Good for a laugh! Spitfire Mk. XIV - Starfix 1/48

Just now, Graham Boak said:

Earlier Sword Spitfires were a little short on the wingspan, and AZ seem to have caught this from them.  I've no idea about the Mk.XIV but I'd check that detail.

OK, good to know! I'll do some research.

There aren't a lot of kits to choose from, though. :( I think, even if there is a shortage on the span, it sounds like the Sword kit is much better than the Academy kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tempestwulf said:

Sure you didn't build a dinky toy? It takes a special kind of madness to make a silk purse out of this sows behind. hahaha

No, no, I rolled it in glitter like stevehnz said!  :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

Sure you didn't build a dinky toy? It takes a special kind of madness to make a silk purse out of this sows behind. hahaha

Has to be said that Starfix must have used the same plans Dinky used for their old diecast model. Remember getting one aged 9, and even then being horrified by the shape of the thing.

Kudos for having a blast with the modellers Kryptonite that is a Starfix kit. You've managed an awesome result that looks, well, like something Spitfire shaped. Nice work! Actually, it could pass as one of those three quarter scale home build jobs that people fly. It looks just like one of those. 

Steve

• Thanks 1

That's an odd combination of Spitfire parts, isn't it? Revell's old Dave Deal cartoon Spitsfire is a more accurate representation! Even a Spitfire non-believer like myself can see the issues. You've done a bang-up job of it though, well done.

In defence of the 1/72th Fujimi Mk.XIV, it's not all bad. The cockpit is a bit fictional, and as Graham said, they tried to make too many versions from the same basic mould, but, like the highback spine insert issue, there's nothing that an application of some modelling effort can't overcome, except perhaps the current difficulty in getting hold of them. I've done a few of them and have a few more in the stash, and they don't scare me. One day I'll use some surplus Fujimi parts to 'modernise' my Ventura kit. That one does scare me...

• Thanks 1

Well, I have to admire your perseverence.  The paintwork does look very good, I must say.  This kit makes even the old Airfix MkIX look state-of-the-art.

Edited by Meatbox8
Spelling correction.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Three questions:

- despite everything; did you enjoy the build;

- did you use the experience to try out and/or perfect new (for you) modelling techniques; and

- for all it's shortcomings, does it look like (anything, like) the aircraft it's pretending to be? 

A "yes" to any of those questions validates taking the time to build the kit in the first place...

...discuss?!!

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 6:15 PM, Newbie(kinda) said:

- despite everything; did you enjoy the build;

Actually, yes!  I was able to try a lot of  new things without worrying about goofing up a good kit.  It's very liberating! :)

- did you use the experience to try out and/or perfect new (for you) modelling techniques; and

Absolutely! About 2/3 of the techniques I tried, I still use.

- for all it's shortcomings, does it look like (anything, like) the aircraft it's pretending to be? 

If I close one eye and squint the other one really hard... :D Actually up on the shelf it doesn't look half bad!

So, yeah, in the end it really was worth it! Although, it was starting to get a little old after 6 or 7 months... :P 

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, DarenC1 said:

I've built a couple of these before.  Not half as good as yours, but I did make an effort to spruce them up.

(Not gonna lie, I've made several of these, plus the Me109, and they scrub up reasonably well...!)

Thanks!  it was an interesting build to say the least.  And I learned how to do a lot of techniques that I'm still using today.

• 1 month later...

I have to admit to having a handful of Starfix kits in my stash. I bought them super-cheap, and for exactly the same reasons you touched on in your posts; as test subjects for paint and building techniques. They are made for that, as far as I'm concerned! Your efforts have paid off; if you can make THAT kit look that good, I look forward to seeing your work on a quality kit. Model on, sir!

• Thanks 1

Oh boy, that brings back memories :D I pretty much started with these kits as I was like...6 or 7 years old. I had that exact Spitfire and their Bf-109 and I still remember that silver-ish plastic roughly put into a shape kinda resembling the planes written on the box, but back then I couldn't care less about such things. Today...well just the nostalgia remained :D 

Kudos what you managed to get out of this kit and even more respect for your patience! :worthy:

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 7:47 PM, Rusty Shackleford said:

I have to admit to having a handful of Starfix kits in my stash. I bought them super-cheap, and for exactly the same reasons you touched on in your posts; as test subjects for paint and building techniques. They are made for that, as far as I'm concerned! Your efforts have paid off; if you can make THAT kit look that good, I look forward to seeing your work on a quality kit. Model on, sir!

Yeah, these are perfect for practice.  Lots of modeling practice for a dollar?  That's a good deal.  And you might be surprised and get a decent result. :) 

On 12/18/2020 at 2:17 AM, RupertTheBear said:

Oh boy, that brings back memories :D I pretty much started with these kits as I was like...6 or 7 years old. I had that exact Spitfire and their Bf-109 and I still remember that silver-ish plastic roughly put into a shape kinda resembling the planes written on the box, but back then I couldn't care less about such things. Today...well just the nostalgia remained :D 

Kudos what you managed to get out of this kit and even more respect for your patience! :worthy:

Thanks!  Well, I'm glad it brings back memories for you.  I remember being 9 years old and building models without worrying about shapes, or seams, or the exact color of paint... :D 

On 12/18/2020 at 6:34 AM, David Womby said:

My goodness.  Great workmanship but what a piece of crud Starfix moulded.

Thanks!  It's pretty incredible how bad the kit is, isn't it.  I had to share. ;) 

1 hour ago, Vile Traveller said:

Excellent testbed. with those proportions it could almost qualify as a Bandai "Super-Deformed" kit!

You're right! :D 

• Like 2