RAF Twin Pioneer Colours - Help Please

Kiwikitbasher

I plan to finish my Valom Twin Pin in the box art scheme:

spacer.png 

Valom's painting guide only uses generic colour names, but I assume the camo is RAF dark green/dark sea grey over light sea grey, or light aircraft grey? or should the undersides be aluminum as they could possibly be in this image?

spacer.png 

Unlike their box-art, Valom's painting guide has the undersides the same colour as the upper camo grey, which is clealy wrong. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Kiwikitbasher

I would say that it is Dark Sea Grey, Dark Green and Aluminium undersides.

Here are some photos of the aircraft,..... note the black number 20 was most likely added after it became a ground instructional airframe (when the serial was changed on the fuselage to 7979M) ,...I think it was at Halton off the top of my head?,..... Note the Vulcan with the number 30 behind too.

It served with the Short Range Conversion Unit (SRCU) at RAF Odiham, as seen with the markings on the nose, this unit had 3 x Twin Pins on charge;

twin-pin-etps.jpg

Twin-Pioneer-CC-1-XM961.jpg

twin-pin-looks-like-32-sqn.jpg

Good luck,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

I would say that it is Dark Sea Grey, Dark Green and Aluminium undersides.

Here are some photos of the aircraft,..... note the black number 20 was most likely added after it became a ground instructional airframe (when the serial was changed on the fuselage to 7979M) ,...I think it was at Halton off the top of my head?,..... Note the Vulcan with the number 30 behind too.

It served with the Short Range Conversion Unit (SRCU) at RAF Odiham, as seen with the markings on the nose, this unit had 3 x Twin Pins on charge;

twin-pin-etps.jpg

Twin-Pioneer-CC-1-XM961.jpg

twin-pin-looks-like-32-sqn.jpg

Good luck,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony,

That's a big help, the photos too. Upon doing a bit more reading, I think that aluminium undersides were changed to light aircraft grey from 1966 onwards, but I shall use aluminium.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiwikitbasher said:

Thanks Tony,

That's a big help, the photos too. Upon doing a bit more reading, I think that aluminium undersides were changed to light aircraft grey from 1966 onwards, but I shall use aluminium.

Yes, Light Aircraft Grey was introduced in 1966 but aircraft received the new undersurface colour as part of their maintenance schedule and aluminum undersurfaces remained on some aircraft for some time. As this aircraft was withdrawn from service in 1967, it makes sense that she never received LAG undersides.

• Like 2

It was also really, really hard to tell one from the other on aircraft which had done a bit. The Aluminium paint was reasonably aluminium-looking when it was shiny new but looked quite grey and dull after a few years. Hunters are notorious for this.  

When I am going for this kind of effect in acrylics I generally mix some white or pale grey with the aluminum, 50:50, and then thin it all with some satin varnish. (Some makes of paint will then need additional thinning for airbrushing.) Airbrushes smoothly and looks about right when it's dry.  

• Like 1

Thank you both for the additional advice, it makes good sense.

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Yes, Light Aircraft Grey was introduced in 1966 but aircraft received the new undersurface colour as part of their maintenance schedule and aluminum undersurfaces remained on some aircraft for some time. As this aircraft was withdrawn from service in 1967, it makes sense that she never received LAG undersides.

56 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

It was also really, really hard to tell one from the other on aircraft which had done a bit. The Aluminium paint was reasonably aluminium-looking when it was shiny new but looked quite grey and dull after a few years. Hunters are notorious for this.  

When I am going for this kind of effect in acrylics I generally mix some white or pale grey with the aluminum, 50:50, and then thin it all with some satin varnish. (Some makes of paint will then need additional thinning for airbrushing.) Airbrushes smoothly and looks about right when it's dry.