dH Hornet F3

Another finisher from the FROG Squad GB, this was my attempt at improving what FROG provided.  

Off the top of my head, I did the following:

- removed the moulded in interior detail and scratched a 'pit

- removed the fin and dorsal fillet; replaced with a cut down Airfix Mossie fin and scratch-built strake

- reshaped nose and tail cone with milliput

- removed raised lip at rear of cockpit opening

- opened up and enlarged radiator inlets; added scratchbuilt rad detail

- thinned down wing leading edges drastically,  moving point of max thickness rearward

- cleaned up landing gear legs and added support stays from brass tube

- replaced tailwheel with Vampire nose gear

- replaced main wheels with resin examples

- reshaped and rescribed engine nacelles

- added spar caps, and fuse main spar cover from Tamiya tape

- added nav lights from clear styrene

- drilled out cannon troughs

- windscreen cut from clear sheet to dimensions supplied by @David A Collins

-  smash moulded canopy

- added bomb racks from Airfix Typhoon and bombs from Tamiya Mosquito

- substituted rocket tail fins from the Hobbyboss Typhoon

Phew!  Not surprising it took me over 3 months.

The decals are from the kit and Xtradecal RAF roundels.  Paint was xtracrylics PRU blue and dark sea grey plus Tamiya dark green rattle can (not the RAF dark green, I later realised!).

The observant will spot the howler I made when painting the camouflage.

Enjoy!

Martin

2019-10-20_10-26-09 2019-10-20_10-25-48 2019-10-20_10-25-29 2019-10-20_10-25-13 2019-10-20_10-24-48 2019-10-20_10-24-33

• Like 25

That really is very nice,one of those A/C that look fast standing still !!  remember building a couple of theses that I bought in about 1981 for 10p each  from our local newsagent who found a box of them and thought they were junk as they were so old !! 😂

• Thanks 1

A super looking Hornet.  All that work you put in has certainly paid off.  I think this scheme is one of the most attractive the type wore, exclusive to 41 Squadron as far as I can tell.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, David A Collins said:

Very nice Mike.

Quite possibly the best Frog Hornet in town with all those mods!

Excellent windscreen too 😀

😉

• 4 weeks later...

That's fabulous and bears testament to your excellent modelling skills. 

From a less confident modellers point of view, how would this compare to the Special Hobby (?) version. Is it a far superior moulding negating the need for much of your fine work, or is the Frog still a good starting point? 

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2019 at 11:39 AM, HP42 said:

That's fabulous and bears testament to your excellent modelling skills. 

From a less confident modellers point of view, how would this compare to the Special Hobby (?) version. Is it a far superior moulding negating the need for much of your fine work, or is the Frog still a good starting point? 

Apologies @HP42 for the late response; I hadn't seen your post previously.

I have also built the SH kit and, although a superior moulding with recessed panel lines, it is not an easy build.  Some of this is due to its short run nature, but some is due to poor design: as examples, if assembled as is, the wings have about 10° dihedral; and the spinners are of a smaller diameter than the engine cowlings, so look silly when added.

Finally, the kit is not accurate: the windscreen and nose are incorrect and to me this spoils the look of the aircraft; also the upper wings and tailplanes have many panel lines that don't exist on the real aircraft.

Taking all the above into account, I think the that it'd probably be about as difficult to get an accurate Hornet out of it than just starting from the FROG kit.  There is definitely a gap in the 1:72 market for a new tool accurate and detailed Hornet at a reasonable price.  Imho only, of course.

Happy modelling!

Martin

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2019 at 7:30 AM, mike romeo said:

Thank you.

I think the Hornet would be a good candidate for an Airfix re-tool just on its looks alone.

Regards

Martin

Absolutely agree. But will we ever see it? Great job on the Frog kit though. 

• Thanks 1