Omaha

So I've had an urge since I was a kid to try and make a Omaha beach dio . I had the 1/72 playsets and spread them out on the bedroom floor and had hours of fun. Cut to 25 years later and i thought I'd put some of the things ive learned together and give it a go.

The plan is to have a scene of chaos. The Landing craft is dropping another wave of troops off onto an already hectic beach. Im going to try and put as many figures in as possible (within reason and the realms of taste) so far ive got a possible 56 figures to pick from and bastardise to suit my requirements. Ill not be using all of them but the dio will be heavily figure focused. Hope i dont get burn out. I figured its an ideal dio as whilst im looking after a baby and time is scarce i can paint one or two guys a night and slowly plod on.

I started off with a foam base cut dowen and then used clay on to (which is poo-poo and cracked) so ive put a layer of pvc on and started building the pieces. Im then gonna hit the base with some plaster to smooth the cracks and then some ultra fine playpit sand.....ill keep you all posted.

Omaha wip

Edited by Red Five
  • Like 9

I reckon that's gonna look great Red Five.  Good luck with the water. top tips, dribble CA into the freshly poured resin and drag it around with a toothpick to create foamy ripples and shredded clear polythene for splashes. Also a bit of sandy coloured pigment in the mix for churned up sand around the bow of the landing craft.

practice first though! The CA ends up like snot when first put in and you can play around with it for quite a while and it will stand proud of the surface as it begins to set, or you can poke it down deeper beneath the surface. (the resin will still be liquid at this point)

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Fantastic project red five, if you get the chance have a read of a book called the Bedford boys. It's about a group of 116 Inf regiment part of the 29th Inf division, these guys were the first wave at dog green 1 sector Omaha beach.

image.jpg

Heres my go a a landing craft, 36 figures on mine had a small production line whist painting them all.

good luck

Oz

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Fantastic project red five, if you get the chance have a read of a book called the Bedford boys. It's about a group of 116 Inf regiment part of the 29th Inf division, these guys were the first wave at dog green 1 sector Omaha beach.

image.jpg

Heres my go a a landing craft, 36 figures on mine had a small production line whist painting them all.

good luck

Oz

Looks great oz. I was debating having just the lcvp unloading or at sea full of guys but though I'd give it a little more action. Which figures did you use. I've so far used 2 master box sets and a tamiya one

The ones I have left came with the landing craft and are good figs just all standing bolt upright as it's supposed to be at sea. I planned on having about 10 if them in the landing craft (out of25) then have about 4-5 guys at the front running off but I need one or two guys kinda just starting to run/walk. As if the ramps just dropped. 

This is where I'm currently at. Just need to do about 10 more guys in the lcvp.

20191028_151438

I'm gonna use some resin water and I've changed the figure lay out about 15 times so far even got a few dead/dying dudes to add. 

• Like 4

Update from the world of organised chaos. Still building figures. Hopefully about 5/6 left. Broke the boredom by starting to paint the base but I think I need all elements including debris and equipment painted and ready before I add the sand so I can embed things better. So far so good. I'm even starting to get a better feeling about my fig placement. Some are running so cannot be balanced fyi. 😉

Omaha wip

• Like 6

Hi Steve,

Nice progress.  Already you're creating the sense of urgency and desperation and as I said, it's looking to be a great dio.

I don't know if you've thought of this, but whenever I've made figures for a diorama I drill a hole into the sole of one of their boots and insert a metal pin - usually a snippet of paperclip. Then I can mount the figure on a wine cork or similar for painting, and also use the pin to mount the figure in a hole drilled in the diorama base. If the pin is long enough and the hole in the base is lined with something like latex/pva you can push the pin in and 'fix' the figure in place without gluing it. You can then remove the figure easily and replace it should you ever build and paint a better one.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I've been meaning to get around to sticking 

5 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Steve,

Nice progress.  Already you're creating the sense of urgency and desperation and as I said, it's looking to be a great dio.

