Westland Lysander, 1/72 Eastern Express

Hi

This is my first model posted here. I've restarted modelling over a year ago and so far built under 10 models. I'll try to post more of those.

As to this one it was built as part of the group build with my friends - topic was Westland Lysander, Frog/Novo. As I wasn't able to get a hold of any of those I bought Eastern Express kit which is old Novo and Frog mold anyway. As this is really old and used molding I was ready for things like bad canopy, poor fit, however I wasn't ready for flaky plastic - was really hard to work with. To be honest a few times I wanted to throw "this pile of trash" where it belongs but decided to brace myself and finish it. You can imagine how relieved I feel right now 🙂

Cons:
- poor fit

- bad plastic quality

- no color schema in the instructions

Pros:

- decal

Paint used: Vallejo Model Air (RAF day fighters pre-war to 1941 set), Tamiya Flat Clear

This is the first time I tried Vallejo and I really liked it - used straight from the bottle, no flow improver/retarder - I found that with retarder the cure time is really long while I did't really experience dry tip effect. So no need to use a retarder. Although I have to note I sprayed at 15 PSI when most of the sources recommend a bit higher - 20-23 PSI

I usually do paint chipping with Prismacolor pencil (on Tamiya acrylic) - that didn't work really well with Vallejo - I guess I need an extra coat of flat but that's for the next project.

And now without further due:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Xirurg
  • Like 27

Well as someone who is currently working on the same kit, I think that has turned out brilliant.  I haven't decided to go with the Special Duties version, but can't get the serial numbers so it may end up just with rondels.  Shame they hadn't included the SD decals, I can honestly say it's the worst kit I've encountered so far after like you getting back into the hobby.

If mine turns out half as good as yours I'll be delighted.  Just before looking at your thread spent the last hour trying to clean up the slot the wing fits into the canopy, as one slot didn't exist and the other full of flash.

I wish I'd waited for the Dora version now...

All the best.