GWH Vulcan B1a - I've Finally Lost It --- FINISHED

Wow... It's taken me a while... My love for the Avro Vulcan, and in particular the Vulcan B1a has driven me crazy. 

I finally got my hands on a set of plans for the Vulcan B1 in the right scale and a GWH Vulcan kit. I can finally build my favourite aircraft of all time, the Avro Vulcan B1a.

With that, let the madness begin:

b06844225c2c990f61b2429405e9c886.jpg

d005b7f02c5e803d4f63ed1b0c7f2f9a.jpg

I think I've done it right... It looks right to me... Apart from the wingtip

@robvulcan this is entirely your fault 😂

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I’m glad to see I’ve inspired you but man you have a LOT of pain ahead of you and time. 
I spent 3 years and more on mine Over the past since 2013 still not done. But will be resumed soon just been so busy with work music etc. 
I will remould the B1 soon and the B1 version 2 the B1a I’m going to try and make a cone to slip over the B1. 
however it takes time and nothing is as fun as scratching so take your time and enjoy. 
just make sure you got plenty of tea or coffee. 
and lots of sanding sticks and Mr Surfacer 500.

GOOD LUCK ! 
Rob :) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, robvulcan said:

I’m glad to see I’ve inspired you but man you have a LOT of pain ahead of you and time. 
I spent 3 years and more on mine Over the past since 2013 still not done. But will be resumed soon just been so busy with work music etc. 
I will remould the B1 soon and the B1 version 2 the B1a I’m going to try and make a cone to slip over the B1. 
however it takes time and nothing is as fun as scratching so take your time and enjoy. 
just make sure you got plenty of tea or coffee. 
and lots of sanding sticks and Mr Surfacer 500.

GOOD LUCK ! 
Rob :) 

You are 100% of my inspiration to do this conversion, I hope you don't mind answering a few questions that I will inevitably have throughout the build. 

When you get around to remoulding the and possibly selling vulcan, can I pre order one? 

That last music piece you linked, although I can't remember where, was amazing I'd love to hear more if you wouldn't mind linking any :)

I'll definitely need a lot of coffee for this build, well I'll need to feed the caffeine addiction anyway, but I think this also calls for a fair bit of cider once I get to the really difficult bits.

c848d20aca19a7f8984e957683fdfee3.jpg

This is the kit that it's being based on. 

7ba4453edf404d32d2c0012913b554a6.jpg

The other wing has been marked up for cutting. 

7c402ac52e57bafd007f241c5cfcb5e8.jpg

I had previously been marking the kit up for conversion to a B1 with straight wings, without much success because I just couldn't get it right.

9139e1ab11bbd3721d1a921515988604.jpg

The equipment in the tail needs removing, I started with an XACTO and clippers. 

8abdce8c22b859f708fc07a3b7741565.jpg

A file did most of the work and sandpaper was used to smooth it out.

ca50e0269dd208599042b9b04efdce86.jpg

And done, I believe this is all the modification that I need to do to the tail on a B1a as it is the same as the B2, although the tailcone might be slightly different. I'm not sure.

dacdc345abb8331f37990eb0b6f13136.jpg

The intakes on the GWH kit are a lot too thin for the B2, and I think are quite close to the B1's, but not perfect. I think I'm going to leave them as is to avoid a lot of the trouble that comes with narrowing them. The kit is mostly snap-fit so it's easy to get an idea of what things will look like when properly assembled. This looks like it's going to need some filler....

117a7c5c0b73a01d89191bbb132a2f2f.jpg

• Like 6

All the photos I have seen of camouflaged Vulcans and Victors show one roundel only until the low viz roundels came along when both wings had roundels. Of course by then the B.1 was long gone. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Timmas said:

This looks very interesting. I have a thing about the Vulcan too. 🤩 Mind if I tag along?

Well if you can put up with my ramblings about Vulcans feel free 😂

14 minutes ago, Mr T said:

All the photos I have seen of camouflaged Vulcans and Victors show one roundel only until the low viz roundels came along when both wings had roundels. Of course by then the B.1 was long gone. 

Thanks, I didn't know when the low Viz ones were introduced. Might help if one had survived or I was around to see them, unfortunately I was about 17 years late to see one even on the ground...

Now I'm torn between a camouflaged aircraft, I'm thinking XH480, or an antiflash one, maybe XA909. There's even the outside possibility of the only silver B1a...

If I do white or silver I've got to get a set of serials for under the wings, which I don't even know where to get. I'll figure it all out as I progress through this build though.

• Like 1

For the benefit of the "Vulcan-naive", am I understanding that there was the Mk.1, with straight leading edge (triangle), a 1a with "somewhat kinked" leading edge, and a 2 (or "what became standard Vulcan") with a MORE kinked leading edge?  I didn't know about that "slightly kinky" version.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

For the benefit of the "Vulcan-naive", am I understanding that there was the Mk.1, with straight leading edge (triangle), a 1a with "somewhat kinked" leading edge, and a 2 (or "what became standard Vulcan") with a MORE kinked leading edge?  I didn't know about that "slightly kinky" version.

Almost. 

The Avro 698 was the prototypes, two were built, these had straight wings.

The Vulcan B1 was the first production variant, the first 5 had straight wings, the rest had kinked wings. All but one of the five were refitted with kinked wings. 45 were built in total.

The Vulcan B1a was an upgraded B1 brought to a B2 standard with the ECM gear. 28 were converted from B1s

The B2 is a developed version. It has a much larger wing with a different kink. They all had more powerful engines, which required larger intakes. The first few B2s had the smaller intakes and smaller tailcone of the B1 as they began production intended to be B1s. At least 63 were built, it is thought that some additional airframes may have been built as static fatigue test aircraft and destroyed. 

