Air Koryo Tupolev Tu-204-100 in 1/144

For cheatline lovers everywhere and to complete my trio of recent builds I present the Zvezda Tu-204-100 in the old-fashioned, no-nonsense livery previously carried by Air Koryo’s P-633. The real P-633 was built in 2009 for Red Wings but the order was cancelled and after a spell as an engine test bed she joined Air Koryo in 2010. Sadly the cheatline has now gone. In the summer of 2018 Air Koryo repainted their two Tu-204s (P-633 and her -300 comrade P-632) in a boring and ugly “new” livery with a plain red line below the windows and a wavy flag on the tail.

This model was on my “waiting to start” list for a while but seeing the superb Cubana Tu-204 by @Malair earlier in the year inspired me to bump it up the queue.

Apart from a few small detail additions the build is OOB. The kit is generally up to the standards we’ve come to expect from Zvezda although the nose wheel assembly is a pain and despite the right engine being a perfect fit to the wing attaching the left one was a struggle involving superglue, Milliput, Mr Surfacer, extensive touching up and an end result which does not invite close inspection. I don’t know if the fault was mine or the kit’s but it was weird and caught me out at a late stage of the build.

Paint is Halfords Appliance White and Racking Grey with Tamiya metallics. The coroguard on the upper wings and tailplanes, which appears to be unique to the Air Koryo aircraft, is a mix of Tamiya XF16 and XF56, roughly 3:2 but not very precisely. The pattern is “assumed” rather than definitive since I couldn’t find a good overhead view.

Decals are by 8A Decs. They are designed for this kit and fitted well. They also include “photo real” windows, perhaps not quite Authentic Airliners standards but effective and welcome nonetheless. Detail decals came from the very decent kit sheet and the spares box.

The Zvezda Tu-204 is a fine kit and captures the character of the real aircraft. However it has one serious drawback - the similarity in size and appearance makes it a tantalising glimpse of what a Zvezda Boeing 757 would be like. I suppose we can still dream…..

Thanks for looking and as always constructive criticism is welcome.

Dave G

48952013856_2d3a9fe6d8_b.jpg

48951470803_3aa3f055f1_b.jpg

48952211562_c029a7894e_b.jpg

48951470458_9693705f17_b.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Hi Dave,

Just gorgeous as usual!

I wasn't aware Air Koryo had changed their livery but yes I agree with you the new one is boring. They must have been one of the last airlines with a cheatline.

Interesting small detail decals on the wings, are they warning 'no step' markings or something else?

I think I might keep an eye out for one of these kits at Telford.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Dave! Most assuredly a fine build. Really like this one. I have not been inspired much by the Russian airliners, but you’re beginning to convince me sea re treasures. Bang up job on the paint...always fascinated with your use of the appliance white...I would think it too harsh for the plastic, but obviously its not. Great finish. And I really like the livery...fits the airplane so nicely. She looks like a 757 close cousin. Nice work! :clap:

• Like 1

Hi Dave, another fine build from you. Would really like to see more airliners in modelling forum: with all these new wonderful kits from Zvezda and Eastern Express seems the market is there, do they always end in the loft without being built? 🤔

• Like 1

Thanks for comments everyone.

13 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Interesting small detail decals on the wings, are they warning 'no step' markings or something else?

I think I might keep an eye out for one of these kits at Telford.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian. There are small red "X"s on the actual moving surfaces, 13 on each wing (yes, I counted them!) and they are from the Zvezda sheet. There is also lettering, presumably "No Step" or the Korean equivalent, between the moving bits and the wing centre section. Zvezda do give you red lettering but that was wrong for the Air Koryo aircraft and I felt it was too big so I sourced 24 tiny "No Step" makings from my spares box. It's definitely a nice kit but after-market decals are a bit thin on the ground. PAS do a decent "photo real" windscreen.

10 hours ago, stringbag said:

That's the first Zevezda Tu-204 I've seen and must say it looks rather good Dave. 

To be fair, those window decals look pretty good from down here in Wales.  :lol:

Chris.

Thanks Chris. Check out Malair's gorgeous Cubana Tu-204 which was posted about six months ago and inspired me to start mine.

9 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

..... Bang up job on the paint...always fascinated with your use of the appliance white...I would think it too harsh for the plastic, but obviously its not. 

Thanks Challenger350Pilot. Appliance White can be sprayed directly on to bare plastic without any ill effects although like most modellers I always use primer. It's wonderful stuff, much cheaper than something like Tamiya TS-7, and I think most UK airliner builders use it nowadays.

2 hours ago, Whirly said:

Hi Dave, another fine build from you. Would really like to see more airliners in modelling forum: with all these new wonderful kits from Zvezda and Eastern Express seems the market is there, do they always end in the loft without being built? 🤔

Thanks Whirly. We've actually had a good run of airliners in RFI recently and I hope it continues.

Dave G

That's another fantastic finish ,

Your spot on Dave , how good would a 757 be from them as this has a striking similarity, looks more like a 75 than the minicraft one !!

😏

Oh and thanks to you I now have in my sticky mitts some of the fantastic authentic airlines window sheets - now where did I put that A319 ???

• Like 1

That looks amazing Dave. It looks like their knock off of an A321, although being an Airbus fan I have to say I much prefer Airbus’ entry. Your attention to detail is inspiring.

Not a fan of Russian Aircraft, but your model is stunning and gives it justice.

Look forward to your next Airliner build 😃.

Alistair

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Thanks Chris. Check out Malair's gorgeous Cubana Tu-204 which was posted about six months ago and inspired me to start mine.

Dave G

Thanks for the heads-up Dave.  Just been over to have a look.

Another item for the Telford shopping list.

Chris.

• Like 1

Perfect! It's got a red cheatline, what more could you want,

Beautifully done yet again Dave, I've seen this kit in my LHS but declined to buy as I didn't know of any decent schemes for it. Next time in in, I think I'll be buying it. 🙂

Cheers

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viking said:

. Next time in in, I think I'll be buying it. 🙂

Cheers

John

I seem to recall a conversation we had on Thursday whereby you informed me that you weren't going to buy any more kits.  🤣

Chris.

• Haha 1

very nice model - a great choice of a build there. I still chuckle every time I see a Russian rip off of something the west designed first (the A321 springs to mind here - somehow the Russians just don't ever get it to look quite so pretty though

• Like 1

Wow Dave, what a fantastic result! I was tempted to also make an Air Koryo version but in the end decided to make the Cubana one (I still have the RusAir kit, so who knows one day...)

How did you do the metal lines on the middels of the engines? I did mine with decals, so I'm curious to your method.

p.s. I had the same issues with the engines. Superglue to the rescue!

• Like 1

Thanks Martijn.  I used silver decal stripe on the engines, same as you.. I can't really think of another way of doing it. Thanks for reassuring me that the problem with the engine wasn't due to my own incompetence!

Dave G