1/72nd Valom Albemarle ST.Mk.V, 297 Sqn, RAF Brize Norton 1944

Brilliant job on the Albemarle, Tony! I used to have this kit - looking at your build, I wish I still did. I know it's not the easiest kit, but I'm used to limited-run kits, and am willing to put up with their imperfections if the aircraft is unusual and the result is as good as your model. J-W, I'll second the Valentia - that would be one I'd love to see, rigging and all.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Superb portrayal of the nitially hapless Albemarle.

I do like the restrained and realistic weathering of the D-day stripes – just enough to indicate that they're distemper paint.

An enviable feat of dedicated modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to praise the informed portrayal of the collector rings. All modellers routinely using copper paint, please take note!

Edited by Spitfire31
forgetfulness
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tonyot said:

..... somebody described it as being the love child of  a Mitchell and Blenheim and they are not far wrong there! I might actually photograph it together with a Mitchell tomorrow,.... it is much bigger.

Congrats for finishing it, Tony, let alone finishing it well!  Mitchell and Blenheim is only the beginning- looks like one of those cartoons of an aircraft designed by committee.  I'd like to see the comparison shot you allude to above.

One other comment- those "eye level" shots make the wing look very thick!

bob

• Like 1

A terrific looking Albermarle, Tony.  It may not have cut it as a bomber but there's no denying its importance as an airborne support aircraft.  The weathering looks spot on btw. Do you brush paint your invasion stripes?  they look great.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks really top rate Tony, lovely job all around, some good tips too, against the day I decide to leave mine in the box. ;) :D 

Steve.

Thanks Steve,..... go on,...give it a go,..... it won`t bite!!

11 hours ago, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on the Albemarle, Tony! I used to have this kit - looking at your build, I wish I still did. I know it's not the easiest kit, but I'm used to limited-run kits, and am willing to put up with their imperfections if the aircraft is unusual and the result is as good as your model. J-W, I'll second the Valentia - that would be one I'd love to see, rigging and all.

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason,..... I second the Valentia too! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb portrayal of the nitially hapless Albemarle.

I do like the restrained and realistic weathering of the D-day stripes – just enough to indicate that they're distemper paint.

An enviable feat of dedicated modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to praise the informed portrayal of the collector rings. All modellers routinely using copper paint, please take note!

Thanks Joachim,..... glad you like it. I usedto paint them copper too until I received a comment on BM whch made me realise the error of my ways.

4 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Simply gorgeous. Quite an attractive aeroplane in its own right too.

I'm a sucker for anything withj stripes.

Thanks Eric,..... got to admit that I think it is lovely and a bit ugly all at the same time,......but it does look brutish!! 

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

A terrific looking Albermarle, Tony.  It may not have cut it as a bomber but there's no denying its importance as an airborne support aircraft.  The weathering looks spot on btw. Do you brush paint your invasion stripes?  they look great.

Thanks bud,.... glad you like the weathering,.... I used White spray paint for the white stripes but brush painted the black stripes,...... trying to match the look of those in the photo of the real thing as much as possible,....even where they were thicker than they were supposed to be. 

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Congrats for finishing it, Tony, let alone finishing it well!  Mitchell and Blenheim is only the beginning- looks like one of those cartoons of an aircraft designed by committee.  I'd like to see the comparison shot you allude to above.

One other comment- those "eye level" shots make the wing look very thick!

bob

Cheers Bob,...... yeah I know what you mean! The wing does look very thick,....I agree,...... but as a nation we were very good at building aircrarf with bit thick beefy wings. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Joachim,..... glad you like it. I usedto paint them copper too until I received a comment on BM whch made me realise the error of my ways.

Thanks Eric,..... got to admit that I think it is lovely and a bit ugly all at the same time,......but it does look brutish!! 

Because we all know it was mainly built of wood, I always feel it looks a bit of a lumpen brute. If it had been built from more normal metals, I wonder how much better it could have been. Of course, the Mosquito showed what could be done with a wooden aeroplane - but the Albemarle patently did not make the most out the medium from which it was hewn - or indeed, whittled.

• 2 years later...

I cant see the photos for some reason.  But my Dad was in the very first plane to drop on D-Day which was an Albemarle from RAF Harwell. 295 Squadron  1740  8 ZA  Flew by Sq Ldr Merrick. 

His full story is here and so is my bike ride in his memory .  I set off from the end of the Runway at RAF Harwell. 

One of the Valom Models has his planes numbers on it !!

Rich. 

10 hours ago, Rapid Rich said:

I cant see the photos for some reason.  But my Dad was in the very first plane to drop on D-Day which was an Albemarle from RAF Harwell. 295 Squadron  1740  8 ZA  Flew by Sq Ldr Merrick. 

His full story is here and so is my bike ride in his memory .  I set off from the end of the Runway at RAF Harwell. 

One of the Valom Models has his planes numbers on it !!

Rich. 

The reason is that Tonyot is baned and connot see anithing of his work.

Alain

Why Tonyot can be banned? He is one of the most active and perfect modeller, what could happen? I noticed his absence, but was afraid on possible health problem or similar...

Anyway, still you may see all of it (or most at least) if you just google in graphics  the "Tonyot, Britmodeller, {the model name}" - but they will be visible as not full size photos, anyway something you will see... This is an example that nothing vanishes from net if it was there. :)

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2022 at 7:07 PM, MACALAIN said:

The reason is that Tonyot is baned and connot see anithing of his work.

Alain

And there was I worried in case he was ill! What is going On? Why banned?

• Sad 1

On 9/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, woody37 said:

Tony is OK, I keep in touch with him. He has his ongoing health issues, but still pumping out great models. He has his own group on Facebook if anyone is on there where he shares his builds now and a lot of his old ones too.

Thank you very much for posting this link, like many here I respect Tony and enjoy his models. I have now 'Followed' his FB page.

• Like 1