26 further B2s were built to carry Blue steel. 

(Removed inaccurate information)

Edited by Adam Poultney

14 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

At least 63 were built, it is thought that some additional airframes may have been built as static fatigue test aircraft and destroyed. 

Of the B. 2s XM596 was taken from the production line when substantially complete and used for fatigue testing.  Other airframes or part-airframes may also have been constructed for such testing but I have never seen reference to them and no serial numbers were allocated.

To reiterate what Adam said it was the ECM fit that was the main differentiation between the B. 1 and B. 1a, not the build standard of the wings.  Avro had encountered flutter in the high speed end of the flight envelope which had taken some time to determine the cause of and a remedy for: thenew leading edges were initially flown on the second prototype VX777.  By that time they had got into full production of the B. 1 and the first five aeroplanes had been built with the original straight leading edge

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Thanks- I hadn't realized that the original wing design was THAT short-lived.

Yeah they hardly existed at all.

I think one wasn't ever refitted and was used for testing but I'm not sure. I think that was XA892.

"26 B2As were built, which is a B2 which could carry Blue Steel, and other unusual loads. All of these were built with Olympus 201 engines. I believe all that survived to the end of blue steel's service were converted back to having a regular bomb bay."

Sorry to say it but I am not sure that this is correct. There seems to be a general consensus that the designation B2A did not exist officially. I am also reasonably sure that some Blue Steel aircraft were in the 301 engine range. Again I am not 100% sure without checking but I think XL426 was a BS aircraft and also XM572 amongst others. I think XL391 was the first 301 Vulcan. 

I will check my books tonight but no doubt there is someone with a better knowledge than me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cherry268 said:

"26 B2As were built, which is a B2 which could carry Blue Steel, and other unusual loads. All of these were built with Olympus 201 engines. I believe all that survived to the end of blue steel's service were converted back to having a regular bomb bay."

Sorry to say it but I am not sure that this is correct. There seems to be a general consensus that the designation B2A did not exist officially. I am also reasonably sure that some Blue Steel aircraft were in the 301 engine range. Again I am not 100% sure without checking but I think XL426 was a BS aircraft and also XM572 amongst others. I think XL391 was the first 301 Vulcan. 

I will check my books tonight but no doubt there is someone with a better knowledge than me.

You're likely right. I got that information from here:

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/vulcan/history.php

I did question the accuracy, but I was in the middle of an A Level physics lesson, so I couldn't check.

I have edited the comment

Edited by Adam Poultney

There is an discussion on pprune.org about it

Just search Vulcan B2A, makes fascinating reading especially the comments from and about an author who wrote books on the Vulcan. 

Just checked my copy of  'Bombing Colours 1937-1973' by Michael J F Bowyer. It has the camouflage pattern with a roundel on the port wing only and apparently is based on the manufacturers drawings. When I was doing my 'A' levels, the Vulcan B.2 was still in full squadron service and a relatively common sight for me as my Grandparents lived in Lincolnshire near Heckington and they used to around Nottingham where I lived. 

66437232c3ceb5a55ab50dcf78df24fa.jpg

And off came the first chunks of plastic, no going back now. I'm building a B1!

I don't think I got the wing shape quite perfect but it's close enough for me, especially my first attempt.

f36b7c110fb3817619490bb1f37d0c2e.jpg

The finished shape of the left wing. I'll need to sand down the leading and trailing edges yet of course. 

Maybe a few adjustments as well as that trailing edge isn't quite straight

ce0a208109c9509626e2d927ea67b174.jpg

Now I knew just how different the wings were, but wow it is a lot more obvious when you've got it in front of you.

• Like 2

287a2c47d0d783b24294167ef8c6e8e3.jpg

Removing the need for another of the major modifications to the kit, I've decided to build the model gear up. It comes with a stand and two pilot figures so I may as well model the aircraft as it was designed to be. A small slot has to be cut in the bomb bay doors, it's pre marked so it's easy to get right.

d08c0b93746655b0a12214940ec205db.jpg

Fits nicely on

9b0492d87caee61addcafefcd9141b4a.jpg

Next up, removing these things... None of them on the B1/B1a

• Like 4

This is a fine start and don't worry about having lost it. You haven't. You just left it at the door like the rest of us when you joined the wonderful asylum that is BM. You can pick it up again on the way out. Hang on; what's that? Sorry @Mike, says that nobody leaves! 

Martian (Comforter to the Galaxy since Stardate 13121961.0) 👽

PS: I never left it at the door when I joined as I was told that I had nothing left to leave! :mental: That's what Mike said anyway.

• Like 1

I'm making fast progress on this build, I'm mostly updating the thread as I do each thing.

38d90d96e00e00a08ae6a0fd16c842ec.jpg

The things under the wings have been removed on the left wing. I genuinely can't remember what they're called...

df94eccf281e66ea94b91893728fb88f.jpg

I've started cutting away at the next wing. The leading edge has been done, but not the trailing edge yet. I think this looks quite good with the trailing edge of a Vulcan B2 and the leading edge of a Vulcan B1 plus a bit extra. Would make an interesting what if variant.

Speaking of what if variants, I'd like to see a K1/a what if model....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

@Mike, says that nobody leaves! 

Again, not quite true Martian "half-the-story" Hale.  We allow the horrible ones to leave and even encourage them at times, as it makes this a better place ^_^

Keep on cutting Adam :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1