NASA 'Rescue' M113 Armored Personnel Carrier (Trumpeter 1/72)

Wasn't sure whether to put this under 'Vehicles' or 'Space,' but it's a ground vehicle, so here goes.

During the Apollo program, NASA began using a fleet of (4) M113 Armored Personnel Carriers, acquired from the US Army, as launch-adjacent emergency rescue and firefighting vehicles. This practice continued through the Space Shuttle program, when all members of scheduled shuttle crews -- as a required part of their emergency procedures training -- were taught to drive the M113s, in case some launch emergency (presumably just short of a catastrophic one) should permit the escaping crew to board the empty-and-waiting 'standby' vehicle, to evacuate the launch area with some degree of speed and protection.

By all accounts, these 'driving lessons' were one of the most entertaining parts of the astronauts' training. The vehicles could regularly be seen careening around the Cape Canaveral complex's many remote tracks and access roads, kicking up clouds of sand and debris as each astronaut 'trainee' came to terms with the unfamiliar lever controls of the tracked vehicles.

In this NASA photo, the next scheduled shuttle launch crew seems to be enjoying themselves immensely as Chief of Fire Training George Hoggard (with reversed cap, making the 'give her the gun' gesture) supervises the training session.

spacer.png

I selected Trumpeter's 'standard' M113 in 1/72 scale to build one of these distinctively-liveried NASA vehicles. The kit has a wonderfully-complete interior for the scale, including a respectable engine/transmission and outfitted crew compartment in back...but, oddly, no hint of a driver's position beyond an empty space. I scratchbuilt the basic control details, and added some home-made decals for the various interior warning signs and labels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Externally, I left off or removed various molded-in combat-related and stowage details like the commander's machine gun mount and tool racks and fuel cans. NASA's vehicles were pretty 'stripped down' versions with no need for combat and field accoutrements. The only scratchbuilt details added here were the headlights and their guard frames (to replace the rather anemic kit parts), the empty mounts for the smoke grenades (which were still present, on the vehicle I was portraying), and a rear-mounted 'loudspeaker' horn visible in photos. (Not entirely sure whether this last is a standard M113 fixture or a NASA addition, but it's there.)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Paints were mixed from Tamiya acrylics. All decals were home-made. The oddly-shaped 'speckles' (at least in 1/72 scale) liberally scattered over the 'stripe' areas on every surface are the mission patches for each proud launch crew which trained in these vehicles. Of the three oft-photographed APC's, #3 seems to have been the one 'ceremonially' chosen to be decorated in this fashion, since #1 and #2 look 'clean' in most photos. Even on #3, the location and assortment of these patch decals seems to vary widely from photograph to photograph...presumably due to service-wear and ongoing cleaning/maintenance of the well-used vehicles.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

To display my tiny beauty I whipped up a little vignette base, based on a real photo. While a 'shuttle' oriented locale might have been more appropriate...Cape Canaveral's 'Complex 14' had a cooler sign, and a compelling history. It was the main launch complex used in the early days of the US Space Program, including the Atlas Mercury launches. The 'parking spaces' featuring the Mercury astronauts' names are part of the gate area of the now-torn-down complex, which was restored in the last decade as part of the tourist-accessible areas of the busy base.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 46

10 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

I selected Trumpeter's 'standard' M113 in 1/72 scale to build one of these distinctively-liveried NASA vehicles. The kit has a wonderfully-complete interior for the scale, including a respectable engine/transmission and outfitted crew compartment in back...but, oddly, no hint of a driver's position beyond an empty space. I scratchbuilt the basic control details, and added some home-made decals for the various interior warning signs and labels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fantastic little model and vignette - it looks like @Dads203 influence is spreading

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Very nice.

The question was asked "does a vehicle with tracks belong n this section?" well yes it can as its clearly in a civilian use and not a Military one, as the poster said it could also have gone in the space section.

Julien

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 27/10/2019 at 20:14, thorfinn said:

Wasn't sure whether to put this under 'Vehicles' or 'Space,' but it's a ground vehicle, so here goes.

