Argentinian F4U-5 in 1:48 (Hasegawa)

Hello guys, here's a glimpse of what will be my next model, an F4U-5 from the Argentinian Navy in 1:48, the kit will be Hasegawa's F4U-5N with parts for a night fighter, but also for the daylight fighter.

I'll use Phoenix decals as the only aftermarket. I bought two sheets in case one fails me, but both sheets look ok. All the options are for daylight aircraft, which carried a Light Gull Grey upper colours and white undersides, together with white landing gears and wheel hubs.

972cweA.jpg

Click the follow button if you'd like to see how this build goes!

• Like 4

Damn! Dennis got the best seat- again! Just back in town after a day trip yesterday. Not my scale, but I do love Corsairs, so will be watching from the cheap seats. My -5N will be in the colors and markings of Guy "Lucky Pierre" Bordelon, who was the Navy's only Korean war ace- his F4U-5N was named "Annie Mo" after his wife. Sadly, his Corsair was totaled while being flown by a USAF pilot after Bordelon had rotated stateside-  quite possibly would have been saved for the NMNA at Pensacola. See the two links below for his story and two color profiles of his -5N. The Lone Star Flight Museum has a beautifully restored F4U-5N in the colors and markings of his airplane- I have seen her numerous times at airshows over the years. Of course, and Argentinian and or Honduran Corsair would undoubtedly be the last instances when they were flown in combat. (Of course, there is no decent 1/72 kit of any late Corsair, from the F4U-4 to the AU-1!)

Mike

https://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.mil/2014/07/17/peoplematter-navy-pilot-comes-up-aces-during-the-korean-war/

https://www.markstyling.com/F4Ukorea.01.htm

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

Hello guys, I was able to make more progress on the Corsair today. Everything went well, except that the wings needed a fair amount of trimming in order to fit more or less ok.

Wings glued together:

BraXw4f.jpg

Holes for the rockets opened:

fZhcEoE.jpg

lvWImJy.jpg

Flaps glued together on their sprue:

NLJ0ucA.jpg

Cockpit done:

gHiyEAQ.jpg

Fuselage glued together:

6ynipWK.jpg

Wings on:

3xGhXvC.jpg

A decision I hope won't bite me in the future, flaps glued to the wing:

ZyqTSSa.jpg

nFruyMp.jpg

Questions or comments welcome!

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

decision I hope won't bite me in the future, flaps glued to the wing:

It might be ok, you're going for the Gull grey over white scheme ? Sometimes its easier to leave them off for painting then glue them in. If it was the GSB Scheme it wouldn't be an issue. Just depends on how good you are with masking ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It might be ok,

My biggest worry is me accidentally breaking the flap arms.

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Gull grey over white scheme

It'll be this same scheme.

37 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive built a few of these. Those are pretty resilient, what kind of glue did you use ? 

Revell Contacta Professional.

Edited by Sturmovik

You should be ok with the glue. If you are worried about it some drops of C/A on the contact points might give you extra strength. In the future you might want to consider using the older gel style glue as well. I find the old gel type tube glues give really strong and flexible connections. They tend to give a bit more before breaking than some other types do. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Two more in progress photos for today:

The antiglare panel has been painted, together with both fuselage halves black exhaust sides.

nZhywKo.jpg

WvwrnuC.jpg

I've decided to paint this aircraft as 2-A-214, basing myself on a single side profile from Núñez Padín's F4U-5/5N/5NL Corsair monographie. Either that or 3-C-22.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 4

Today was painting day! I painted the upper sides of the aircraft in Light Gull Grey (Revell Matt 76). The white will be painted soon, and I have to not forget of painting the flag on the rudder and elevators!

ldLK2Gq.jpg

kwgEatf.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 3

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking good so far, looks like the flaps held. 

Luckily, they did, but it's far from over, and I'll try to avoid the flaps taking too much damage. 

The next steps are:

1) Flags on the rudder and elevators.

2) Gloss varnish.

3) Decals.

4) Matt varnish.

5) Landing gear.

• Like 1

The flag has been painted!

fnOx60V.jpg

VbrzYpX.jpg

The gun and rocket supports have been glued too.

lOHHDNW.jpg

Make sure to click on the "follow" button if you wish to keep up with ny progress!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its looking good with the national colors on the tail. Im always surprised at how light it was, I've always envisioned a medium blue for the flag ? 

And you're correct, the correct blue would be a much darker blue, but I didn't have that blue, so I had to make due with RLM 65. Looks passable for me.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

Decals applied! They're from Phoenix Decals, are fairly thin and were a bit yellowed, but that didn't stop me from applying them.

The decals were hit with a couple of coats of Micro Sol, which successfully made them sink into the panel lines.

RWIl3uP.jpg

gHhi4Ng.jpg

ETh3RsG.jpg

2tLL1WO.jpg

ZTy1owA.jpg

ThsRV0U.jpg

1FTy8K2.jpg

bkxP6Mp.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe for the Corsair single type build I'm hosting next year. 

I may join if I buy another Corsair, and if I remember about that groip build.

• Like 1

Almost there! I dry fitted the clear parts, and the rear section wants to sit higher that the canopy rails, so I'll put some pressure over it. Hopefully it won't break.

I also lost to the Carpet Monster one of the gun's mountings. I fashioned a new one from another part, which also dropped to the floor, but I was able to find it.

NgPmDDm.jpg

• Like 4