1/72nd Valom Albemarle ST.Mk.V, 297 Sqn, RAF Brize Norton 1944

Hiya Folks,

Here is my latest model .... the Valom 1/72nd Albemarle,..... a failed bomber which found a niche as a Whitley replacement with the Airborne Forces as an operational type for dropping paratroopers, including the first men to land on D-Day and also as a glider tug, towing Horsa and Waco gliders.  Made predominantly of wood over a metal frame, the type was renowned amongst the men who jumped from it for its special style of exit,..... due to the limited headroom a stick of paratroopers would have to `bunny hop' along the fuselage until they reached the rectangular exit hole in the floor! 

The aircraft I chose to replicate was V1823, P5-S od 297 Sqn based at RAF Brize Norton, which towed a Horsa Glider to Normandy during Op Tonga in the early hours o 6th June 1944 on D-Day and it returned that evening during Op Mallard with another Horsa. It was later transferred to 22 HGCU (Heavy Glider Conversion Unit) but was written off in a crash while towing a Horsa during December 1944.  Here is the real aeroplane;

aw41-albemarle-1.jpg

images-1.jpg

imageproxy.jpg

And the Albemarle towing a Horsa;

PBarfoot-W1623-2.jpg

Here is the WIP;

And here is the model;

DSCF6937-NEW.jpg

DSCF6938-NEW.jpg

DSCF6939-NEW.jpg

DSCF6940-NEW.jpg

DSCF6931-NEW.jpg

DSCF6925-NEW.jpg

DSCF6928-NEW.jpg

DSCF6924-NEW.jpg

DSCF6929-NEW.jpg

DSCF6922-NEW.jpg

DSCF6934-NEW.jpg

DSCF6935-NEW.jpg

DSCF6923-NEW.jpg

So thats it,..... quite a challenging build,..... but a nice addition to my Airborne Forces collection and light years ahead of the old vacuformed model that it has replaced,

Cheers

Tony

PS,.... Here is a comparison between the Albemarle and the Mitchell as the former is often described as a British B-25;

DSCF6941-NEW.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Looks really good, I'm a gluten for anything a bit unusual and you don't see many Albermarles!  All credit to Valom for providing us with decent kits of more unusual subjects.

Love the D day stripes and subtle weathering, tempted to keep a look out for one at Telford!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

Looks really good, I'm a gluten for anything a bit unusual and you don't see many Albermarles!  All credit to Valom for providing us with decent kits of more unusual subjects.

Love the D day stripes and subtle weathering, tempted to keep a look out for one at Telford!

Cheers mate,..... yeah I sought out another on line while building this one and they are getting quite rare/expensive now,...... just check out the WIP and see if you want to pay a lot for the kit.

All the best

Tony

The Albemarle may have failed as a bomber, but I have to admit, it's a handsome looking aeroplane. 

Your model certainly is a fine tribute to a much maligned aircraft. 

As ever, your building and finishing is exemplary, however at first, I thought that there was something wrong with the shade of green that you used. Upon closer inspection, I realised it was the reflection of my green with envy face on my mobile. 

Yet another stunning model. 

Well done Tony. 

• Haha 1

Very nice rendition Tony. I had one of these for a while but kept putting off building it and sold it because it looked way out of my skill set to complete so well done.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cngaero said:

The Albemarle may have failed as a bomber, but I have to admit, it's a handsome looking aeroplane. 

Your model certainly is a fine tribute to a much maligned aircraft. 

As ever, your building and finishing is exemplary, however at first, I thought that there was something wrong with the shade of green that you used. Upon closer inspection, I realised it was the reflection of my green with envy face on my mobile. 

Yet another stunning model. 

Well done Tony. 

Cheers Chris,...... agreed it is a nice looking aircraft,...... somebody described it as being the love child of  a Mitchell and Blenheim and they are not far wrong there! I might actually photograph it together with a Mitchell tomorrow,.... it is much bigger. 

Green with envy,.....LOL,.... give over,..... I`ve seen your stuff too!

All the best,

Tony 

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Pony :)

Martin

Cheers Martin.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JWM said:

Excellent result of this really difficult to construct kit!

Cheers

J-W

Thanks J-W,..... yeah not easy for sure,..... but better than nothing and a quantum leap from the vacuformed kit that I had built before. We are spoilt that people like Valom will consider the Albemarle,.....let alone the Harrow and Bombay,.....and I`m really looking forward to next yearsValletta!!!

Cheers mate

Tony

4 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Beautiful!!  

Cheers,

3 hours ago, Aeronut said:

I see that you had to resort to the clear tail prop a I did, only mine was closer to the mainwheels.

Yeah,.... despite a ton of weight,.... clear prop it was!! 

3 hours ago, Baldy said:

Very nice rendition Tony. I had one of these for a while but kept putting off building it and sold it because it looked way out of my skill set to complete so well done.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm,..... thats a shame as I`m sure you would have managed very well,......  best thing is to just dive in sometimes, especially if the subject matter is of interest! The number of kits that I`ve started that I have doubted that I could ever finish,..... but I`m a stubborn bugger!! 

Cheers,

Tony

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Beautiful job Tony

Thats a lot of framing but it's turned out exceptionally.

Ill treat myself to your WIP now so I can learn all your tricks of the trade !

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat,..... yeah the framing,...... phew,..... lots of tidying up with a cocktail stick,.... that all I`ll say!! Tricks of the trade?.....I doubt you`ll find much new in there,...... but I hope you enjoy the WIP anyway. 

All the best mate

Tony

Just now, binbrook87 said:

Really great end result of an uncommon type. Thumbs up! 👍👍

Thanks mate,...... yeah I like my offbeat stuff!! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tonyot said:

We are spoilt that people like Valom will consider the Albemarle,.....let alone the Harrow and Bombay,.....and I`m really looking forward to next yearsValletta!!!

Cheers mate

Tony

I am still hoping for Vickers Valentia by Valom one day!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JWM said:

I am still hoping for Vickers Valentia by Valom one day!

Cheers

J-W

That would be lovely,...... even with all of that rigging!!!

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Another stunner, Tony. Superbly finished.

Thanks Vinnie.

54 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Smashing job!

Martian 👽

Cheers Martian ,..... not as nice as your SM.79 mind you,...that is gorgeous!! !! 

Edited by tonyot

36 minutes ago, zebra said:

Very nice indeed Tony. I’ll bookmark your WIP for the far-off day when I get round to mine, and when I do I might just skip the weight since it seems it’s unlikely to do any good anyway!

Cheers mate,...... yeah don`t bother with the weight,....... the main wheel wells cannot really cope with much more,..... they caved in on me and fell into the wings. I would suggest drilling the u/c holes out before you fit the wheel well roof and to maybe add some scrap plastic above  to wedge it into the bottom of the top wing section and therefore fixed into place. 

All the best

Tony

• Like 3