What size are the Carley Floats for the Illustrious Class

Exkiwiforces

Does anyone know what size were the Carley Floats on the Illustrious Class Carriers during WW2 and does anyone know how many were on the Illustrious Class carrier (I have a rough idea) Before i buy a set of 50 odd off Shapeways. 

Yes I’m building a Illustrious Class Carrier atm, as I don’t have any 507C paint as the last can I had has gone off, so can’t finish off any my current builds underway and I don’t have razor saw either to any of my two DKM Battlecruiser or the heavy cruiser.

I’ve tried looking in my copy of the David Hobbs “Aircraft Carrier Victorious detailed in original builders’ plans” book, and I can’t find any definite answer re Carley float size.  By eye they look to be approx 6’ wide by 10’ long, if that helps?

On 29/10/2019 at 06:11, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’ve tried looking in my copy of the David Hobbs “Aircraft Carrier Victorious detailed in original builders’ plans” book, and I can’t find any definite answer re Carley float size.  By eye they look to be approx 6’ wide by 10’ long, if that helps?

Cheers Mate and I was thinking that I wasn’t going to get reply as the days went on. As I went through every book I had on RN/ Commonwealth Carriers and now the Man Cave is a bomb site.

Anyway I had a crack at guessing the size of  the Carely Floats using my old recon skills from my time as NZ Armoured Jock Pong’o using the average height of a RN Pirate to a known size of a Carley Float and roughly came up with 11ft long and 7ft wide (close to the 12ft  long and 7ft wide Carley Float). Or the other idea was to flick an email off the RN Museum and ask the question? 

But i’ve just brought a book off eBay that I’ve never heard or seen before and it’s part of 3 set volume, which apparently came out in 1996 called design and construction of British Warships from WW2 and I’m hoping it may some further interesting information.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2019 at 21:00, gamevender said:

I used them on my Illustrious. Here's what they look like in place.

DSCN4981

Thanks for the picture and is there any chance of having a look at your flight deck markings as I can’t make any sense of the idiots guide that comes with the model?