Yep, another Sabre...1/72 RF-86F 'Wood Pecker' (JASDF)

Hi All,

With my F-86F-30 fighter-bomber now at home and heading for the spray booth, it's time to ready-up my next Sabre build. So, by popular request, I'm doing an RF-86F Recon Sabre of the Japanese Air Self-Defense Force using the 1/72 Fujimi kit, my first Sabre from this manufacturer.

Usual intro:

20191024-120525-1.jpg

Pretty box.

20191024-120649-1.jpg

Wing sprue.

20191024-120715-1.jpg

Starboard fuselage+ sprue.

20191024-120734-1.jpg

Port fuselage+ sprue.

20191024-120910-1.jpg

Side blisters and 'blank' gun-port panels.

20191024-121016-1.jpg

Underside camera fairings.

20191024-122239-1.jpg

Cockpit glazing.

20191024-121108-1.jpg

Decal sheet.

And obviously an instruction sheet. This will run alongside my Caudron build at my 'works' work bench and will be built OOB, unless somebody knows something I don't with this kit.

Laters...

Stuart

• Like 4

Nice one, Stuart. My main gripe with the Fujimis (and I think they are THE best in 1/72) is the less than snug fit of the lower wing section with the fuselage. Be prepared for a fair bit of sanding. Get it "comfortable" and dont force it as you will lose the dihedral, as I did in the early days ;). If you can get one, go for a resin cockpit. It really adds to the detail.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

less than snug fit of the lower wing section with the fuselage.

Thanks for the tip Martin. As for the resin cockpit, with the number of planned Sabres I'm wanting to do, I'll think I'll stick with the kit option.

Spent the lunchtime cutting parts off the sprues.

Stuart

I was impressed by the cockpit glasing. First time i've seen that in 1/72 scale. Don't knew any other with those lines on the canopy...

Following with interest!

Sheers / André

Edited by Andre B

19 minutes ago, Andre B said:

I was impressed by the cockpit glasing. First time i've seen that in 1/72 scale. Don't knew any other with those lines on the canopy...

Your welcome to follow André.  The 1/72 Academy kits also has type of canopy but I've managed not to use them in previous builds as I didn't know what those lines were, maybe @Sabrejet can tell us?

Stuart

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

IIRC, they are the ADF sense aerials imbedded in the canopy

12 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Yes - radio compass sense antenna

Cheers guys. As a matter of interest, when were these fitted into the canopy...and please don't say 'from the beginning'?

Stuart

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Your welcome to follow André.  The 1/72 Academy kits also has type of canopy but I've managed not to use them in previous builds as I didn't know what those lines were, maybe @Sabrejet can tell us?

Stuart

Hi,

Some pictures on the real thing (#11) in this thread about the ADF sense aerials thanks to Sabrejet...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice one, Stuart. My main gripe with the Fujimis (and I think they are the best in 1/72) is the less than snug fi of the lower wing section with e fuselage. Be prepared for a fair bit of sanding. Get it "comfortable" and dont force it as your will lose the dihedral, as I did in the early days ;). If you can get one, go for a resin cockpit. It really adds to the detail.

Martin

I think I can be without the Pavla Resin cockpit. But the bangseat is really adds! :)

Cheers / André

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Courageous said:

and please don't say 'from the beginning'?

OK, how about "While the plexiglass was still hot in the mold?" (You mess with the bull- you get the horns!)

Mike

I found a link to this website while looking for the answer to your ADF aerial question- doesn't have the answer, but it does have a ton of useful details and diagrams I think would be very useful for detailing an F-86F model. Granted, it's from a flight simulation, but loks to be pretty accurate as to the appearance of the real thing.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/306240/manuals/DCS_F-86F_Flight_Manual_EN.pdf

Looking at many photos that showed the canopy, I saw that the ADF sense aerials were visible in A,E, and F canopies, if that helps.

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Andre B said:

Some pictures on the real thing (#11) in this thread about the ADF sense aerials thanks to Sabrejet...

Yep, following your thread but you're building D/K/L, handy stuff none the less.

But the bangseat is really adds!

