Spitfire Mk. IXe, Rolf Berg (Norway), Eduard, 1/72

Spitfire Mk. IXe | 1/72 | Eduard
flown by W/Cdr Rolf Arne Berg, CO of No. 132 Wing, Twente AB, the Netherlands, winter 1944 – 1945

8YgqhTY.jpg

I finished this on October 20, 2019.  It is the Spitfire Mk. IXe from Eduard's "The longest day" dual combo with decals from Eduard's royal boxing of the Mk. IX kindly provided by @Procopius.  Since I am roughly half Norwegian, I've wanted to make a collection of all the fighters the Royal Norwegian Air Force has flown.  While Rolf Berg was a Norwegian in the RAF, I figured it was a good one to start my collection with because of the prominent Norwegian pre-war markings on the tail and wings. 

When I first saw Berg's spitfire a couple of years ago, I knew I had to make a model of it!

From the instructions: "This aircraft was flown by the CO of No.132 (Norwegian) Wing W/Cdr Rolf Arne Berg. Berg ordered ground personel of his unit to paint the pre-war Norwegian national insignia on the wings and rudder in the fall of 1944 and asked RAF Supreme Command for permission to carry this marking. RAF Command deemed the marking as forbidden and Berg was forced to remove it in January 1945. Berg met his fate on February 3, 1945. At the very end of his combat tour he decided to fly one more combat mission. His Spitfire PV181 was hit by AA-fire over Eelde, the Netherlands. Wing damage led to a crash and Berg's death. He scored 5 3⁄4 confirmed and 1 1⁄2 probable kills with 3 damaged."

The instructions say he was killed "...at the end of his tour...", but the great article here (https://www.norwegianspitfire.com/rolf-arne-berg-the-legend/) said it was on the very day he was leaving service and that the mission was voluntary! Very sad, indeed. He sounded like a great pilot, and a gentleman.

I built this at the same time as an Eduard Mk. XVIWIP is here

Finishing: Seams filled with CA (superglue)

Paints:  Mr. Surfacer 1500 black primer  > Hataka Ocean Gray/Dark Green/Light Sea Gray/Sky > Mr. Surfacer 1500 black spray and Mr. Color Aircraft Gray for invasion stripes

Decals: Eduard Royal Class boxing decals

Weathering/Wear: Selected panel lines highlighted with 0.2 mm pencil > Tamiya weathering pastels (black) > sun fading with white oil paint > oil staining and dirt streaks with Black and Burnt Umber watercolor Paints > Chips with Testors Chrome enamel applied with a spotter brush

wObmFD3.jpg

TyxTxne.jpg

A4hbZh4.jpg

22GHBkm.jpg

MQIRarZ.jpg

4ss5VEV.jpg

lfzK9P3.jpg

cRzWDtn.jpg

FExxwlI.jpg

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoy.  Constructive criticism, comments and questions welcome!

Edited by opus999
Added link
  • Like 42

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent ! :worthy: ... This is one on my to do list along with other Norwegian air force aircraft. 

Thank you sir!  I am quite pleased.  It was fun to have you along on the ride, too!

• Like 1

Great work Opus - she came out lovely - the build and paintwork is top notch and I really like the weathering effects and chipping - subtle and just right :) It was a great WIP too which I really enjoyed following along.

One suggestion for future builds would be to check out some of the products that can be used to recreate the oil spills you put on the underside - I use this stuff which can be tricky to learn how to use but can give you a pretty nice effect... You can also use oil paint which also works quite well. 

Looking forward to seeing the other spit in all her glory :)

• Thanks 1

Very nice model!

There are some mistakes in Eduard's painting instructions though. Two are related to the id stripes ("invasion stripes"). PV181 did not have the underwing stripes at the time the Norwegian insignia were applied. For the fuselage, the aft-most white stripe was applied on the Sky fuselage band. Furthermore, the original roundels were painted over with both grey and green paint, and PV181 had four-spoke wheels. All issues can be seen on photos.

Nils

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

I really like the weathering effects and chipping - subtle and just right

I'm glad to hear that! I was a little concerned that I may have overdone the paint chipping after revisiting the reference photos I have.  In the end I determined that it was on the extreme end of the scale for paint chips in European based Spitfires. So, I'm relieved it doesn't seem too outrageous to an objective eye!

It was a great WIP too which I really enjoyed following along.

Glad to have you along!

check out some of the products that can be used to recreate the oil spills you put on the underside

I'll have a look at the link you posted. I'm always looking for ways to improve.  Or make life easier... ;) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

First rate!

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

Lovely work.

Stuart.

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A great build & a fine tribute to a brave man, such a poignant tale.

Steve.

Thanks guys, and thanks for looking in at the WIP -- I really appreciated the input.  I got some new things to think about for future builds.

12 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Very nice model!

There are some mistakes in Eduard's painting instructions though. Two are related to the id stripes ("invasion stripes"). PV181 did not have the underwing stripes at the time the Norwegian insignia were applied. For the fuselage, the aft-most white stripe was applied on the Sky fuselage band. Furthermore, the original roundels were painted over with both grey and green paint, and PV181 had four-spoke wheels. All issues can be seen on photos.

Nils

Nils, thanks for the insights!  I wish I'd known this during the build, but I also wish I was more observant, because I went back and looked at my reference photos and saw most of the issues you point out (I don't have any underside photos). :(  

Frankly, I was trusting too much in Eduard's apparent thoroughness and didn't do all of the homework I usually do. 

Did you ever (or do you plan to) make Berg's or Svein Hegelund's markings in decals?

Edited by opus999

12 hours ago, opus999 said:

Did you ever (or do you plan to) make Berg's or Svein Hegelund's markings in decals?

Some of the earlier Vingtor sheets might have Spitfires that have been flown by Berg or Heglund. I cannot recall specificly at the moment of writing. On sheet 108 there is MJ462/RAB (Berg's first Spitfire with his initials), but this is in 1/48 and 1/32 scale only.

Most 331/332 Sqn Spitfires have general markings which can be made by using generic letters and numbers. Doung decals for aircraft with any special markings is interesting though. Do you have anything in mind?

Nils

On 10/25/2019 at 1:21 AM, Vingtor said:

Do you have anything in mind?

Not off the top of my head.  I was just exploring what other aircraft Berg or Heglund might have flown -- Might be fun to build them too.