Airfix Nimrod MR2P "Maid of Moray

Andy350

13 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Here's a nice pic of the Nimrod Searchlight for you:

spacer.png

This one's on an MR.2 but the MR.1 light was similar. I can tell you from experience, they are damn bright, too! Made a wrong turn onto a taxiway at Kinloss and some smart alec gave me a demonstration! 🙂

Kev

Does anyone know what colour the inside of the hood would be, it looks a black colour matching the rear of the housing?

15 hours ago, stever219 said:

One way to avoid streaks or ridges when brush painting is to use a wide flat brush and well-thinned paint.  Which brand of paint did you use?  Xtracolour tends to take much longer to dry in my experience than Humbrol, even using a hairdryer on it doesn’t help much.

You may need to bite the bullet and either rub down or remove the existing paint; wet and dry paper, used wet, can give good results but you’ll need to be careful around raised detail and parts such as aerials.  Mr Muscle oven cleaner or brake fluid can also get rid of unwanted paint, but experiment on a bit of scrap plastic first.  Whatever you do I hope it works because, as Learstang said, too much work invested by you and too good a subject to go to the Shelf of Doom.

To be honest I've cracked Xtracolor enamels, I've found that having rubbed down subject and left to dry in airing cupboard then spray on several mist coats. I then use a plastic storage box with a lid on back in the airing cupboard overnight and its rock hard... bit like baking car paint in an oven. Over the years I 've had to work to some very tight time scales and its never let me down and the result has been a rock hard high gloss finish ready to do battle with the 'show circuit' !!   

I hope to demonstrate it when I get the paint on the Bucc

Paul

• Thanks 1

On 06/11/2019 at 19:24, modelman182 said:

spacer.png

This one's on an MR.2 but the MR.1 light was similar. I can tell you from experience, they are damn bright, too! Made a wrong turn onto a taxiway at Kinloss and some smart alec gave me a demonstration! 🙂

Kev

I made an attempt to replicate this using foil, but, it hasn't come out that well.  The foil was difficult to work with.  Need to decide whether to start again with just pain, or try and foil again?

49033261958_ebdcd3b13b.jpg

This hasn't been the most enjoyable build, issue with paint and assembly, my own fault.  The masking of the canopy failed, I've now got to free hand this, and I'm no good at free handing.  The doors keep falling off, this is because there is too much paint on the fuselage, and I'm clumsy so I keep knocking them.  Broke the front wheel strut, again me being clumsy.  I need to touch up some of the windows as the masking failed.  I think I know why I had problems with the mask, the enamel pain was too think and so it pealed off.

49036785996_f5c14366ac_b.jpg

49036284883_c7e74fcbc3_b.jpg

49036783431_51f472bb1f.jpg

• Like 4

Apart from some spots that I need to paint and fixing the doors I'm almost done.  This was always something I was going to use to gain some experience before I start on some other more expensive builds.  I've done what I can with the canopy as I really struggle to apply liquid mask.  Not how the decals will go, there are a lot of them and some are very small.

49054268076_1a298cc56b_b.jpg

49054481107_d160eee6a7_b.jpg

• Like 3

Just a small point Andy. The instructions have you install the main landing gear D doors open as you have done, but on the real thing these doors are only open during gear extension and retraction. The only time they are open on the ground is for maintenance when they are physically disconnected from the actuator. 
She’s looking very smart now with the decals on. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Just a small point Andy. The instructions have you install the main landing gear D doors open as you have done, but on the real thing these doors are only open during gear extension and retraction. The only time they are open on the ground is for maintenance when they are physically disconnected from the actuator. 
She’s looking very smart now with the decals on. 

Thanks fur the information. I should be able to remove and refit. 

I've made a decision o leave off all of the small decals on this one, It's taken longer than expected.  So I am going to apply the matt finish at some point today.  Not sure what peoples thoughts on this is, and whether I should have carried on.

49058636082_e40c6c5c9a_b.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks fur the information. I should be able to remove and refit. 

Fortunately it’s an easy fix. Connecting/disconnecting the real things were a bit of a faff but was a source of mirth when you got the fattest rigger on the team to do it. 

Edited by Rickoshea52
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Fortunately it’s an easy fix. Connecting/disconnecting the real things were a bit of a faff but was a source of mirth when you got the fattest rigger on the team to do it. 

It's quite a good solid join so I will leave for now.  Did you work on them?

On 13/11/2019 at 07:49, Andy350 said:

I've made a decision o leave off all of the small decals on this one, It's taken longer than expected.  So I am going to apply the matt finish at some point today.  Not sure what peoples thoughts on this is, and whether I should have carried on.

49058636082_e40c6c5c9a_b.jpg

Don't we all just leave off the decals that are so small you can hardly arm them though? 😂

Looking really nice, shame about the paint problems but hey ho each build is a learning curve. She will look quite impressive when you are done!

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, modelman182 said:

spacer.png

Kev

During a Cadet camp at Kinloss last century (!) I was told you couldn't have the light switch on when on the ground as it would melt the Perspex cover, not sure if that was true or not though!

Bob

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

During a Cadet camp at Kinloss last century (!) I was told you couldn't have the light switch on when on the ground as it would melt the Perspex cover, not sure if that was true or not though!

It could be turned on when on the ground - it needed to in order to test. However, there was a time limit, somewhere in the region of a few seconds.\

They were tested at the end of a major and I remember they always had to schedule it in the evenings when the hangar was mostly empty - and plenty of warnings signs around

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Just noticed I had place the 50 in the wrong place!!!!  Not a good idea doing decals when tired.

49065411256_5e32a20cb9_z.jpg

You may be able to float it back off using water and/or Micro Set and a size 0 or 1 paint brush.  Patience and/or bad language may also assist.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the pointers with this one, I've done as much of the decals I wanted to do.  I'm happy with it as it is.  I couldn't move the 50, so that another lesson learnt "pay attention".  Will mist up with some matt finish tomorrow morning and post up finished pic.  Happy to be critiqued, third model now.

• Like 1

Well done, Andy! 👏 You’re performed a lot of work on the Nimrod here, I hope to seeing her in the RFI Section soon.

2 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Not a good idea doing decals when tired.

Yes, it’s very important to take a break from time to time.

• Like 1