1/48th B-17C - Revell/Koster

The B-17 is my all-time favourite aircraft and I've always wanted to build an early version in 1/48th scale. I bought the excellent Koster conversion a few years ago which gives you a new rear fuselage and stabilisers to convert the Monogram B-17G to an earlier B/C/D model. The conversion also comes with a Cheyenne tail turret and staggered waist gun set up to make a late G-model - parts I'd used previously:

48947994947_fd1f5feb79_z.jpgDSC_0129 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The main components are all vacuform, and are molded very crisply. There are crystal clear canopies (the B/C/D models had a different flight deck arrangement as well as a more heavily framed nose piece) as well as decals for an early USAAF B-17C/D:

48947256298_d84ecc0ae3_z.jpgDSC_0123 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I decided to actually use the Revell B-17F kit, as it requires less modification to the nose than using the Monogram B-17G. However, you still have to do a fair bit of surgery to backdate the F to the earlier models. The nose needs cutting off and a section removed due to the shorter noses on the B/C/D models. The whole rear fuselage also needs removing just aft of the radio room:

48947252913_7e78f3c8a2_z.jpgIMG_E1390 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The new vacform rear fuselage can then be offered up to the Revell fuselage:

48947993627_78555ce627_z.jpgIMG_E1388 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Here the shortened nose has been reattached and mods carried out to the cheek windows which were the earlier style without the later enlarged cheek gun windows seen on the late E-model onwards:

48947993052_ffe63d591e_z.jpgIMG_E1428 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

It was then a case of painting the interior and gluing everything together:

48947997412_ffc6bfde4a_z.jpgIMG_1633 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

48947992572_9e03224ed0_z.jpgIMG_1632 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And that's as far as things have progressed so far. All pretty straight-forward as far as conversions go, helped by the excellent quality and fit of the Koster parts. 

This will eventually be finished as an RAF Fortress MkI as a tribute to the pioneers of daylight bombing very early in the war. 

Tom

• Like 30

32 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Great start Tom, looking forwards to seeing your progress. Can’t wait for the new Fort from HK

Cheers, Neil. Me neither - I’ve got about 5 Monogram kits still in the stash which I may well flog off now. The new HK kit looks stunning - I’ve got plans for a 100 Group version to accompany this one. 

Tom 

Love those early shark tails. I had a couple of those Kosters before I realized I was not going to use them, and that Academy had their 1/72 versions.

Your progress is looking great. I'll be pulling up a couch to lay down on!

16 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Love those early shark tails. I had a couple of those Kosters before I realized I was not going to use them, and that Academy had their 1/72 versions.

Your progress is looking great. I'll be pulling up a couch to lay down on!

There’s something about the early Forts - they look so sleek with the earlier more streamlined fuselage and tail in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Nice!! I do love the modern world of modeling.  So many goodies out there that weren't available to us decades ago.

Thanks - this conversion is actually quite an old one and has been around for years. I believe Bill Koster has recently retired and therefore I’m not sure how easily his conversions will be to track down from now on which is a shame. 

• Like 1

I hear you on that with folks in the business retiring and then the availability of the parts/ AM kits Tom.

I went through that same scenario with Ross Gibson engines for 1/24-1/25 scale autos. This guy made the coolest scale engines....and I mean the coolest!! Very detailed and crisply molded stuff. He passed away suddenly a few years ago and people were scrambling to get the remaining available stock that he had. It's dang near impossible to get your hands ahold of any of those engine kits these days at a decent price.

• 4 months later...

Little bit more done on the Fort of late.

Cockpit interior finished off after raiding the spares box of some old Monogram seats - the earlier C-models had four seats on the flightdeck:

49675584193_fb319b2da2_z.jpgIMG_1649 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The engines have been painted and the cowls added. The C-model didn't have cowl flaps so there were removed, replaced with plastic card and then blended in with filler. 

