1959 - First Flight of the Vickers Vanguard

As promised, to support @Rabbit Leader's inspirational GB, here is my entry - an Airfix 'Red Stripe' boxing of the Vickers Vangaurd. This aircraft beat me to it in 1959 as it first flew in January of that year whereas I didn't appear until September - I'm sure it had most of it's 'wrinkles' sorted out by then. OK, I'll admit it - it's just another excuse to build an ancient Airfix kit but another one I didn't do as a kid so a bit of catching up going on!

The usual exciting box art...

ZCMwqn7.jpg

Here are the parts and they include two 'poppers' for the decals over the windows, since there were two sizes of oval windows. Someone has been in and put some paint on the fuselage but no matter. The transfers look to be cracked in parts but I won't rush to replace them just yet.

zq3RFMW.jpg

Outside of the Instructions....

e9YSAMj.jpg

Inside of the Instructions - looks like they made a mistake when feeding some through the photo-copier - done the same myself, many a time! I 'll have to download a set of the Instructions from the Airfix Tribute website. Fairly simple build, though.

vsFnbbn.jpg

I must tick off the ones I've got....

3EG6Hvm.jpg

This kit was first released in 1962 and the Instruction Sheet opens with 'Airfix introduce the Skyking Series......' - stirring stuff! It's great to read everything about the Vanguard in the present tense - at that time, the Vanguard was a fresh fact of life rather just a misty-eyed memory of a powerful old aircraft, as it is today - a bit like myself, really (no tittering at the back, please!)

N8D0QMA.jpg

Wiki says 44 were built and were flying up to 1996 (as cargo 'Merchantmen'). A long and successful career, I think,  

• Like 7

You probably know this already but Max Headroom is doing a Vanguard conversion on the "Film, Fictional and Speculative" GB and I doubt he will be using his decs. Judging by the light grey colour of his plastic it may be a later moulding and perhaps the decs will be in better shape, though they may be a later livery. Just a thought!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Huge apologies for the late welcome to this GB Mike. So good to have to on board with another Classic kit to hone your skills - which has me thinking ‘do you actually own any modern day tooled kits?’ .. I’ve never had this kit and besides the old 747 that I botched as a young lad don’t think I’ve ever owned the others in this great Skyking series. 

All the best and we look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Whilst the vast majority of my kits are in 1/72 scale I did build quite a few of the Airfix 1/144 airliners - Concorde (x2), BAC111, Comet, VC10, Trident, Boeing 707, 727, 747 and the rather unique HP42 Heracles. Unfortunately they all seem to have got lost when I moved house in the late 1970's - suppose I must have thrown them out though I can't remember. With hindsight I wish I had kept them but these things happen. These days there is a far bigger selection including both modern and older planes but I just don't have the storage space. Pity! I always like the Vanguard though I never flew on one - did fly on a Viscount but nobody was producing a kit at the time.

Pete

• Like 2

On 24/10/2019 at 17:19, PeterB said:

You probably know this already but Max Headroom is doing a Vanguard conversion on the "Film, Fictional and Speculative" GB and I doubt he will be using his decs. Judging by the light grey colour of his plastic it may be a later moulding and perhaps the decs will be in better shape, though they may be a later livery. Just a thought!

Pete

Didn't know that Pete but had a look now and it looks fascinating - not the original BEA transfers, though. Thanks for thinking about it. If I need new transfers then I'll probably have to order them from Airfix since they have these included in the latest boxing.

On 24/10/2019 at 17:53, PeterB said:

Here's a link to the latest Airfix instructions

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/3/3/4/691334-97-instructions.pdf

Pete

Thanks again, Pete. Not many parts!

On 24/10/2019 at 19:01, Jinxman said:

Ahhhh - an Airfix red stripe box - looks lovely.

Thanks, Jinxman - I go for the red stripe boxings of Airfix kits whenever I'm in 'nostalgia' mode. Great artwork.

