Auster Aiglet and AOP Mk 4

Linescriber

Linescriber

Sorry to have to be nit-picky but given that you are specifically asking about differences we need to cut down the field a bit. The answer to your question depends on which Aiglet you want to try to make into which military Auster, or vice-versa

When you say Aiglet, do you mean the J/1B Aiglet or the considerably different J/5 Aiglet Trainer (and there are a couple of sub-variants of the J/5 Aiglet Trainer)? 

On the military versions you mention "Auster 4/5/6", and the IV and V are very similar, but the AOP.6 has substantial differences from the earlier pair. In addition to having different flaps (the IV and V also have flaps, but more conventional ones) the 6 also has a longer undercarriage, and of course the inline Gipsy Major rather than the flat-four Lycoming 0-290, with the Lyc having opposite prop rotation to the Gipsy Major

• Like 1

Yes I agree, with WIP, we need more info.  Austers and their sup-variants are a minefield!  I am rebuilding a T.7 to factory specs and can help with later 6 & 7 variants easily.  But for earlier ones  I too will need more specifics.  More than happy to help...especially where Austers are concerned!

Here is my rebuild if you want to see what an Auster looks like as bare bones...

https://www.facebook.com/Austerwe552/

Cheers Anthony

As others have said the Auster family are not just a minefield but insanity it'self. The are one of the most complicated aeroplane families to unravel. The J/5 Aiglet had a 36' span wing but the Aiglet Trainer had a 32' wing. Most of the J/5 family had the larger fin and rudder and internal wing flaps the Mk.6 variants had a 36' span wing but with a different construction and external flaps. They had the small original fin and rudder.

The fuselages started with the Taylorcraft basic frame and the Plus series of pre-war Austers used this frame with a slightly raised cabin roof. This was used by the Auster Mk's 1-3. (Gipsy Major), The Auster IV (4) and V (5) with the Lycoming engine used a new construction with some having flat windscreens and some with curved screens and which basic frame  was the basis for many of the future models such as the J/1 series except the J/2 Arrow (Continental) and J/4 Archer (Cirrus) two seaters which had a version of the Auster V fuselage although oddly the first aircraft was originally registered as a Plus C which does have a different fuselage frame..

All good fun

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Btw

How did the J/1A look in the aft cabin compared with the J/1?

I've searched for pictures of the backseat(s) in the J/1A without success.

I know that the J/1 was a 3-seater and the J/1A was a 4-seater.

How the h... did they manage to get two persons in the backseat(s)??

The J/1A had a single forwards facing seat which would accommodate two people and was intended for joyriding. I have a notion that the rear cabin top was more bulged. They had a poor performance and most reverted to three people only.  Most of the J/1's were three seat and the third seat was across the cabin as in the Auster IV.  The J/5 Autocar was a proper four seat aircraft and this is why the  rear cabin and fuselage were raised.

John

• Like 2