The vacform cockpit glazing was carefully cut to shape, added to the upper fuselage and given a rough coat of bronze green prior to priming. I also made the nose windows from clear acetate which were carefully cut to shape and secured with Clearfix:

49676117051_7e5eac615b_z.jpgIMG_1845 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

On the underside, the vacformed 'bath-tub' under gun emplacement has been trimmed and added, the openings for the oil coolers between the engines banked off and filled, and the small oil cooler intakes added to the outboard sides of the outer nacelles, and just forward of the wheels wells on the inner nacelles. There were all provided by the conversion kit so it was just a case of trimming them to size:

49675584303_d1df7b9bf4_z.jpgIMG_1846 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've also settled on a scheme, too:

49676404422_cb7c35dd49_z.jpgFortress MkI 3 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

(Used for illustrative purposes only)

I now need to add the clear nose piece, and it'll be time for primer.

Happy modelling all.

Tom

• Like 15

That's an impressive build and will give you something truly unique to display. Bet you see very few of those, either at modeling shows or even on internet modeling web sites. I too really like the early B-17s. 

This is cool.  I remember there was a movie about the Pearl Harbour attack told from the point of view of a bomber crew, who were flying this model of B-17.  I think it might have been done while the war was on, and I can remember thinking what a weird looking tail the early B-17 had :)  Keep up the good work Tom :yes:

Hi Tom

Looks like another stunner!

109ace on Facebook/ eBay is in the process of producing a resin B17C/D conversion in 1/48 to be released soon. Don’t know how much it will be yet (hope the pound recovers against the dollar soon!).

Cheers

Glen

On 24/10/2019 at 11:32, tomprobert said:

I believe Bill Koster has recently retired and therefore I’m not sure how easily his conversions will be to track down from now on which is a shame. 

Rumour has it someone in the US picked up his masters, there was a thread(s) about this on Hyperscale.   I regret not ordering some bits when I still could....

I have a couple of Koster items I picked up elsewhere, and was very impressed by them.  I think the vac bits will work better than resin for big bits like this, shame vacforms have become 'old hat'...

Great work on the Fortress! 

On 3/19/2020 at 5:41 PM, SAT69 said:

That's an impressive build and will give you something truly unique to display. Bet you see very few of those, either at modeling shows or even on internet modeling web sites. I too really like the early B-17s. 

You don't see too many around but I have seen one at a couple of shows in the UK done in the very nice war-games schemes used by the US army in the days leading up to Pearl Harbor. It was a real eye-catcher.

On 3/19/2020 at 5:44 PM, Mike said:

This is cool.  I remember there was a movie about the Pearl Harbour attack told from the point of view of a bomber crew, who were flying this model of B-17.  I think it might have been done while the war was on, and I can remember thinking what a weird looking tail the early B-17 had :)  Keep up the good work Tom :yes:

Thanks, Mike. A flight of B-17s flew right into the thick of the attack - out of gas and out of ammo. One of the pilots was quoted as saying, "What a way to join a war..."

On 3/19/2020 at 6:11 PM, Rob K. said:

Nice conversion. I have a G in my stash and the eduard set(s) to go with it. Have started it, but have trouble finishing. Getting motivated again after seeing your WIP. 👍

Get cracking! You can never see too many B-17s being built.

23 hours ago, Glen said:

Hi Tom

Looks like another stunner!

109ace on Facebook/ eBay is in the process of producing a resin B17C/D conversion in 1/48 to be released soon. Don’t know how much it will be yet (hope the pound recovers against the dollar soon!).

Cheers

Glen

Hi Glen,

Yes - I had seen that. He's doing/done a Privateer as well I believe. Hope all is good with you - and you haven't got too much unwelcome time on your hands with the lack of flying..?

22 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Rumour has it someone in the US picked up his masters, there was a thread(s) about this on Hyperscale.   I regret not ordering some bits when I still could....

I have a couple of Koster items I picked up elsewhere, and was very impressed by them.  I think the vac bits will work better than resin for big bits like this, shame vacforms have become 'old hat'...

Great work on the Fortress! 