On 26/10/2019 at 20:59, Rabbit Leader said:

Huge apologies for the late welcome to this GB Mike. So good to have to on board with another Classic kit to hone your skills - which has me thinking ‘do you actually own any modern day tooled kits?’ .. I’ve never had this kit and besides the old 747 that I botched as a young lad don’t think I’ve ever owned the others in this great Skyking series. 

All the best and we look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave - yes, I have been amassing the 'new tool' Airfix kits lately and desperate to build one now - got my eye on the 'P-40 STGB' after this one.

On 26/10/2019 at 22:56, PeterB said:

Whilst the vast majority of my kits are in 1/72 scale I did build quite a few of the Airfix 1/144 airliners - Concorde (x2), BAC111, Comet, VC10, Trident, Boeing 707, 727, 747 and the rather unique HP42 Heracles. Unfortunately they all seem to have got lost when I moved house in the late 1970's - suppose I must have thrown them out though I can't remember. With hindsight I wish I had kept them but these things happen. These days there is a far bigger selection including both modern and older planes but I just don't have the storage space. Pity! I always like the Vanguard though I never flew on one - did fly on a Viscount but nobody was producing a kit at the time.

Pete

Yes, Pete, the parts at 1/144 are pretty small and delicate so I won't spend too long fiddling about tring to get props to spin etc. I think I have only flown on a Viscount too - school trip to Switzerland in the early 70's if memory serves. I have seen a Vanguard in the 'tin' though as I am sure I have a picture taken of one at Edinburgh Airport whilst waiting for an uncle to arrive from London. Must dig it out.

Moving on with the construction - bulkheads are in and wings and stabilisers assembled. I've just made up the props, which are a tight fit into the cowlings, and the prop boss pins are impossible to fit through whithout bending the prop blades. Made up the wheel sets. Undercarriage doors are on and I seem to be short of one of the fairings (pitot housing?) under the nose. Steps are made up and I've only 'tacked' the doors in place so hopefully these will pop out again once the paint and cheatline transfers are on.  More white and grey spray on the fuselage next.

rgqHBkY.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 4

On 05/11/2019 at 09:32, CliffB said:

It's always nice to see a 'liner in a GB and it's doubly nice when it's a classic kit as well :)

Cliff

Thanks, Cliff - seems simple to make up but 1/144 is a bit small on the fingers!

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks like you've got that white paint nicely laid on Mike. Looks great.

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave. There has been a bit of re-work involved with the white as each coat takes a while to dry and I keep either touching it and leaving prints or getting the masking/paper stuck to it.

Grey is on the fuselage now and I'm looking at these transfers with a bit of trepidation - can already see cracks which will need touching in and the yellow backing will just have to be a gold liner round the black.

O1Oukzn.jpg

Transfers are on one side and amazingly they didn't explode into pieces - I'm going to let dry and then put on some Decalfix to really glue down. The 'BEA' squares actually cover gaps in the black cheatline transfers and the nose section will need trimming. Sigh of relief, though.

ApOoB08.jpg

Second side of the fuselage is done - the grey paint feels dry but is really soft so has been marking during handling. I'm resigned to touch up with a brush to finish off once the fuselage is together.

First wing was masked and the silver sprayed on. Again, touch ups required on the red. This all needs to be left alone for days to dry.

0IkRR5K.jpg

• Like 5

You seem to have these old decals sorted Mike? Honestly, your'e a better man than I as I'd probably bin them and pay twice the price of the kit for replacements! 

As usual, excellent progress mate.. she's looking tops! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

The transfers have been 'punched' through at the windows and the windows fitted. However, one set was molded wrongly in that it should have been three large windows and a small one rather than four large, so trimming of one window insert was required.

nqKQ3jw.jpg

9X5XPgF.jpg

Resolved now and the two passenger doors on the port side did pop out as hoped, so bulkheads and floors had to be built so that a big empty space was not visible. 24g weight also in the nose to make sure the Vanguard sits on its front wheel.

pO7VrF1.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3

On 16/11/2019 at 02:43, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice going Mike. Hopefully she’ll come together rather quickly. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, Dave, coming together now with fuselage halves joined and the long seams filled and sanded. I'm not getting a good paint job at all - trying to touch up the spray paint by brush does not really work, unfortunately. No zooming in please!