I don't know if you've thought of this, but whenever I've made figures for a diorama I drill a hole into the sole of one of their boots and insert a metal pin - usually a snippet of paperclip. Then I can mount the figure on a wine cork or similar for painting, and also use the pin to mount the figure in a hole drilled in the diorama base. If the pin is long enough and the hole in the base is lined with something like latex/pva you can push the pin in and 'fix' the figure in place without gluing it. You can then remove the figure easily and replace it should you ever build and paint a better one.

Rearguards,

Badder

I've been meaning to get around to putting pins in the figures. I just havent had time. 

Thanks

Simon

• Like 1

On 28 October 2019 at 21:42, Red Five said:

Looks great oz. I was debating having just the lcvp unloading or at sea full of guys but though I'd give it a little more action. Which figures did you use. I've so far used 2 master box sets and a tamiya one

The ones I have left came with the landing craft and are good figs just all standing bolt upright as it's supposed to be at sea. I planned on having about 10 if them in the landing craft (out of25) then have about 4-5 guys at the front running off but I need one or two guys kinda just starting to run/walk. As if the ramps just dropped. 

This is where I'm currently at. Just need to do about 10 more guys in the lcvp.

20191028_151438

I'm gonna use some resin water and I've changed the figure lay out about 15 times so far even got a few dead/dying dudes to add. 

I had the same LVCP boxing, moved the arms and weapons about to try and get a bit of variety for the guys in the boat. I think I used the same MB figures, I also used a few Dragon figures. I had a couple of the same MB sets with a swap of arms you get a different figure. I only went for an unload due to shelf space, I used woodlands scenics acrylic resin for the water. Goes down misty then drys clear and hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I had the same LVCP boxing, moved the arms and weapons about to try and get a bit of variety for the guys in the boat. I think I used the same MB figures, I also used a few Dragon figures. I had a couple of the same MB sets with a swap of arms you get a different figure. I only went for an unload due to shelf space, I used woodlands scenics acrylic resin for the water. Goes down misty then drys clear and hard.

I'm going to use some boat resin and have it about 1" deep ish that way I can add stones and helmets etc under the water as debris and also the obstacles are more submerged ala saving private ryan. But itll slop quite quickly up for space more than anything. Ideally I wanted it so the figures were wading in a little but up to their waists but I couldnt find the right figures. The dragon ones are hard to find now but I think once I've got them all done and In place it should look ok. I've used the resin in a previous dio and was happy with the results

Dniester River Crossing 1/35th

• Like 4

Made a start on some figures. First of probably 40 or so. Not as detailed as I'd usually do but I'm figuring I can cut a few corners as there will be so much going on. Btw the guy on the left isnt finished. 😂

Omaha wip. Started some figs. First of about 40.

• Like 6

Hi RedFive,

Excellent figures. I really like your painting style. I can get a real feel for how this dio is going to look, as good as, or even better than your previous one. And if it's better than your previous one it's going to be a Master Masterpiece.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Red five,

fantastic  job on the T-34 diorama, those figures are looking good too.

i tried to send you a private message, but for some reason you can't recived them.

not or sure if you would be interested? I was on Omaha beach last year, I scooped up some sand off the beach while I was there. I used a small amount on my diorama, I still have a fair bit left. I was wondering if you could make use of it in your build?

below are some pictures on the beach looking up to the 29th's first objective, the other is an MG position looking to dog green one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Red five,

fantastic  job on the T-34 diorama, those figures are looking good too.

i tried to send you a private message, but for some reason you can't recived them.

not or sure if you would be interested? I was on Omaha beach last year, I scooped up some sand off the beach while I was there. I used a small amount on my diorama, I still have a fair bit left. I was wondering if you could make use of it in your build?

below are some pictures on the beach looking up to the 29th's first objective, the other is an MG position looking to dog green one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi ozzy.

That would be a real nice touch. I have some sand from dunkirk that i was going to use somewhere but find beach sand a bit too big for 1/35 but some legit sand from dog green would be a nice touch to add in. I have got a tonne of play pit sand which I'm planning on liberating from my daughters sand pit as its ultra fine and a little more absorbent so i can darken the shore line with ink to show the tide mark. 

