1/72nd Old Airfix, Buccaneer S.2 Red Flag 1977

Hiya Folks,

I don`t think I`ve posted this `oldie' before,.... built from the old Airfix Bucc kit,... first of,..... here are some pics of the real thing;

buccaneer-red-flag-3.jpgbuccaneer-red-flag.jpgbuccaneer-red-flag-4.jpgbuccaneer-red-flag-2.jpg

And here is the model,..... on the real aircraft the Light Stone and Dark Earth scheme was applied over the normal DE/DG/LAG scheme, leaving the rear fuselage in the original colours due to jet efflux and the nose radar radome clear too,...... so I tried to replicate this,..... the scheme was brush painted; 

Red-Flag-Bucc-1.jpg

Red-Flag-Bucc-2.jpg

Red-Flag-Bucc-5.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 49

It’s good to see a Buccaneer in those colours.  Apparently the “desert” camouflage was applied using an alkaline removable temporary finish that was supposed to wash off easily; unfortunately the heat in Nevada baked the paint rock-hard and it took quite some time to get off.

• Like 2

Apparently the “desert” camouflage was applied using an alkaline removable temporary finish that was supposed to wash off easily; unfortunately the heat in Nevada baked the paint rock-hard and it took quite some time to get off.

Just like the Jaguar's from GW1 

• Like 1

Thanks again fella`s,...... the Bucc does look cool in those colours. Imagine a Vulcan finished like this!!....... In fact,...... wasn`t Vulcan B2 XM607 finished with desert coloured undersides at the same Red Flag in 1977? Imagine if they had gone the whole hog and done the top too, what do you think Neil https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/4520-woody37/ !;

vulcan-desert-colours.jpgvulcan-desert-scheme-3.jpg

Cheers again folks!

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

That's absolutely stunning Tony. The Buccaneer really does look good in that particular scheme. 

Your artistry with a brush is superb as ever. If you don't mind me asking, which is your preferred brand of paint brush? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cngaero said:

That's absolutely stunning Tony. The Buccaneer really does look good in that particular scheme. 

Your artistry with a brush is superb as ever. If you don't mind me asking, which is your preferred brand of paint brush? 

Cheers Chris,..... there are a few brushes that I tend to go for where possible,... Sable if I can get them,.......Pro Arte are good,...or Sceptre Gold. They are quite expensive but if you look after them they last quite well. Wide Flat brushes are good for covering a large area.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2019 at 12:25 PM, Paulaero said:

Superb work just goes to show the great work that can be done with an oldie, just need to get your hands on the new tool one now...

Cheers Paul,...... you`ll love the new kit.

Very nice Tony. I did a Matchbox Bucc the same way a long time ago. As for the Vulcan with the same colours in the underside, I saw it fly over Mildenhalll some years ago now during one of my visits that way Thought it very odd. It reminds me of an amusing story I once read in an Air Force magazine, An American officer visiting a Vulcan unit commented on the upper surface camo and asked the crew how do they hide when it snows... the answer was..." We fly upside down!"

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Very nice Tony. I did a Matchbox Bucc the same way a long time ago. As for the Vulcan with the same colours in the underside, I saw it fly over Mildenhalll some years ago now during one of my visits that way Thought it very odd. It reminds me of an amusing story I once read in an Air Force magazine, An American officer visiting a Vulcan unit commented on the upper surface camo and asked the crew how do they hide when it snows... the answer was..." We fly upside down!"

Cheers Paul,...... I read that about the Vulcan too,...... typical Brit humour!! Fancy seeing it,...... I bet you gave a double take upon seeing that!  

On 10/27/2019 at 10:47 PM, tonyot said:

Thanks again fella`s,...... the Bucc does look cool in those colours. Imagine a Vulcan finished like this!!....... In fact,...... wasn`t Vulcan B2 XM607 finished with desert coloured undersides at the same Red Flag in 1977? Imagine if they had gone the whole hog and done the top too, what do you think Neil https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/4520-woody37/ !;

vulcan-desert-colours.jpgvulcan-desert-scheme-3.jpg

Cheers again folks!

Tony

Great idea! I've never built a Vulcan though not sure why but if I do, think this will have to be the scheme :)

• Like 1