1/12 A35 van Fire Engine conversion

Hi everyone

International Rescue is the theme for the IPMS 'Beyond The Box' SIG table at the Nationals in Telford this year. The idea behind 'Beyond The Box' is to take a standard kit and turn it into something other than the manufacturer intended, ideally with a fun factor built in.

For my build, I decided to take the Airfix 1/12 'Wallace & Gromit' A35 van and turn it into a fire engine, similar to the Morris Minor fire appliance at the Gaydon Motor Museum. 

1_small

This was my starting point. I chopped off the roof, filled in the rust holes and gave it a nice, shiny red courtesy of a Tamiya rattle can.

4_small

The wiper blades and A35 badge are 3D-printed parts sourced through Shapeways. The bell used to belong to a Lindt chocolate Easter bunny.

2_small

The stuff in the back is a combination of Tamiya's 1/12 F1 Racing Tools + children's toys + scratch built items.

3_small

My twist on the International Rescue build theme was to have a cat stuck up a lamp post - in other words, Domestic Rescue. The cat owner is being interviewed by the local press reporter. Wallace is on hand to oversee the rescue operation.

5_small

The cat like its owner is scratch built using Milliput.

DSC_0022_small

If you would like to see the model close up, it will be on the 'Beyond The Box' table at Telford over the weekend of 9/10 November. The table is close to the Airfix stand.

Cheers

Richard C

• Like 22

53 minutes ago, Chimpion said:

Great idea and wonderfully executed.

One thing puzzles me though - how are they going to rescue the cat when they don't appear to have a ladder?

A nice slice of Wensleydale should tempt it down😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/27/2019 at 8:40 AM, Chimpion said:

Great idea and wonderfully executed.

One thing puzzles me though - how are they going to rescue the cat when they don't appear to have a ladder?

It's not easy to see in the photo but the ladder is on the pavement behind the fire truck. They might have a problem however as it's not going to be long enough - so they will probably need to resort to the idea of tempting it down with a nice bit of Wensleydale!  I put the ladder on the ground as it was hiding the tool set and I wanted people to see the various bits and pieces.