E.E Canberra

twp1

Finally worked out how to put pictures on here so please forgive me for the poor presentation of this kit.

This is Canberra T.17A WD955 as it appeared in 1994.

The base kit was Airfix's 1:48 Canberra B(i).6/B.20 which I modified with Alley Cat Models conversation kit.

The base is scratch built. spacer.png

• Like 31

It’s nice to see a model like this that hasn’t been “weathered” half to death and back.  ‘955 was, I think, the boss’s jet so would probably have been billed up a bit more than her fleet mates.

Whatever you used for your antenna wire could do with a bit of tightening up: if you used stretched sprue the application of a little heat close by from something like a soldering iron should do the job.

Like Paulaero I’ve got a Classic Airframes kit kicking around that I want to do in the Squadron’s original colours; I hope I can get a result half as good as this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paulaero said:

That's a great finish , the red tail really sets it off, I have a Classic Airframes one of these in  the stash

Wish I'd know about the classic airframe kit before I started this converstion😂

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

It’s nice to see a model like this that hasn’t been “weathered” half to death and back.  ‘955 was, I think, the boss’s jet so would probably have been billed up a bit more than her fleet mates.

Whatever you used for your antenna wire could do with a bit of tightening up: if you used stretched sprue the application of a little heat close by from something like a soldering iron should do the job.

Like Paulaero I’ve got a Classic Airframes kit kicking around that I want to do in the Squadron’s original colours; I hope I can get a result half as good as thi

Thanks stever219, Looking at reference shots of '955 there were a few discoloured panels but other than that it was quite clean so left it as it is. 

The antenna was clear monofilament line painted black. It was tight to start with but has sagged over time. Depending on the temperature depends on how tight it goes. Haven't figured out how to sort it yet so have left it for fear of ballsing it up.

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Wow- she's a beaut! How did you manage to match the red of the squadron bars for the fin?

Mike

Thanks 72modeler.  I've just looked at the red on the fin and bars.  I think it is the camera being kind, they are different shades.  I used humbrol gloss red on the fin but the bars look more like humbrol 153

3 minutes ago, twp1 said:

Thanks 72modeler.  I've just looked at the red on the fin and bars.  I think it is the camera being kind, they are different shades.  I used humbrol gloss red on the fin but the bars look more like humbrol 153

My lips are sealed!

Mike

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, twp1 said:

Wish I'd know about the classic airframe kit before I started this converstion😂

You have probably had an easier time carrying out the conversion than you would have had with the CA kit.  At least the nose blisters are more accurate from Alley Cat.

lovely result with this one. 👍

Chris.

15 hours ago, stringbag said:

You have probably had an easier time carrying out the conversion than you would have had with the CA kit.  At least the nose blisters are more accurate from Alley Cat.

lovely result with this one. 👍

Chris.

Wow, how bad is the CA kit then! The converstion was awkward enough 😂