Omaha

Hi Steve,

Rapid and fantastic progress. It would take me a year to build and paint so many figures. I think I've already said that you've picked a great set/sets. Every pose looks real and not forced. And great composition too.

One thing I've only just noticed though: I would expect some of the figures to be wet up to the knees at least. I doubt any would have gotten onto the beach bone dry. Perhaps you're leaving some dark washes until you do the resin pour?

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Steve,

Rapid and fantastic progress. It would take me a year to build and paint so many figures. I think I've already said that you've picked a great set/sets. Every pose looks real and not forced. And great composition too.

One thing I've only just noticed though: I would expect some of the figures to be wet up to the knees at least. I doubt any would have gotten onto the beach bone dry. Perhaps you're leaving some dark washes until you do the resin pour?

Rearguards

Badder

Thanks badder, dont worry Im planning on adding some brown inks on certain firgures to make their clothes look a little more saturated then glossing over that to give it a wet look sheen. The resin will be up to the guy being pulled and the ramp of the lcvp so the guys in the water will be just under their waists. Also added gloss on helments too. Ive just got alot of weapons and stuff to paint and wrap in their teenie little bags

• Like 2

Hi SIMON,

That's beginning to look awesome. I didn't mention before, but the seaweed on the obstacles looks as spot-on as everything else. I am looking forward to seeing how you turn that cotton wool into an explosion of water.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Few more dudes added and tweaks here and there. I think I've for 3 more guys in the landing craft and then the hard bit. A massive resin pour which could ruin the whole thing.

20191202_205623 Omaha wip 20191202_205715 Omaha wip 20191202_205628

• Like 8

Slight issue with the resin pour. One the water doesnt look as blue as I hoped it looks very red brown in the photo but it's not as bad as it looks here. It definitely has a blue tint but I didnt take the sand colour into consideration. I think when I get waves and spray etc on it will turn out ok. Plus the photo is rubbish as I needed to use my flash as it on garage floor. The major issue however was the resin leaked through and melted the foam board from underneath. There was a small hole around the bottom of the explosion and it leaked straight through. Some pretty bad damage but nothing that I cant fix with some filler and paint when it fully cures. But lessons learned. I checked every nook twice except that one. Doh.

20191204_190053

20191204_190058

Hopefully get some better images tomorrow in daylight. 

Edited by Red Five
Adding text
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Arrrrrrrrggggggg! Those resins can be a pain in the butt! They will leak out of the tiniest gap. I didn't know they melted foamboard though! Hopefully you can sort it out without too much bother.

A couple of things... have you thought about applying a misted white coat to the surface of the resin that you HAVE poured, and then mix a tiny bit of blue into your next  batch of resin? I've mixed acrylics into my resin and the effect was quite good. Maybe have a test first?

The other thing. I noticed the guy with his rifle wrapped in polythene... presumably to keep it dry when he hit the beach.... and then I thought, hang on. was polythene sheet readily available back then? I don't think it was or there'd be a lot of it about in WWII dioramas. So, I assume you wrapped the rifle to protect it during the resin pour..... ? So which is it? The historically questionable rifle protector, or the modeller's need to protect his work?🤔

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Badder said:

Arrrrrrrrggggggg! Those resins can be a pain in the butt! They will leak out of the tiniest gap. I didn't know they melted foamboard though! Hopefully you can sort it out without too much bother.

A couple of things... have you thought about applying a misted white coat to the surface of the resin that you HAVE poured, and then mix a tiny bit of blue into your next  batch of resin? I've mixed acrylics into my resin and the effect was quite good. Maybe have a test first?

