Good for a laugh! Spitfire Mk. XIV - Starfix 1/48

Spitfire Mk. XIV | 1/48 | Starfix
Great Britain | S/L James H. "Ginger" Lacey, Pilot

VJ2DYb5.jpg

I finished this 1/3/2017. I started it 9/15/2015 and was one of the first two models I started when I got back into the hobby after a 15 year break.

This was the worst model kit I have ever ever put together, bar none. Aside from the obvious shape and proportion issues:

• the scale is wrong (1/54 or 1/57, depending where you measure)
  • the quality was terrible 
  • the decals were trash (pictures follow)
  • the raised detail was ridiculously inaccurate and out of proportion (pictures follow)
  • the box said "mk. 21", but the body seemed more like a Mk.V or Mk. IX. I decided to make it into a Mk. XIV

But, I used it to try out a lot of techniques that I had read about during the 15 years I wasn't modeling.  I figured that if I messed up, this model didn't matter much, so no loss (The F-14 I was working on at the same time had the same objectives and reasoning).

During this build I had many firsts:

• rescribing panel lines
  • pin wash
  • black basing
  • sun fading using various shades of the base colors
  • using Tamiya smoke to create dirt and grime
  • oil wash to make gas and oil stains
  • using epoxy putty to make a new tail fin and try and correct the nose shape
  • using Testors acrylic paints (which I will never do again!!)

More info after the "glamour shots"

1cJ8IRk.jpg

KJwCkCH.jpg

N68WE52.jpg

mDQ6ZY2.jpg

Cb50Fi0.jpg

djINZ3W.jpg 

Why was this in my stash? Well, I got it at a dollar store (yes a dollar!! That spells kwality!) during my last year of high school.  This was pre-internet, and in my small town there were very few models to be found. This was such an exotic Spitfire to me, and I had no idea if I'd ever see a kit of it again, so I forked over the dollar, even though I knew the quality would be bad.

7mpgsNs.jpg?1

I dug it out in 2015 to try some new techniques.  First, though I had to get rid of the preposterous raised panel lines and rivets:

2dNEXHo.jpg

ojLfsLK.jpg

You may not be able to tell, but the panel lines on the wings are perpendicular to the seam, not perpendicular to the centerline of the aircraft.  That means that when dry fit, and looking down from above, the panel lines formed a "v" pointing aft!

The tail fin was entirely too small to be a Mk. 21 (or anything other than an early mark):

Q1ihQkp.jpg

I set out to fix the shape of the nose by sanding the squared off top:

b2A60xP.jpg?1

and then re-shaping it with epoxy putty:

VujK2QN.jpg?1

I made valve covers, which you'll see later.  I really should've elongated the nose, but that was going to be a real stretch for my skills.

Next, I re-shaped the tail using the epoxy putty.  I found a great side profile on the internet, sized it to 1/48, then printed it.  That's when I discovered that this kit is not 1/48!  In the end, I figured the fuselage was 1/54.

NBZYWP7.jpg

Here it is prior to priming:

uAapcHg.jpg

Then there were the decals.  They were out of proportion and the roundels off-center:

vdunQHf.jpg

and then I took the protective paper off:

rJLWGnk.jpg

I wonder how you use these decals?

Vcf7VLN.jpg

Well, that clears that up!

At this point, I was kind of proud of my work (not of the model itself), and figured it would be worth buying some aftermarket decals.  I really liked Ginger Lacey's plane, and was under the impression that he flew a brown and green Mk. XIV LF based on a lot of pictures

of models and die cast toys. I am now fairly certain that is not the case after reading this thread:

The markings are a little big because of the scale difference between model and decals. :( 

As terrible as this kit was, and as bad as the shape is, I still keep this around because it was the first time I achieved a fairly realistic finish on a model.  It took over a year to finish because I learned so much that I actually re-painted it a few times to use what I learned. 

Since I like the SEAC scheme, I recently bought a Hasagawa Mk. VIII with the SEAC paint scheme.  Since I like Ginger Lacey's a/c, I bought an Acadamy Mk. XIV and some aftermarket decals.  Hopefully those will be appearing soon on the RFI!

