Enzo the Magnificent

The poll will appear here when the GB has finished  

1. 1. Q1

• A1
    • A2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back in 2009 Xtrakit released their 1/72 Supermarine Scimitar, which was produced for Hannants by the Czech company Sword. It got mixed reviews with complaints about build difficulties and lack of accuracy, but I found that it went together no worse than many other short run kits. As to accuracy I do not have any plans so I cannot really say much. Yes, it is about 1ft (4mm) short in both length and wingspan, the nose may be a little bit out, as is the shape of the lower rear tail, which I have fixed, and the stabilisers may be a bit big, both in chord and span and the tips are the wrong shape, so I have modified them. The other errors are my fault not the kit's - I forgot that the wings have a small degree of anhedral and the outer weapons pylons are probably too near the wingtips. Anyway, here it is - the last plane to carry the proud name of Supermarine.

DSC02281-crop

DSC02292-crop

DSC02286-crop

DSC02289-crop

DSC02293-crop

Due to the poor weather I took the pics indoors and the lighting has somewhat emphasised the blue tinge to the Extra Dark Sea Grey. The kit is pretty well OOB except for the few "corrections" I made, the aerials and the bombs on the outer pylons. If, unlike me, you remember the anhedral on the wings, then it makes up into a reasonable model of the Scimitar to my mind. The markings are a mix of the decals provided in the kit to get XD321 of 807 naval Air Squadron on HMS Centaur in around 1961, except for the blue nose numbers which should be black in normal service - they were only blue on the aircraft of their formation display team apparently. It is certainly a big improvement on my old Contrail vacform which it has replaced.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Back in around 1980 I got my hands on a batch of kits made in Japan and released through Revell. A coupe of years ago I decided they could do with a facelift so I have finished the Ki-45 and J1N1, and now the P1Y1. Besides stripping and repainting I also scratch built undercarriages, having originally built them wheels up. So here is my P1Y1 Ginga known to the Allies as Frances. It was delayed because of a combination of engine problems and conditions nearing the end of the war, and did not finally enter service in any numbers until early 1945. Indoor lighting makes the green too dark, and outdoors it now looks a bit light - can't win.

DSC02371-crop

DSC02376-crop

DSC02373-crop

DSC02375-crop

With hindsight I have raked the u/c legs a bit to far forward but I am pleased with the result. It was a fast "medium" bomber and in a way a JNAF equivalent to the Ju88, though it only carried a torpedo or up to around 2000lb of bombs. Had it arrived in say late 1943 it might have made a difference, but as things turned out it is just another plane which is relatively unknown to many modellers.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 11

Here is my build of the AZ Models Supermarine Attacker FB2 in 1/72. The Attacker was the RN's first operational jet and as such was something of an interim type. Powered by a Rolls Royce Nene engine, it used an enlarged version of the straight laminar flow wing designed for the Spiteful and like the prototype Me 262 it had a tail wheel undercarriage. However, unlike the 262 it retained this dated feature in service and might have been the only operational jet to do so.

I have modified the kit which was of the prototype/early production F1 by fitting a vac-form FB2 canopy, and used the markings from Modeldecal sheet 56 to represent a machine of 1831 Naval Air Squadron, RNVR based at Stretton in 1955.

DSC02409-crop

DSC02411-crop

DSC02413-crop

It was a fairly easy build except for the rear end, where the moulding of the arrestor hook and tailwheel bays seemed to have gone wrong. It is a marked improvement on the ancient Frog version which it replaces in my collection.

The photos have come out a bit light against the frosty background.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 13

And here is my Xtrakit Supermarine Swift, also in 1/72. The Swift was designed and built at the same time as the Hawker Hunter, but both machines had serious teething problems. However in the end Hawker fixed theirs quicker than Supermarine, and by the time the Swift was beginning to look promising the Hunter was in full production.  The problem with lighting the afterburner at altitude was never properly fixed, so the Swift found a use as a low level recce plane as the FR Mk5, which I have modelled. Only two Squadrons used them, both from German bases, and this is a machine of 79 Squadron as it might have been in around 1961 according to the instructions. The pics have come out rather light for some reason.

