Scorpion & Scimitar Falklands camouflage & colours

LaurieS

I can find loads of pictures but all black & white.

Need the camouflage pattern plus the colours used.

I have seen some clues but as seems, as always, conflicting evidence.

Any knowledge gratefully received. 100 points for the winner plus a

trip to the Falklnds ( by film)  😀

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

nothing changed from the standard pattern for this conflict, with the exception of any darkening of markings etc., so look for images of these vehicles pre-conflict and you shouldn't be far out.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hi Laurie,

nothing changed from the standard pattern for this conflict, with the exception of any darkening of markings etc., so look for images of these vehicles pre-conflict and you shouldn't be far out.

cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike for your time. Perfect info.

Laurie

Not all were black and green, there are a lot of photos of just plain green vehicles, bearing in mind that most of these had come from the Household division and not BAOR units, memory is not what it was but certainly not all were camouflaged 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old pro said:

Not all were black and green, there are a lot of photos of just plain green vehicles, bearing in mind that most of these had come from the Household division and not BAOR units, memory is not what it was but certainly not all were camouflaged 

Thanks very much for that info. Very kind of you.

Think perhaps I produce one green the other camouflaged.

Think also that as they were household division & spent weeks getting to the Falklands they

would be in immacualte paint condition. Would that be you guess.

Thanks again Laurie

The guys who deployed to the Falklands would of undergone some pretty intensive training and qualification certification before if time allowed so they might not of been as immaculate as you think ;).

I know a lot of the brigade did a lot of training down on Dartmoor as the weather and conditions were similar to the Falklands so I would imagine the CVRT lads would of had some time on the ranges and lots of refresher training. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

The guys who deployed to the Falklands would of undergone some pretty intensive training and qualification certification before if time allowed so they might not of been as immaculate as you think ;).

I know a lot of the brigade did a lot of training down on Dartmoor as the weather and conditions were similar to the Falklands so I would imagine the CVRT lads would of had some time on the ranges and lots of refresher training. 

Thanks again great info. I am actually on a mission. About 22 models on two dioramas of the Falklands.

40% Argentinian. 60% British..  Finished near half of the British & two Argentinian aircraft. The dreaded Etendard the deliverer of the dreaded Exocet.

Cheerss

Laurie

• Like 1

There are a few coloured photos online of CVR(T) in the Falklands.  As noted above, some are IRR Green and Black and some appear to be gloss Deep Bronze Green (but may just be wet!).  Ammo boxes added as stowage boxes around the hull seem to be common.

Argentine armour seems to have been either plain olive green (LVTP-7) or green and light earth (AML-90) - the latter hardly being appropriate camo for the Falklands.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

There are a few coloured photos online of CVR(T) in the Falklands.  As noted above, some are IRR Green and Black and some appear to be gloss Deep Bronze Green (but may just be wet!).  Ammo boxes added as stowage boxes around the hull seem to be common.

Argentine armour seems to have been either plain olive green (LVTP-7) or green and light earth (AML-90) - the latter hardly being appropriate camo for the Falklands.

Thanks Das.

Could you point me in the direction of these photos. Spent a time looking but found very difficult to get except black & white.

Laurie

21 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Thanks very much for that info. Very kind of you.

Think perhaps I produce one green the other camouflaged.

Think also that as they were household division & spent weeks getting to the Falklands they

would be in immacualte paint condition. Would that be you guess.

Thanks again Laurie

They would have been pretty much clean vehicles, there was no extensive training before hand as was quoted at the time, everything was put together over a weekend when pretty everywhere was shut so there were no pre deployment exercises like there are today, the only training undertaken was during the stop off at the Ascension Island which mostly consisted of range practice for the scimitars and scorpions, that said once in theatre the vehicles quickly became dirty due to the boggy terrain.

• Like 1

Indebted to you thank you very much.

Yes i guessed they would be very muddied up on the Falklands.

I put together a 15min film using all the pictures I could collect. Some great picture but

despite all the research no Skimitars & Scorpions.

Sad as the only 1/48 I could get were wargaming models. Qutie nice but not quite what I really desired.

Thanks again

Laurie

The range of military vehicles in 1/48 is still very small compared to other scales.  Had Airfix been a little braver - and had their 1/48 offerings been a little better - they might have found a market niche for other British and modern vehicles in that scale.  Very little of the kit used in the Falklands is available.

Gaso.Line have a passable 1/48 Scorpion/Scimitar (at €30!) http://www.phpshopxml.com/quakit.shop/CID/22053d0d0ddd001a87c85f9863f14891/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/BV01

They also have the Panhard AML-90 as used by Argentina on Las Islas Malvinas http://www.phpshopxml.com/quakit.shop/CID/22053d0d0ddd001a87c85f9863f14891/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/HLBSFR01

The Airfix Land Rovers need a lot of backdating to make Series 3 GS or FFR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Das Abteilung said:

The range of military vehicles in 1/48 is still very small compared to other scales.  Had Airfix been a little braver - and had their 1/48 offerings been a little better - they might have found a market niche for other British and modern vehicles in that scale.  Very little of the kit used in the Falklands is available.

Gaso.Line have a passable 1/48 Scorpion/Scimitar (at €30!) http://www.phpshopxml.com/quakit.shop/CID/22053d0d0ddd001a87c85f9863f14891/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/BV01

They also have the Panhard AML-90 as used by Argentina on Las Islas Malvinas http://www.phpshopxml.com/quakit.shop/CID/22053d0d0ddd001a87c85f9863f14891/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/HLBSFR01

That is the one I am building actually made by Empress.

Agree on the Landrovers. For the Falklands diorama I used tw Airfix Army Snatch & convereted to a Series 2 & 3.

http://HWicVq.jpg KiGVxT.jpg OgYDJm.jpg waXb7F.jpg

2 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Like to thank you very much for all the info & taking the time.

Laurie

Laurie

Laurie

On 11/1/2019 at 7:21 AM, Das Abteilung said:

Heck their AML-90 is more like a caricature of the real thing.

Edited by dcrfan