Thanks for looking -- Jokes, snide remarks or otherwise are clearly in order here! :) 

Edited by opus999
Fixed pictures
  • Like 33
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I'd have trashed that monstrosity long ago, or turned it into a paint mule. I'd heard Starfix kits were atrocious, and now we have photographic proof!

• Thanks 1

AAArrrrGGHHHHH! Its from Starfix it!

But my biggest respect to you!

Deteriorating Decals are better than detonating ones. Cant be shure with Starshit Models....

:shocked: 

Cheers,

Tom

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

I'd heard Starfix kits were atrocious, and now we have photographic proof!

You can't imagine how bad this was!

5 minutes ago, jhutchi said:

Better than me for even starting it! 

Heh... I didn't actually expect to finish it, I was just trying stuff out, but as my work got better and better I decided to see it through.  And at some point it just got to be a ridiculous goal to finish so all the work I'd done wasn't for naught....

6 minutes ago, replicant said:

AAArrrrGGHHHHH! Its from Starfix it!

But my biggest respect to you!

Deteriorating Decals are better than detonating ones. Cant be shure with Starshit Models....

:shocked: 

Cheers,

Tom

:cwl:

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

Since I like the SEAC scheme, I recently bought a Hasagawa Mk. VIII with the SEAC paint scheme.  Since I like Ginger Lacey's a/c, I bought an Acadamy Mk. XIV and some aftermarket decals.

Neither are accurate, the Hase kit has a too small rear fuselage, the Academy XIV ...the only accurate bit is the rear fin....

The Hase kit just looks funny next to a correctly proportioned Spitfire,  I have seen folks try to correct the rear fuselage,  but apparently it doesn't really fix it, but it doe not look terrible. 

The Academy XIV, well, one of my "pointless"*  Spitfire projects is correcting it ... as I have read oodles of tosh about the kit,  including the use of the Daco nose to correct it.   

Yes, OOB it's got lots of faults, but as far as I have got, you can make it 90% less crud by "some modelling skill"  as the problems are nearly all in the nature of oversize, and most of the panel lines are in the right place, and are finely done.

Given you have done an amazing job on the Starfix, perhaps you might like the challenge?   If you want the details I'll  dig it out  and post them up.

*"pointless" as in the low back XIV at least has been made obsolete by the Airfix kit .... but not as pointless as the Starfix kit! 

bit like correcting the old tool Tamiya Mk.I as well, again part done...along with a few others.  

If you fancy more masochism... the old Monogram Mk.IX is actually rather well shaped.... but rather like the Starfix in surface detail...

cheers

T

• Like 1

I have built loads of these Starfix kits and dont mind any accruracy issues,I just like gluing bits of plastic together.I do this hobby for fun,real life is serious enough.Well done on finishing your Spitfire.:clap2:

mohawk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant!  And your justification is quite rational.  I got a few Starfix kits once, because I'd heard the remarks, and someone was literally giving them away- just pay the postage.  Morbid curiosity strikes again!  I've got a few still kicking around, though can't remember exactly which.  Would you believe someone bought a couple from me, as a gag gift for the model club Christmas party?  (I hope he didn't get kicked out of the club.) 

The "1/72" A-4 actually does look like an A-4, so that one might be the first I'd reach for...

• Thanks 1

That is a fantastic finish on what you rightly say, as it does on the back of the 'stickers' (not even going to call them decals)  a toy.

How about building a quality version of the same thing to put next to it …..?

• Thanks 1

All of a sudden my Mach 2 Convair Sea Dart kit doesn't look TOO bad!!! 😉

Well done for fighting this through to the finish. Smart choice to use it as a 'skills refresher', though you certainly gave yourself a LOT of challenges all at once!

Those decals!!!!!! Lawd Almighty!!! Burn them, burn them! (as the Monty Python crew would inevitably cry!)

A strange looking result but a worthy demonstration of the [almost] RAF motto- "Through Hardship to the Starfix!" 🙂

Kev

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2019 at 1:10 PM, Tail-Dragon said:

Congrats on your perseverance !  It would not look out of place to have a large, silver windup key sticking out of it's back

🤣  That's actually a great idea!  It would at least make it seem like the poor shape was intentional!