DSC02415-crop

DSC02417-crop

DSC02419-crop

Manufactured for Hannants by Sword, it made up pretty well. I have no idea how it compares with the more recent Airfix offering, but is a lot better than the old Hawk kit I bought in desperation years ago.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 12

Here is my Xtrakit 1/72 Vampire FB Mk 5, made for Hannants by MPM in 2014. There was a bit of a fit problem with the wings but otherwise it went together pretty well.

DSC02449-crop

DSC02450-crop

DSC02453-crop

The kit offers decals for 2 machines - an all over silver painted one from 502 (Ulster) Squadron RAuxAF and a camo one from 605(County of Warwick) Squadron RAF, Having experienced a problem with the decs, I switched to using my old Modeldecal sheet and marked this one up as a machine from 71 (Eagle) Squadron in Gutersloh, Germany in 1951. I think it came out pretty well.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 15

F-16A s/n 92-0406 (originally built for export to Pakistan but subject to an arms embargo) which was one of several from that order handed over to the Naval Strike and Airwarfare Centre at NAS Fallon in 2002.

20200129_134836

20200129_135002

20200129_134932

20200129_135323

20200129_135031

Hasegawa kit with Eduard cockpit etch, decals from their "Top Falcons" boxing and Aires resin exhaust.

The main camouflage colours are from Mr Paint (the first time I've used them but will certainly be getting some more).

The paintwork on these aircraft got very worn and was subject to much "repair work" - I've tried to replicate this but not to the extent of the photo linked in the build thread.

After over five years it's good to finally finish this Viper.  I'm currently working on two more that were started at the same time (both Dutch) - they will appear in RFI sometime.

Mike

• Like 12

1/99 Scale FROG, Handley Page Hampden 1.

106 Squadron, April 1940.

A DNF from last year's FROG Squad GB, but now finished using Xtracrylix paints.

The roundels are from an aftermarket sheet, but the codes and serials are the original, 60 year old kit transfers.

The KUTA build thread is here.

P1110114.jpg

P1110115.jpg

P1110116.jpg

P1110117.jpg

Cheers

• Like 13

OK, just got home from the Rockhampton Model show, didn't win anything with this, but not bothered, I can now log into Postimage OK, so photos done just now, late afternoon tropical sune.

I had no end of trouble with the Shafrirs, in that the phot etch wouldn't behave, so this represents a post mission aircraft after the successful launch of those missiles and empty pylons.

My story and I'm sticking to it.  :)

DSCN3373.jpg

DSCN3372.jpg

DSCN3371.jpg

DSCN3370.jpg

At least I got my first completion for the year, just in time for the GB

• Like 11

1/48 Academy Hawker Hunter F.6, 14 SQN RAF Gütersloh, 1963

Hi folks, this was a kit I started nearly ten years ago when I was a teenager and was left half built. WIP here. Following advice I shortened the tail bullet and loved the tailplanes forward so they were correctly positioned (more or less). Apart from that it was completely OOB. This was also my first time using an airbrush and I am happy with the result! I used Tamiya flat Aluminium, Xtracrylix Dark Sea Grey and Modelmaster Acryl Dark Green. Definitely a smoother finish than when I use a brush! (The masking was killer though) I left this one relatively clean due to the fast approaching GB deadline and the fact that when looking at reference images they appeared to be well looked after. Anyway, thanks for looking, any pointers would be happily received on my WIP:

49477170146_3c341c32b3_b.jpg

49476686473_582db76476_b.jpg

49477392482_93a840d982_b.jpg

49476686778_07545d9e7d_b.jpg

49477392412_38c0482dcf_b.jpg

Ash

• Like 12