Wings are painted with the black sections under the outer engines and a patch of Gunmetal on top of the nacelles, hardly noticeable - not sure what that is meant to represent - possibly discolouration through outlets of the reverse thrusters. Prop tips to get some yellow next. Undercarriage and stairs are painted, final touch ups required.

vwydrbr.jpg

Stabilisers are on at that dramatic dihedral and there is still touching up required on the white top. I'm hoping that once it is all really dry, I can buff lightly then put on a gloss coat.

HKoAs2M.jpg

Windshield is in and required a good deal of sanding on the top surface to fit in the aperture. Frames painted in by hand. You can still see a mark where the front fuselage sunk in due to excessive cement inside. The stand is coming in handy now for drying off of paint on the fuselage

nczG8l7.jpg

Red carpets are in! The doors will be fixed to the fuselage on this side. Nearly done, last of the transfers to go on. I'm thinking also about a couple of comms and radar aerials. Confession - I found the 'lost' small oval window when I had the fuselage up close to my eyes, checking the cheatline - my eyes had not picked it up and I should have arranged the window strips differently inside. Airfix's reputation has been restored.

0BSZDFF.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 5

This has proved to be a very expensive thread for me.

Inspired by your build, I've just taken delivery of a 1/200 diecast BEA Vanguard - instant gratification!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nice going Mike. I have to say, that BEA scheme is probably one of he nicest airliner schemes. ever designed and it was great to see BA honour this when they painted one of their Airbus A319's earlier this year. The Vanguard is coming along nicely, so all the best for a very productive modelling weekend. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 21/11/2019 at 18:13, CliffB said:

This has proved to be a very expensive thread for me.

Inspired by your build, I've just taken delivery of a 1/200 diecast BEA Vanguard - instant gratification!

Cheers

Cliff

Ooops - I've seen those ads and it is indeed an expensive way of getting a pristine aircraft in your hands. Looks stunning, though.

On 22/11/2019 at 00:43, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice going Mike. I have to say, that BEA scheme is probably one of he nicest airliner schemes. ever designed and it was great to see BA honour this when they painted one of their Airbus A319's earlier this year. The Vanguard is coming along nicely, so all the best for a very productive modelling weekend. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, Dave it is a great scheme from days gone by.

I got this far with my efforts - all the pieces are together now but I've ended up with a horrendous paint job. All but one of the old transfers behaved but I managed to piece together the bits OK. Union Jacks on the nose still to go on (once I have another go at tidying up the paint). Gloss cote (and matt cote in the right places) should help too. Don't those steps at the rear door look steep! - I think the nose wheel is lower than it should be. Anyway, I've posted it up in the Gallery to give my contribution to the completion stats.

VxBO8bU.jpg

Up on the stand but on approach....The engine nacelles could benefit from a bit of different shading with chrome and silver to break up the flat expanse of colour. I think some more modern decal sets include little panel and port markings.

jP5dX7h.jpg

Transfers on the doors will also be re-done.

8trHpFx.jpg

First time I've noticed that red overspray!

Rm9SBQQ.jpg

I've convinced myself now that I need to approach these 1/144 airliner kits differently now - no more spraying before the fuselage goes together. Now that the pressure is off, I'll be fiddling with this for weeks before I finally put it down.

VXbV4TT.jpg

A very unique and enjoyable GB none the less - thanks to Dave @Rabbit Leader for initiating and hosting. It certainly has brought out a wide and unusual range of kits

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 4

Well done Mike. Thanks for pushing this one through to as close to finished as possible, even though you've decided to touch it up here and there. I tend to build up my kits as much as possible before going anywhere near the paint pots. I know we all have different building techniques, however I find it always easier to paint once rather than paint, glue and repaint later. She's come up well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1