RAF Hawk 75 A-4 Mohawk colours

Doccur

Hi all,

slightly contentious  issue but can someone tell me please;

RAF Hawks that were transferred to the Far East, were they painted in Curtiss factory colours (á la AVG P-40s) or were repainted in standard RAF day fighter colours? 

Thanks in advance 

Ash

R. C. Jones' booklet RAF Tomahawk, Airacobra & Mohawk (Ducimus) from Camouflage & markings series indicates both had happened. Aircraft, ordered by French but not yet delivered, had been taken over and delivered directly to UK already in Curtiss equivalents of RAF colours. The booklet includes a photo of Mohawk IV AR645, used for trials at AAEE, already in Dark Green, Ocean Gray and Sea Gray Medium scheme and with C type roundels. This aircraft had been shipped to SEAC in late 1942. Photos of AR645 and some other RAF Mohawks can be seen in the following thread:

Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 2

I agree, other than not being sure that the underside is MSG, but possibly the pale RAE Sky Blue.   I think that MSG would appear darker.

From memory didn't they first go to Kenya?  (Must reread Beauchamp.)  This would suggest an early scheme of DG/DE/Sky.  Or of course another of a range of possible underside colours.

Edited by Graham Boak

47 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I agree, other than not being sure that the underside is MSG, but possibly the pale RAE Sky Blue.   I think that MSG would appear darker.

At about 1:00 and again 1:15 it does look quite dark and MSG-ish - and MSG always seems to capture lighter on the colour film that it appears in real life (even modern versons)

7 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

At about 1:00 and again 1:15 it does look quite dark and MSG-ish - and MSG always seems to capture lighter on the colour film that it appears in real life (even modern versons)

Could this be Azure Blue, and just look a bit washed out in the film?   That would look fairly dark.

screen grab

48952903051_a9ca011ea6_o.pngMohawk colour screen grab by losethekibble, on Flickr

Hurricane shot on WW2 colour film, with Azure blue undersides? 

45791221395_c9fd1c421f_o.pngHurrican HW189 B front by losethekibble, on Flickr

Just a suggestion.  

the Ducimus guide mentioned above is available here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/12-Tomahawk-Airacobra

• Like 1

Maybe MSG around the chin but not on the wheel doors/fairing, and the port wing does appear to be a different colour to these.  

The Ducimus guide is of no use when referring to overseas operations, and precious little for delivery colours.

The Hurricane's starboard inner wing is very odd, it is tempting to suggest remnants of the leading edge mottle but that was long gone before the Mk.IIc.

Thanks Graham,

I’ve already slapped on DuPont sky on the lower surfaces, so I will be using standard Dark Earth and Dark green then 👍🏻

cheers

Ash

10 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Why am I seeing yellow lower wingtips, and leading edge stripes which look to start further outboard than I would expect on any type?

They were special recognition markings, as the Mohawk might look uncomfortably similar to an Oscar (Ki.43).

• Like 1

Re the color still Troy posted:

There's a broad yellow stripe on the lower cowling side as well.

And the undersides appear as if in azure blue, might just not been perfectly painted over everywhere onto the previous color there

On 24/10/2019 at 16:02, Graham Boak said:

The Hurricane's starboard inner wing is very odd, it is tempting to suggest remnants of the leading edge mottle but that was long gone before the Mk.IIc.

it's just chipped paint.  The plane in the photo, HW189,  is very grubby and tatty

more pics here

Very interesting post and replies ,i like the P36 Hawk /Mohawk ,prefer it to the P40 .I wish there were more kits out there .

Only managed to get together 5 1/48 kits 😀😀Planning to do two BMF ,a Finnish ,a RAF Mohawk ,the last one might be a Olive Drab USAAC ,of a French one .

• Like 1

Here is my interpretation of a Far East Mohawk.  It is finished in Dark Earth/Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey, as per the info found in Gerry Beauchamp's books Mohawks Over Burma and Curtis Hawk 75.

EfACytHh.jpg

6CEfBMkh.jpg

Cheers

Randy

• Like 9