Sherman Firefly 1c, Welded Hull.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Bob. I hope that we will be seeing your 1c.

Here is where I am at the moment, a couple of welds and all the details to add, I'll just have to have a "Sherman" week, the well known photo of the 11th Armoured Division M4/1c with the socks drying on the main gun barrel, a couple of "sock" shaped pieces of 5 thou plastic card should do the trick.

IMG_1013

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Here is where I am at the moment, a couple of welds and all the details to add, I'll just have to have a "Sherman" week, the well known photo of the 11th Armoured Division M4/1c with the socks drying on the main gun barrel, a couple of "sock" shaped pieces of 5 thou plastic card should do the trick.

That's looking good Bob. Hope to see more of the build.

John.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, FG2Si said:

Very lovely looking build John. I'm hoping to start one soon at some  point as well. I just love the look of Firefly Shermans.

Carl

Thanks Carl. Yes, I agree with you about Fireflys. I've got the Dragon 1c Hybrid and Tasca's Vc when I get round to them. I'm running out of display space though.

John.

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's looking good Bob. Hope to see more of the build.

Hi John,  That picture of the Firefly 1c shows it has T 51 tracks, so today I have finished making up a pair of Modelkastern tracks for it, oh the fun!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi John,  That picture of the Firefly 1c shows it has T 51 tracks, so today I have finished making up a pair of Modelkastern tracks for it, oh the fun!

If you are doing something like this in the future, go for Panda Plastics tracks. They are dead simple to assemble.

John.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

If you are doing something like this in the future, go for Panda Plastics tracks. They are dead simple to assemble.

Cannot say that I have heard of Panda tracks, I will look them up.  The Modelkastern tracks were in the stash, plus I have AFV Club and Bronco sets of the various patterns of Sherman tracks, they are all better than rubber band tracks, it's just that they take so long to assemble. though to speed things up I usually treat them like Dragons magic tracks and glue them together in shaped lengths.  More :) Less :wtf:

10 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Cannot say that I have heard of Panda tracks, I will look them up.  The Modelkastern tracks were in the stash, plus I have AFV Club and Bronco sets of the various patterns of Sherman tracks, they are all better than rubber band tracks, it's just that they take so long to assemble. though to speed things up I usually treat them like Dragons magic tracks and glue them together in shaped lengths.  More :) Less :wtf:

Here you go.

http://shermantracks.com/assembly.html

.........and don't mention Bronco tracks please. It brings on another anxiety attack. (Talking about the "workable" ones here).

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

.........and don't mention Bronco tracks please. It brings on another anxiety attack. (Talking about the "workable" ones here).

I was talking about Bronco "workable" tracks, I have made several sets in working condition, for the Matilda and Sherman, but they take too long, so now I just glue them as I build sections and let them dry on the tank.  I was after some of the 3 bar T 49 tracks from Bronco, I had to get them from China in the end, the boxes were stamped on the inside "For Chinese Mainland only" ???   The Panda tracks are similar to the AFV Club ones and I have assembled them both ways, glueing just one pin per track link, so the track remains flexible or assembling the whole track length and using thin glue to keep it joined.

• Like 1

Thats a beauty John,.....and I love the scheme you`ve chosen too,........ well done on adding the tie down ropes which I forgot on my Lee!!!

Certa Cito

Cheers,

Tony

• Thanks 1

On 30/10/2019 at 22:39, tonyot said:

Thats a beauty John,.....and I love the scheme you`ve chosen too,........ well done on adding the tie down ropes which I forgot on my Lee!!!

Certa Cito

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks Tony. I based it on one in the Tamiya 1/48th kit. I like to show the stowage with tie downs to make it look more stable.

John.

• Like 1

So sorry John, just realised I hadn't left a comment on your tremendous Firefly,  had it in the old noggin I'd done it earlier!:doh:

Absolute masterpiece, all your skill, hardwork and knowledge of your subject has clearly paid off. Not to mention an education in following the wip, which I can hopefully rip- off, sorry learn from when I get back to my Vc! :idea:

The figures and base really finish it nicely and put it in context.

Looking forward to your next masterclass. 

Thanks again for showing. 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

So sorry John, just realised I hadn't left a comment on your tremendous Firefly,  had it in the old noggin I'd done it earlier!:doh:

Absolute masterpiece, all your skill, hardwork and knowledge of your subject has clearly paid off. Not to mention an education in following the wip, which I can hopefully rip- off, sorry learn from when I get back to my Vc! :idea:

The figures and base really finish it nicely and put it in context.

Looking forward to your next masterclass. 

Thanks again for showing. 

Darryl 

Thanks for the comments Darryl. Much appreciated.

John.

17 hours ago, Kris B said:

Good job John, as usually. 

1 hour ago, Andy Moore said:

A killer Firefly John; well up to your usual high standards. I love the simple but effective base too.

Andy:cat:

Thanks Chris. Thanks Andy. Your comments are much appreciated.

John.

One more time, my apologies for having lost this construction.

Very well finished and that team added together with the two figures makes a beautiful and convincing interpretation of the Firefly.
I love the detail of the cannon, how have you managed to do that pattern ?, I imagine with a mask ?.:goodjob:

Cheers John.👍

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

One more time, my apologies for having lost this construction.

Very well finished and that team added together with the two figures makes a beautiful and convincing interpretation of the Firefly.
I love the detail of the cannon, how have you managed to do that pattern ?, I imagine with a mask ?.:goodjob:

Cheers John.👍

Hi Francis and thanks for the comments. You're correct about the cammo on the 17pdr. I cut a mask from tape and then sprayed it.

John.