Cool pictures the Normandy beaches are on my bucket list. Very jealous of you going there. 

Did you use decals on your figs to show insignia etc? I was debating just leaving them blank so it could be any unit. More of a general feel of the landings than uber historically accurate? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Hi ozzy.

That would be a real nice touch. I have some sand from dunkirk that i was going to use somewhere but find beach sand a bit too big for 1/35 but some legit sand from dog green would be a nice touch to add in. I have got a tonne of play pit sand which I'm planning on liberating from my daughters sand pit as its ultra fine and a little more absorbent so i can darken the shore line with ink to show the tide mark. 

Cool pictures the Normandy beaches are on my bucket list. Very jealous of you going there. 

Did you use decals on your figs to show insignia etc? I was debating just leaving them blank so it could be any unit. More of a general feel of the landings than uber historically accurate? 

Now worries Red five,

if you PM me your address, I'll post you some sand over the weekend. I painted the insignia on the arms, a splodge of white wine then a blue swirl. Luckily the weather was good that day, it's a trek up the beach and I didn't have the stress of MG fire.

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

The LCVP is looking great already. So, you've just applied several washes and no heavy coats over the black?

BTW, I don't know if you're aware but by clicking on your photos it is possible to view all of your photos on FLICKR should I and others wish. You might be okay with that, but you might want to change your settings.  I got as far as the bottom of page 1 and didn't go any further, but I must say you have a beautiful and varied collection of models there. You are a very skilled and versatile chap!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Simon,

The LCVP is looking great already. So, you've just applied several washes and no heavy coats over the black?

BTW, I don't know if you're aware but by clicking on your photos it is possible to view all of your photos on FLICKR should I and others wish. You might be okay with that, but you might want to change your settings.  I got as far as the bottom of page 1 and didn't go any further, but I must say you have a beautiful and varied collection of models there. You are a very skilled and versatile chap!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi badder.

I'm cool with my Flickr being open to all. Nothing personal on there. I enjoy taking photos too of other stuff but models have taken over of late. 

I've only really started with a brown grime pin wash and some light streaks so far. I dont follow you when you say over the black? I've painted it grey but there are patches which are blacker which I kinda liked plus there will be guys in the way and streaking etc on top. 

Thanks

Simon 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I've only really started with a brown grime pin wash and some light streaks so far. I dont follow you when you say over the black? I've painted it grey but there are patches which are blacker which I kinda liked plus there will be guys in the way and streaking etc on top. 

Thanks

Simon 

Hi Simon,

Ah. Okay. It's just in earlier photos it looked grey, proper pale grey, and in middle photos it looked almost black (on my laptop anyway) Now it's gone grey again, so I wondered if the washes you mentioned were grey.

Still, not as confusing as my winter camo Tiger 1 which looked sand coloured in some light and in some photos even when it looked white to the naked eye when the photos were taken

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Simon,

Ah. Okay. It's just in earlier photos it looked grey, proper pale grey, and in middle photos it looked almost black (on my laptop anyway) Now it's gone grey again, so I wondered if the washes you mentioned were grey.

Still, not as confusing as my winter camo Tiger 1 which looked sand coloured in some light and in some photos even when it looked white to the naked eye when the photos were taken

Rearguards,

Badder

Ha. The first grey was the bare plastic then I hit a dlack undercoat then painted it grey onto of that. Used black and white highlights under the thinner grey paint to make it look worn. 

• Like 1

Making progress. But I'm thinking I need ALOT more deris on the beach to give it the crowded feel I want. I'm even debating putting the guy carrying his own blown off arm back to the medic saving private ryan style. 

Omaha wip

Omaha wip

• Like 6

Added what I hope will look like seaweed when it dries to inject a little colour. 

Omaha wip Omaha wip

Also incase you're interested thats another wip in the background. Some armiger helverin. Every now and then i tinker with some warhammer stuff as the painting styles and colour schemes are a great way to learn new techniques and break up the monotoney of army colour schemes.

Omaha wip

Edited by Red Five
adding text
  • Like 2