Morane Saulnier MS 406. Mojo restorer... hopefully!

jean

On 1/19/2020 at 1:29 AM, corsaircorp said:

Nice Job Jean !

Knowing the difficulties of modelling in these part of the world !!

Congrats !! You did great !!

N'Zia ya Nioka, Ni kutelemuka !!

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC,

Thanks for the compliments! Yes modelling here is a far cry to doing it in the land of plenty!!! But what does not kill us makes us stronger.

Indeed there are snakes in the grass here; a hell of a lot of them, And it is downhill all the way! It has been downhill for more than 20 years, and we still haven't touched the bottom!!!

But we retain our sense of humour!

Cheers and keep having fun!

JR

• Haha 2

On 1/19/2020 at 1:37 AM, AdrianMF said:

That Hu96 loooked a bit dodgy on its own but it looks good next to the other colours. Nice to see this is headed to the finish line.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I agree with you about the dodgy look of the Hu 96. First time I am trying it, and I thought this was a perfect occasion to do so, when maximum accuracy is not the point of this build.

After having painted all three colors, I realized that they look exactly like the ones used to paint a restored D 520 that flew in France quite a few years back now, and that sadly crashed, killing its pilot.

At the time, this plane was hailed as having been restored to perfection, down to the correct paints. You are allowed to take this last statement with a ladle of salt, but the colors do indeed look good! I am making the MS 406 my priority now, as I want this ancestor  kit finished ASAP!

Cheers

JR

Hi JR

Really sorry to see the decals aren't playing ball.

I managed to remove the tracing paper over the decals many years ago using a bit of steam from a kettle in the same way you could open envelopes if you didn't want to tear the paper.

Let me know if this works.

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

Hello Jean,

I used an old expression from the Lunda tribe..

Meaning, Snake is walking his way, going left, then right then left again but he always reach his goal !

It's a kind of a compliment for your tenacity in modelling in adverse conditions...

Remind me of a funny story,

When we took the "Road" from Kolwezi to Lubumbashi, we crossed a lot of villages..

There was always peoples on the roadside... 

One day, I saw a big snake crossing the road, I did'nt take the bet to try avoiding it

I've been told that if one hit something or even someone with his car, the best way is fleeing..

So I passed right on the snake and.... Nothing... the guy keep carryin'on its way.

Villagers seemed worry... The way I learned that snakes are just like electic wires...

It take a heavy, I mean really heavy vehicle to harm them...

If one want to kill a snake, he have to brake heavily when passing on the snake...

That make villagers happy... One snake killed mean free food for the one who picked it up...

So, the way I've done... Making villagers happy !!!

The worst we had were the Black Mambas, Dirty crap also nicknamed minute snakes, because it's the time left to stay alive...

I always preferd the Pythons, if you let them in peace, they did'nt attack.

unless you did'nt came in one third of their lenght, they will not even pay attention to you...

Now estimating the lenght of a snake is a matter of guess, a dicey one.

One of my friend has been knocked out by a python...

He was trying to get the snake out of his garden and was picking on the snake with a stick

A not long enough stick....in fact...

I missed Africa sometimes...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Jean,

I used an old expression from the Lunda tribe..

Meaning, Snake is walking his way, going left, then right then left again but he always reach his goal !

It's a kind of a compliment for your tenacity in modelling in adverse conditions...

Remind me of a funny story,

When we took the "Road" from Kolwezi to Lubumbashi, we crossed a lot of villages..

There was always peoples on the roadside... 

One day, I saw a big snake crossing the road, I did'nt take the bet to try avoiding it

I've been told that if one hit something or even someone with his car, the best way is fleeing..

So I passed right on the snake and.... Nothing... the guy keep carryin'on its way.

Villagers seemed worry... The way I learned that snakes are just like electic wires...

It take a heavy, I mean really heavy vehicle to harm them...

If one want to kill a snake, he have to brake heavily when passing on the snake...

That make villagers happy... One snake killed mean free food for the one who picked it up...

So, the way I've done... Making villagers happy !!!

The worst we had were the Black Mambas, Dirty crap also nicknamed minute snakes, because it's the time left to stay alive...

I always preferd the Pythons, if you let them in peace, they did'nt attack.

unless you did'nt came in one third of their lenght, they will not even pay attention to you...

Now estimating the lenght of a snake is a matter of guess, a dicey one.

One of my friend has been knocked out by a python...

He was trying to get the snake out of his garden and was picking on the snake with a stick

A not long enough stick....in fact...

I missed Africa sometimes...

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC,

Thanks for associating me with tenacity! Stubborn as a donkey would be more like it.

Africa has a funny way of getting under your skin. Some days I wished I were light years away, so irritating can it be. And after two weeks in Europe I can't wait to be back! 

Re snakes, I love them! The Congo is a different kettle of fish, and they eat anything. That has lead a few times to my getting nuclear!

Here, snakes are part of the environment and we know they are around, even if we do not see them. They are great: Mozambique spitting cobras have a great sense of humor and Black Mambas do not want to hurt us, as we are not a prey! I have almost walked several times on huge black mambas dozing in high grass, and they explode into a mad hissing whip right in front of your face, give you a heart attack, but if you remain frozen on the spot, they just melt away into the bush. No harm done. If you gesticulate....

I once spent a full half day building a structure with a two meter female Black Mamba on a branch just over my head. She seemed very interested in my brick lying. At some stage I looked up, and she was gone!

In the Congo, when kids are lining the side of the track, all they shout is "Mikopo!" So I throw my empty water bottles in their direction and they are Oh so happy! 

Snakes are too useful to be run over. 

Thanks for looking at my feeble efforts on the Morane.

Cheers and keep having fun.

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @jean

How are you and Karen doing ?

Cheryl read me Karen's Facebook post tonight about her being taken really ill.

I won't embarrass you on here but, you are a proper hero in my book mate. 

Best wishes Pat, Cheryl and the tribe. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @jean

Have you had a chance to make any more progress with the 406 ?

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

long time no hear! So where have you been eventually?

Re the 406, I think there is progress as I look at it every couple of days, and often more frequently! I have come to the conclusion that there is precious little work to do in order to finish it!!! 

Unfortunately Karen is yielding a mean whip and work on the Chateau is progressing faster than on my models!!!

Furthermore I really WANT to finish a GB kit at least once in my lifetime, so I decided to tackle the Stuka to that effect. 

Believe me, life can be hectic!

Take care.

JR

• Like 2