1/24 Hasegawa Ford Thunderbird 66

Hi guys, here is another car project and I really do have my work cut out with this one, it’s been in my stash for about 5 years, dug it out last week and took a peek at it, good points are that it has a very nice accurate looking body and all the fenders and details on the outside of the car look good, however inside was very poor, no engine bay, and worst of all very inaccurate seats and dash.

Not surprising really as the 66 T-Bird had very elaborate seat and dash detailing, so what to do? Well, looking at YouTube videos I found that the convertible versions looked much better, so I decided to bite the bullet and cut the roof off! Now this committed me to scratch building and modifying the kit interior details, the main objective was to give a fairly good representation of a top down 66 T-Bird that was ready to cruise or had just been fully restored to show winning condition.

Here are some photos of a restored 66 T-Bird that I am trying to copy in model form. I decided the body would be painted in blue metallic with white leather and blue interior, with lashings of chrome details. So I hope to update you with progress soon, now where’s that hacksaw?

St1CWTz.jpg
TgPb1d4.jpg
KMEgdGH.jpg
Sai6z5C.png
9sQTyPI.png
GaVShCa.png
P2se8fo.png
MVph4d0.png
qpUHMNL.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I didn't know that Hasegawa made a Thunderbird kit. Should be a good one though. 

Sorry to say i was not really impressed,yes the body and chrome parts looked good,but the seats and dash were rubbish,and the fit of the wheel covers and lower valance under the front bumber was terrible,not what i was expecting,i was on the verge of binning the kit until i saw how cool the convertible looked.

They are indeed a very nice looking car. You could always build it as a retromod?

Something by Chip Foose or one of the recently featured American custom builders on TV, (Kindig for instance).

Lowered slightly (air suspension) and retromod gives you the freedom to build the interior as you see fit/as the spares box allows.

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

They are indeed a very nice looking car. You could always build it as a retromod?

Something by Chip Foose or one of the recently featured American custom builders on TV, (Kindig for instance).

Lowered slightly (air suspension) and retromod gives you the freedom to build the interior as you see fit/as the spares box allows.

Thanks Pete,good idea about the upgrade mods,but i think that's just taking the easy way out,my work day restoration projects always demands originality as much as possible and so it's kind of ingrained in me to strive for that,so expect the end result to look as close to the real car images as i can get.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

As luck would have it this months Classic bike guide magazine has a 7 page spread on my recently restored 1977 GS750B,if you fancy checking out my full time day work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone here are a few photos showing the mods that I have made to the interior as well as scratch building the rear boot which famously opens up to stow the soft roof. I have added a final photo of the painted seat and dash layout ready for installation into the soon to be painted body. Next update will be the final reveal.

nFQif8x.jpg
zck7EtD.jpg
5wScUzk.jpg
Mp41d5v.jpg
yo5iwIw.jpg
PThO82q.jpg

• Like 5