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 12:07 PM, Troy Smith said:

Neither are accurate, the Hase kit has a too small rear fuselage, the Academy XIV ...the only accurate bit is the rear fin....

The Hase kit just looks funny next to a correctly proportioned Spitfire,  I have seen folks try to correct the rear fuselage,  but apparently it doesn't really fix it, but it doe not look terrible. 

The Academy XIV, well, one of my "pointless"*  Spitfire projects is correcting it ... as I have read oodles of tosh about the kit,  including the use of the Daco nose to correct it.   

Yes, OOB it's got lots of faults, but as far as I have got, you can make it 90% less crud by "some modelling skill"  as the problems are nearly all in the nature of oversize, and most of the panel lines are in the right place, and are finely done.

Given you have done an amazing job on the Starfix, perhaps you might like the challenge?   If you want the details I'll  dig it out  and post them up.

*"pointless" as in the low back XIV at least has been made obsolete by the Airfix kit .... but not as pointless as the Starfix kit! 

bit like correcting the old tool Tamiya Mk.I as well, again part done...along with a few others.  

If you fancy more masochism... the old Monogram Mk.IX is actually rather well shaped.... but rather like the Starfix in surface detail...

cheers

T

Nuts.

I appreciate the info though, so thank you! I'm really keen on doing a Mk. XIV highback, though and it seems like there just aren't any kits out there for it.  I looked at the Daco website for the nose you mentioned, but it seems like they produced those for 1/48 (and they're sold out for good).  My Academy is a 1/72 -- Are the issues related you  mentioned about the Academy 1/72 or 1/48?

I read a very complimentary and thorough review about the Sword 1/72 Mk. XIV -- what are your thoughts on that kit?

As far as the Mk. VIII goes ... There's the Eduard kit, which I have loads of experience with!  A shame that the Hasegawa kit is bad -- I expected more, but I guess I should've done the research before jumping in. 

That's what I love about this site though -- loads of folks that know a lot and are willing to help.  I'm grateful!

20 hours ago, stevehnz said:

As the old saying goes, you can't polish a turd. You've done a pretty fair job of rolling it in glitter though. ;) :D

Steve.

Thanks!  I've thought the same about this kit many times.  I may have to quote you someday... "rolling it in glitter" is classic! :) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I have built loads of these Starfix kits and dont mind any accruracy issues,I just like gluing bits of plastic together.I do this hobby for fun,real life is serious enough.Well done on finishing your Spitfire.:clap2:

mohawk

Thanks!  I have to say, it was a lot of fun to meet the challenge of make it look nice(r)... :D 

10 hours ago, Paulaero said:

How about building a quality version of the same thing to put next to it …..?

That's my plan, actually.  I have a Mk.XIV highback (though it is in 1/72) kit and Ginger Lacey after market decals for it.

• Like 1

The 1/72 Academy is pretty 'orrible.  If you want a better 1/72 kit there's always the Fujimi one, not that I've seen it for a while.  It suffered from trying to do too many variants with the same tooling, and the highback extra didn't quite match the fuselage it was sitting on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelman182 said:

All of a sudden my Mach 2 Convair Sea Dart kit doesn't look TOO bad!!! 😉

Happy to help! :D 

1 hour ago, modelman182 said:

you certainly gave yourself a LOT of challenges all at once!

Boy, did I!  I thought it was just going to be a simple exercise in rescribing.  But it kept growing and growing....:surprised:

4 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The 1/72 Academy is pretty 'orrible.  If you want a better 1/72 kit there's always the Fujimi one, not that I've seen it for a while.  It suffered from trying to do too many variants with the same tooling, and the highback extra didn't quite match the fuselage it was sitting on.

That's good to know.  The Hyperscale review I read compared the Sword kit with the Fujimi kit and decided it was actually more accurate on a couple of shape issues, just as good on the rest of the shape and had better detail. Plus, I can actually find that one.

• Like 1