The other thing. I noticed the guy with his rifle wrapped in polythene... presumably to keep it dry when he hit the beach.... and then I thought, hang on. was polythene sheet readily available back then? I don't think it was or there'd be a lot of it about in WWII dioramas. So, I assume you wrapped the rifle to protect it during the resin pour..... ? So which is it? The historically questionable rifle protector, or the modeller's need to protect his work?🤔

Rearguards,

Badder

They used a thing called pliofilm often either clear or green. It was a plastic type bag material. Some chose to remove it earlier to use rifle slings to board the lcvp but they were definitely used. In regards to the resin itself I knew it melted foam yes but thought I'd fully sealed everything but guess not. Theres going to be alot of white water etc so going to leave the colour as is as it looks ok. I kinda wanted more muted dark colours akin to saving private ryan rather than a BLUE sea.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Red Five said:

They used a thing called pliofilm often either clear or green. It was a plastic type bag material.

Well, I learned something new today. So, excellent detailing by you!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1

This is going to be amazing! Yes I like your painting style too.  It seems you exaggerate the shadows and highlights on the figures very effectively.  If you're  still looking for added interest on the beach (and there is a lot of interest already), how about including a shell hole? or will you  include a shell  explosion in the water? (Using water is one thing I've yet to try).

I've been to Normandy a few times and its well worth the visit!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Clogged said:

This is going to be amazing! Yes I like your painting style too.  It seems you exaggerate the shadows and highlights on the figures very effectively.  If you're  still looking for added interest on the beach (and there is a lot of interest already), how about including a shell hole? or will you  include a shell  explosion in the water? (Using water is one thing I've yet to try).

I've been to Normandy a few times and its well worth the visit!

Hi clogged

I have indeed tried to add a shell hole but it didnt turn out quite as I hoped. I kind of wanted the look when you dig a hole on a wet beach and it fills straight back up with water. It's on the right near the guy with one arm. I've also added a water explosion too. I think it looks ok. They are hard to try and get right. Excuse the waves they are really white but the water effects take an age to dry when applied so thick. The foam around the landing craft will still be that white though. I've now realised why the water looks so red/brown. I added a games workshop wash to is as blood thinking it would kinda stay put and look like it was flowing into the water. Turns out it just blended with it far too well and made the resin go a pinker tinge but worst case I will cover up the sides and put a blue wash over the water surface to hopefully get rid of it. But I still think it looks ok as is. It's my 3rd resin pour and Its very much alearning curve. Like most things the camera doesnt do it justice. I think I'm going to present it like the first image now too. It shows alot more of the action than a side on view as I originally thought.  

Thanks for the feedback

Simon

20191207_012659

20191207_013956 20191207_014123

20191206_120848

Edited by Red Five
Adding text
  • Like 13

Hi Simon... why have I been calling you Steve? 🤔 

I'm not surprised this is a 'wower'. The low-angle shots are stunning. I hope you have in mind to get a couple of photographic backdrops and have photos taken looking down the beach with a seascape full of ships and landing craft behind, one looking up the beach, and one looking along it?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely and the last photo with the shadows is great.....

The sun was blasting through the window and it looked great so took a few snaps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi Simon... why have I been calling you Steve? 🤔 

I'm not surprised this is a 'wower'. The low-angle shots are stunning. I hope you have in mind to get a couple of photographic backdrops and have photos taken looking down the beach with a seascape full of ships and landing craft behind, one looking up the beach, and one looking along it?

Rearguards,

Badder

Haha no problem badder. I did wonder why steve lol. I'm going to take a good few snaps in my light box but will try for a few with a back drop too. 

Edited by Red Five
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Badder said:

I hope you have in mind to get a couple of photographic backdrops and have photos taken looking down the beach with a seascape full of ships and landing craft behind, one looking up the beach, and one looking along it?

What a great idea Badder and also maybe a frontdrop (the opposite of yours and all i could think of) with a view from behind and the beach in front....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/12/2019 at 17:23, Vince1159 said:

What a great idea Badder and also maybe a frontdrop (the opposite of yours and all i could think of) with a view from behind and the beach in front....

I'll give it a go but it's a big bugger to put in front of a monitor to get some good shots. Might try the light tent and photoshop to be honest. 

• Like 2