Blenheim turrets.

Chris

On 10/27/2019 at 5:08 PM, Selwyn said:

The main wheel tyres are interesting as they are moulded with the word “DUNLOR” on the sidewalls

Good thing the Blenheim was not fitted with Nitto tyres, as they might have molded 'Ditto' on the sidewalls! (Yes, I know the drill- go sit in the corner and think about what I have just said!)

Mike

• Haha 2

On 10/31/2019 at 12:04 PM, dogsbody said:

Blenheim IF coded UF.D (serial and date unknown) of 601 Squadron, RAF.

Chris,

Neat photo! I'm guessing the original upper wing roundels are in the process of being re-painted?

Mike

On 10/28/2019 at 8:09 AM, dogsbody said:

I have looked through the Canadian Bolingbroke images available to me and I have not seen any with that cross-frame in the cockpit hatch. Mind you, good pictures of this feature are rather thin on the ground.

48973500343_5c232515a2_b.jpg

48973500373_fcc21c16f7_b.jpg

Here's a couple of things I've noticed …

- On the above photo's, the oil cooler exhaust duct (that squarish duct at 1 o'clock) on the cowl behind the cowl flaps, the cowl flaps are not notched to clear the duct, while on the photo's below,

the cowl flaps are clearly notched ...

Image1

Image32

… and the cockpit was radically different in the Bolingbroke, aside from the instrument panel that went all across the cockpit, the pedestal to the right of the pilots seat was enlarged, and all engine controls were moved from the left side wall to the center pedestal ...

… from the pilots handbook on the Blenheim IV ...

Image12

Image18

and on the Bolingbroke ...

24880337347_5f4e580cd7_o

24880337417_95002df901_o

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 2