During the Apollo program, NASA began using a fleet of (4) M113 Armored Personnel Carriers, acquired from the US Army, as launch-adjacent emergency rescue and firefighting vehicles. This practice continued through the Space Shuttle program, when all members of scheduled shuttle crews -- as a required part of their emergency procedures training -- were taught to drive the M113s, in case some launch emergency (presumably just short of a catastrophic one) should permit the escaping crew to board the empty-and-waiting 'standby' vehicle, to evacuate the launch area with some degree of speed and protection.

By all accounts, these 'driving lessons' were one of the most entertaining parts of the astronauts' training. The vehicles could regularly be seen careening around the Cape Canaveral complex's many remote tracks and access roads, kicking up clouds of sand and debris as each astronaut 'trainee' came to terms with the unfamiliar lever controls of the tracked vehicles.

In this NASA photo, the next scheduled shuttle launch crew seems to be enjoying themselves immensely as Chief of Fire Training George Hoggard (with reversed cap, making the 'give her the gun' gesture) supervises the training session.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Externally, I left off or removed various molded-in combat-related and stowage details like the commander's machine gun mount and tool racks and fuel cans. NASA's vehicles were pretty 'stripped down' versions with no need for combat and field accoutrements. The only scratchbuilt details added here were the headlights and their guard frames (to replace the rather anemic kit parts), the empty mounts for the smoke grenades (which were still present, on the vehicle I was portraying), and a rear-mounted 'loudspeaker' horn visible in photos. (Not entirely sure whether this last is a standard M113 fixture or a NASA addition, but it's there.)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Paints were mixed from Tamiya acrylics. All decals were home-made. The oddly-shaped 'speckles' (at least in 1/72 scale) liberally scattered over the 'stripe' areas on every surface are the mission patches for each proud launch crew which trained in these vehicles. Of the three oft-photographed APC's, #3 seems to have been the one 'ceremonially' chosen to be decorated in this fashion, since #1 and #2 look 'clean' in most photos. Even on #3, the location and assortment of these patch decals seems to vary widely from photograph to photograph...presumably due to service-wear and ongoing cleaning/maintenance of the well-used vehicles.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

To display my tiny beauty I whipped up a little vignette base, based on a real photo. While a 'shuttle' oriented locale might have been more appropriate...Cape Canaveral's 'Complex 14' had a cooler sign, and a compelling history. It was the main launch complex used in the early days of the US Space Program, including the Atlas Mercury launches. The 'parking spaces' featuring the Mercury astronauts' names are part of the gate area of the now-torn-down complex, which was restored in the last decade as part of the tourist-accessible areas of the busy base.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Great build.  I'm thinking of tackling this subject myself.  What made you plumb for the Trumpter kit?  Trumpter do three versions of the M113, the A1, A2 and A3.  Which version M113  kit did you go for?

Thanks

24 minutes ago, Michael Morris said:

Great build.  I'm thinking of tackling this subject myself.  What made you plumb for the Trumpter kit?  Trumpter do three versions of the M113, the A1, A2 and A3.  Which version M113  kit did you go for?

Thanks

Thanks.

To be honest, when the idea popped into my head, the Trumpeter kit was an inexpensive add-on to an online order I was already putting together. I went for the A1, since I knew I'd be dispensing with or removing many of the combat accessories anyway.

I'd read a few reviews of the kit on the net...and decided that even if it didn't work out for some reason, it'd be great as a 'proof of concept' hack to try things out with.

As it happened, it worked out quite well. (In fact, liked the kit enough that I plan to pick up a few more at some point for some more 'conventional' projects.)

Cheers.

• 9 months later...

I've got the Trumpeter 1/72 scale sitting in my stash now.  However, I been looking for the Eduard detail kit for over 9 months now as this has loads of detail missing from the Trumpeter kit.  Still looking, but no luck yet. 😟

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Id like to do one of these in 1/35, where did you get the decals from ? 

Just like last time, Dennis...I made them myself.

I'd be happy to send you the files, if you want to give it a go.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2021 at 3:33 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes please. I think I can and if not I know someone that can print them out for me. 

Haven't forgotten...PM me your e-mail, and I'll be happy to send them along.