It would be a shame for the range not to be continued. Koster kits are indeed excellent - some of the best vacform parts out there. I'd dearly love the Privateer conversion one day so I'd be very happy to see them re-released.

Tom

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

Hi Glen,

Yes - I had seen that. He's doing/done a Privateer as well I believe. Hope all is good with you - and you haven't got too much unwelcome time on your hands with the lack of flying..?

I bought the Privateer a couple of weeks ago (sadly just before he retooled it!) and will probably go for a B17 when it comes around and the £ and work have recovered. Unfortunately looks like a lot of unpaid time at home coming up....

• Sad 1

On 19/03/2020 at 14:01, tomprobert said:

the earlier C-models had four seats on the flightdeck

Interesting. What did the two in the back do? It doesn’t look like they had much space (or kit!) to perform any duties!

Lovely build so far Tom.

10 hours ago, Glen said:

I bought the Privateer a couple of weeks ago (sadly just before he retooled it!) and will probably go for a B17 when it comes around and the £ and work have recovered. Unfortunately looks like a lot of unpaid time at home coming up....

Unpaid leave... not good. Let's hope everything gets back to normality as soon as possible. Still, it may give you some extra time time at the bench... every cloud...

What's the quality of the Privateer like? Worth the investment? Agreed that it's probably best to wait until the £ recovers a little!

10 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

That looks amazing!

Koster did some of the best vac work out there and you are doing it justice sir!

(Hmm, I think I have one of those...somewhere...)

Yes indeed - once trimmed and sanded to shape, the parts fit as good as any injection-molded kit I've built. Transparencies are beautiful, too.

18 minutes ago, JasonC said:

Interesting. What did the two in the back do? It doesn’t look like they had much space (or kit!) to perform any duties!

Lovely build so far Tom.

Thanks, Jason - the extra seats on the flightdeck were, I believe, for the flight engineer and an observer, who used the large astrodome above to act as fire-control and direct the gunners in coordinating the bomber's defensive fire.  When the upper turret came in on the 'big-tailed' E-models, there was no longer any room for the two additional seats and they were removed. The rear floor had to be lowered too to accommodate the turret's framing. When you delve into it, the earlier 'shark-fin' models were a very different beast to the 'big-fin' later versions. 

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
Typos
  • Like 2

I've now added the nose transparency - this was the only part of the conversion that didn't fit particularly well and was a little too large. This is maybe because it's designed for the Monogram rather than Revell kit, but some very careful trimming and filing meant I got there in the end.

I did think I was ready for masking and priming, but a ghost-seam has appeared where the vacform rear fuselage joins the injection-molded Revell plastic so another round of filler needed before I can add any paint:

49706041962_765099595b_z.jpgS1030196 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

49706041857_bac0d2bce6_z.jpgS1030192 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Hopefully, the next update will be reporting on some paint going on!

Stay safe out there...

Tom

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken advantage of the beautiful weather and have sprayed the Fort.

First was a coat of Halford's finest:

49754221932_677f5dcdf5_z.jpgIMG_0036 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Followed by Xtracolour's finest:

49754210917_1eef498b47_z.jpgS1030240 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

49753873216_681b9db0cf_z.jpgS1030242 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And the undersides:

49753341343_b6459a994c_z.jpgS1030245 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

This will have a day or two to harden off, and then it'll be decal time...

All the best,

Tom

• Like 13

Amazing job! I totally agree with the others about the quality of the vacforms that Bill Koster produced- even if they were not in my preferred scale. There's something so majestic about a shark fin Fort in natural metal or RAF colors! Can't wait to see the RFI! BTW, I wasn't aware that the B-17C/D  nose was that much shorter than the later variants; I had always thought it was just the more blunt nose transparency.

Mike

@Mike,

Maybe the film you recall was 'Air Force' which was filmed during the war using shark fin B-17's from training units.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_(film)

• Like 1

Not sure how I missed this one, but I've just caught up. She's looking great. I must admit I had no idea they were so different from the later models, I'd always assumed it was basically just the tail and armament. The early USAAF ones with the striped tails are certainly eye catching!

Ian