RAF Phantom intake colours

alhenderson

Fairly sure this is an easy one.  I've searched the site, but got so many hits was impossible to tell if this has been asked (it must have been!).  I'm building the Fujimi FG.1 as a 43 sqn camo machine from the late 70s and wondering what colour the insides of the intakes were.  The kit says white, but that's for an FAA machine.  Can't really tell from any pictures I've seen, and the walkaround on this site has a grey machine.  If the latter is white and the FAA ones were also white I guess there's a good case for assuming that the camo ones were as well?

Also interested in the auxiliary engine doors on the fuselage (think that's what they are).  Have seen them done in red, but I have a picture of a camo machine with these open and they don't look red - just 'dark'.  Could be the picture of course...

Any thoughts, oh wise ones? 🙂

Al.

Thanks all - much appreciated! 👍  Once upon a time I wouldn't have cared what colour it was, its only since I've started reading this site that such things have taken on more importance!! 😀

Al.

The dark green and dark sea grey Phantoms had the camo colour inside the intakes as far back as the wing leading edge, with the rest of it in ( Grubby ) white. I know this, as I worked on Phantoms at Bruggen in Germany from 1971 - 74. :cheers:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

The dark green and dark sea grey Phantoms had the camo colour inside the intakes as far back as the wing leading edge, with the rest of it in ( Grubby ) white. I know this, as I worked on Phantoms at Bruggen in Germany from 1971 - 74. :cheers:

Thanks for that - always good to get first hand information!

Al.

18 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Our museum example, XV401 is still in it's faded Air Defence grey scheme from 74 squadron. The white extends to the intake lip on that. It might get repainted next year.

What colour are the air brake inners - the reason I ask is that I noticed the one at Duxford obviously had the red paint over sprayed, presumably in LAG, and are now pink.

On Dk. Green / Dk. Grey Phantoms the doors had red inners with the bay being white. The aux. doors ( upper and lower ) were red inside. Also, if you're doing a green / grey Phantom the inner wing pylons were white with a silver leading edge. The wing tank pylons were also white. :cheers:

Edited by Starfighter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Starfighter said:

On Dk. Green / Dk. Grey Phantoms the doors had red inners with the bay being white. The aux. doors ( upper and lower ) were red inside. Also, if you're doing a green / grey Phantom the inner wing pylons were white with a silver leading edge. The wing tank pylons were also white. :cheers:

Thanks for the info on the pylons, I'd probably have missed that detail otherwise!

• Like 1

No problem . . . always glad to help if I can. Also, the Sparrow AAM launchers in the bottom of the fuselage were also white, although as the Phantom got pretty grubby underneath in service you probably wouldn't notice ! :cheers:

Just now, Starfighter said:

No problem . . . always glad to help if I can. Also, the Sparrow AAM launchers in the bottom of the fuselage were also white, although as the Phantom got pretty grubby underneath in service you probably wouldn't notice ! :cheers:

So the recesses where the sparrows went were white? 

The recesses were light grey, but the actual launchers were white, but if you have Sparrows fitted you wouldn't see them anyway. Just thought I'd mention it in case you leave the missiles off. Mind you, they got quite grubby as well, so maybe not worth bothering with . . . I'll get me coat !   😄

Spoiler

😂

PS : Ignore the spoiler thingy . . . Finger trouble !

Edited by Starfighter
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/25/2019 at 12:29 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Our museum example, XV401 is still in it's faded Air Defence grey scheme from 74 squadron. The white extends to the intake lip on that. It might get repainted next year.

A bit of thread hijack, but I'm busy getting ready to start the 1/72 Airfix FGR.2 in the 3-tone grey, and wondered about the interior of the intake outer surfaces (as opposed to the intake ramps). Would the white go right to the front edge of the inner lip of the intake outers? If you know what I mean - I think that make some sort of sense. :)  :whistle:

Or does the camouflage grey extend into the inside of the intakes a bit?

Thanks

Simon

On 10/24/2019 at 12:46 PM, alhenderson said:

Fairly sure this is an easy one.  I've searched the site, but got so many hits was impossible to tell if this has been asked (it must have been!).  I'm building the Fujimi FG.1 as a 43 sqn camo machine from the late 70s and wondering what colour the insides of the intakes were.  The kit says white, but that's for an FAA machine.  Can't really tell from any pictures I've seen, and the walkaround on this site has a grey machine.  If the latter is white and the FAA ones were also white I guess there's a good case for assuming that the camo ones were as well?

Also interested in the auxiliary engine doors on the fuselage (think that's what they are).  Have seen them done in red, but I have a picture of a camo machine with these open and they don't look red - just 'dark'.  Could be the picture of course...

Any thoughts, oh wise ones? 🙂

Al.

I've post these in some other thread some time ago along with other phantom stuff, perhaps someone can point you in the general direction? Anyway, here is some info that may be of interest. 

cT6lZ6.jpg

cT6S5p.jpg

cT6FoX.jpg

cT6aAb.jpg

cT6jzf.jpg

cT6usG.jpg

cT6AQz.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4