Voroshilovets Tractor trumpeter 1/35

Hi All,

Here's the Trumpeter Voroshilovets tractor. Great kit with excellent detail and good tracks. I have ordered the 203mm tracked howitzer to go with it. Painted with Mr Colour Russian Green and weathered with the kitchen sink. Unusual looking vehicle much coveted by the Germans apparently. Usual C+C welcome. Thanks  David

IMG_1465

IMG_1461 IMG_1445 IMG_1443 IMG_1455

• Like 28

Very nicely done.

It's a bit of a Steampunk vehicle with that very basic, almost crude, suspension.  Basic but functional: i.e. Russian!  Germans loved them because they worked across a range of climatic conditions and with the T-34's V2 engine at 350bhp it had loads of power, and they had nothing like it.

I imagine so at about 30 tonnes for a T-34.  The Voroshilovets was primarily used as an tractor for artillery in the 20-tonne range.  However, there are pictures online of a Voroshilovets towing a 28-tonne T-28 and a 45-tonne T-35.

IIRC, for Red Square May Day parades during its service era in the 40's and into the 50's a Voroshilovets was stationed by the Gum department store to deal with any breakdowns.  In the 30's the earlier Komintern tractor was used.

Online images can be misleading as the visually similar but essentially-experimental AT-45 appears a lot.  This was basically a Voroshilovets cab and body grafted onto a T-34 chassis and presumably boasting the T-34's full 500bhp.  But only 7 were ever built.  Interesting conversion idea, though.

6 hours ago, 4509davidb said:

I think it will look better towing the howitzer rather than a T34

Trumpeter would be the choice for the weapon these days, rather than the old Eastern Express/Alan/Maquette kit.  I would still recommend getting the RB Models aluminium barrel (35B52) as the kit barrel is in halves.  The B4 is a big beast, and fortunately Trumpeter provide the dolly towing wheels for the trail.

Or you could do a German one towing a 17cm Haubitze or 21cm Morser, although these were generally moved any distance with the barrel removed on a separate trailer behind another tractor.

MiniArt have a couple of figure sets you could use bits from to make a travelling crew: Soviet Jeep Crew, Soviet Soldiers Riders and Soviet Soldiers Taking a Break.  Their WW2 Drivers set has a couple of Russian figures suitable for the cab.  RB Model do shells for the B4, but no bag charges.  To my knowledge, no-one does crated B4 ammunition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

You've done a great job with this beast. It does look to be an excellent kit. I do like the finishes you've achieved everywhere, including the canvas tarp, but regarding that, I think the modelling of the tarp is probably the weakest part of the model. (Just to clarify, that's the manufacturer's doing) Personally, I'd have replaced it with a real fabric with better straps/buckles and creases. Still, it's a lot better than most tarps and I'd certainly use the kit's one if I messed up the replacement!!

Rearguards,

Badder