I'd need a lot of bang seats and the cost that will entail.

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I saw that the ADF sense aerials were visible in A,E, and F canopies, if that helps.

It does help and shows that I should've have been using the aerial canopies from the start. Nobody has noticed the lack of them in my earlier builds, so I'll use the kit canopies with or without aerials.

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I think I can be without the Pavla Resin cockpit. But the bangseat is really adds! :)

Cheers / André

Agreed

Sshh Martin, stop trying to spend my money.

Thanks Guys

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Yep, following your thread but you're building D/K/L, handy stuff none the less.

I'd need a lot of bang seats and the cost that will entail.

It does help and shows that I should've have been using the aerial canopies from the start. Nobody has noticed the lack of them in my earlier builds, so I'll use the kit canopies with or without aerials.

Sshh Martin, stop trying to spend my money.

Thanks Guys

Stuart

Well...

There are actually also three F's in that build. One Heller, one HobbyBoss and one HobbyCraft. But they are all wery camerashy and I think the only parts seen yet is some cockpit parts from the Heller kit and the HobbyCraft bangseat... ;)

Cheers / André

• Like 2

Sorry for the slowness, been one of those weeks...

20191028-124545.jpg

As usual, the cockpit is the first place to be tackled. The parts are not that different from the Academy/ Hobbycraft kits.

20191101-125951.jpg

Parts cleaned and primed. I have fitted the seat to its ejection rail but I'm not sure whether I like the seat or not. I might see what a resin option looks like (should please @Terry1954 and @RidgeRunner) The new kid on the block is the turbine that I will of course paint but won't see any of it down the intake...well maybe, if you had a torch.

20191101-125838.jpg

Intake halves joined together and primed, also added the rear wall. Some nice detail on the side consoles but I have a dilemma on my hands in that the kit supplies decals for the consoles and i/p. So, do I sand flat the detail or leave the detail and apply the decal?:shrug: Also of note are two lines of sink marks, not an easy place to fill and sand.

20191101-130105.jpg

A little further ahead, the fuselage halves. The instructions call for the slot to be added to the sides and holes added in each fuselage bottom half to facilitate the fitting of the side blisters and camera fairings.

No work on the 'RF' for a week or so 'cos it's at work...and I'm not.

Stuart 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

ooooh, another Sabre. Resin options please me much.............!

Terry

Me too, Terry. I understand the price issue, though. The interior set for the Sabre is a bit pricey, if you can find one. I'd certainly splash out on a seat, though, as I did eith my recent Sabre. 

Good progress, Stuart! 

Martin

• Like 1

That's coming on nicely, we don't often see JASDF Sabres. Regarding the floor sink marks, are you actually going to attempt to remove them?  I would imagine there won't be much to see once fully assembled especially if it is painted black. 

Which marking option will you be using?

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:
9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

ooooh, another Sabre. Resin options please me much.............!

Terry

Me too, Terry. I understand the price issue, though. The interior set for the Sabre is a bit pricey, if you can find one. I'd certainly splash out on a seat, though, as I did eith my recent Sabre. 

Good progress, Stuart! 

Thanks to you both. I may give a resin seat a try but the resin cockpit is a no-no, not when I have so many to do.

1 hour ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

That's coming on nicely, we don't often see JASDF Sabres.

Cheers Jeff. You are right, I don't think I've seen a build JASDF Sabre built here or on a table, let alone a Recon Sabre. As for the sink mark in the floor, it just bugs me. If it were an earlier black cockpit you could get away with it but a grey cockpit with the canopy open is asking for trouble, so I might try something. Haven't thought about end markings, it will be one of the OOB offerings.

Stuart

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi folks. Can't remember why this build stopped but after reeling from a club group build that I didn't enjoy one bit, thought I'd head back to familiar territory.

20220422-221928.jpg

With a suitable amount of weight fitted in the nose, the fuselage halves were joined and the joints were tidied-up using 'gloop', a first for me.

20220422-230152.jpg

The gun panels were replaced with blanking panels. Camera bays were fitted, as was the nose.

Nice to be back

Stuart

• Like 2