Spitfire Mk. XVI bubbletop, Eduard, 1/72

Spitfire Mk. XVI bubbletop | 1/72 | Eduard
No. 443 Squadron, Uetersen airfield, Germany, August 1945

CnEewLy.jpg

I finished this on October 20, 2019. It is one of the Eduard Spitfire Mk. XVI dual combo kits. These Eduard Spitfire kits are marvelous. Unbelievably detailed and mostly effortless to put together (I had a little difficulty fitting the wings on, which I don't remember having a problem with on my Eduard Mk. IXc kit.

I made this one at the same time as and Eduard Mk. IXe (Rolf A. Berg, Norwegian pilot in the RAF)  WIP is here

From the instructions: "No. 443 Squadron RCAF had a Hornet painted in the unit crest along with the motto 'Our Sting is Death'. The colors on the spinner thus corresponded with the name of the unit. The squadron flew Spitfire Mk.XVIs and stayed in Uetersen until its disbandment on May 15, 1946. The Sky band on the tail was overpainted with camouflage colors."

Finishing: Seams filled with CA (superglue)

Paints:  Mr. Surfacer 1500 black primer  > Hataka Ocean Gray/Dark Green/Light Sea Gray

Decals: Kit decals

Weathering/Wear: Selected panel lines highlighted with 0.2 mm pencil > Tamiya weathering pastels (black) > sun fading with white oil paint > oil staining and dirt streaks with Black and Burnt Umber watercolor Paints > Chips with Testors Chrome enamel applied with a spotter brush

rZ09cPf.jpg

I2lilam.jpg

oA4aTpD.jpg

OsNHqc9.jpg

XU8CCCN.jpg

bABTzpe.jpg

3Hiylyu.jpg

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoy.  Constructive criticism, comments and questions welcome!

Edited by opus999
Added link
  • Like 23

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

A very striking looking pair of spits. Well done.

Thanks!  And thanks for looking in at the WIP, nice to have you along!

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

My only negative observation is that i think the oil leaks on the underside area little heavy.

You think so? I appreciate the observation -- sometimes in the "heat of it" I fear things can be overdone. I've been trying to make it a habit to step back and look at the big picture to keep things subtle. In this case (and my other Spitfires actually), I have a decent sized set of Spitfire underside photos and the vast majority have at least some oil leakage on the bottom.  On more than half that leakage is pretty dark. So, I based my weathering on that. 

However, your comment has prompted me to go back and look at those photos again.  I think maybe the center streak could be toned down quite a bit, looking at the average stain patterns in the photos. The two outer ones aren't too outrageous, but could be shorter. 

So, while I can't do much about these builds, I think on my other Spitfires (4 down, 6 to go!) I will need to recalibrate the underside weathering to my historical photo collection.

Thanks for the discussion -- half the fun is in the sharing!