Molotow chrome pen not chrome anymore

Merlin

Hi,

Bought the Molotow 1mm chrome pen in April, it was tested on shiny white plastic, looked like chrome, lovely impressive. Now I come to use it, give it a damn good shake, then plunger it a while onto kamoi tape, lots of silvery spangly particles, then scribble it onto white plastic card but it doesnt go chrome and I remember it going chrome almost instantly, I find the test piece from April and do so on the same piece beside the original chrome and watch the little silver particles all dancing about like a pot of maggots, but no chrome, its now duller, just spangly silver particles with a raised lip around the edge of the line or area I have painted, original had no 'lip' at edge. another good shake, no better.  Its no better than a normal silver paint now., and this raised lip along edge of the paint. another shake and a lot of plunger on kamoi then try again on the card, same, no better.

Give it another real good shake and pump it many times on the tape, then draw on the april test piece, still no better, a gloop has formed now at base of shaft looking very chrome, mop that up as about to drip paper towel for a moment is chromey, so another scribble but same dull spangly paint with lip at edge effect. zero chrome effect.

Whats gone wrong with it, unused since purchase and stored upright,

Merlin

Edited by Merlin

I've had two Molotow chrome pens for almost two years, stored horizontally in a drawer in the workbench, and I have not had any issues.  I only use them occasionally but have found if they haven't been used for a while, I may  have to vigorously shake them 1-2 minutes to get a good, shiny chrome paint to come out.  I presume the shiny bits separate from the carrier, but that is just a guess.  You might try one posting either at the BM Figures forum or one of the many other figure painting web forums or even a drawing forum - those folks use the Molotow pens all the time and might have a solution.  Graffiti artists love them too, but I'm not certain you want to hangout late at night in some dark street with a pristine wall while they tag it. 

Lou in Idaho

• Haha 1