Wethersfield F-100Fs

MigModeller

The only problem with the Xtradecal sheet is that the fin flash is the earlier, pre 1961 4 colour one, which was used to denote the wing commander's airplane. The one in your photo of 63990 has the later blue ( Leading ) yellow and red marking, so you might have to hunt around for the gecals. I know Modeldecals had those squadron markings, and they pop up on eBay from time to time, so worth a look.

One other quick point, in case you don't know, all the Wethersfield F-100's at that time were painted aluminium, and not natural metal ( Apart from the rear fuselage )    HTH:cheers:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

The only problem with the Xtradecal sheet is that the fin flash is the earlier, pre 1961 4 colour one, which was used to denote the wing commander's airplane. The one in your photo of 63990 has the later blue ( Leading ) yellow and red marking, so you might have to hunt around for the gecals. I know Modeldecals had those squadron markings, and they pop up on eBay from time to time, so worth a look.

One other quick point, in case you don't know, all the Wethersfield F-100's at that time were painted aluminium, and not natural metal ( Apart from the rear fuselage )    HTH:cheers:

Painted aluminium?   Shocked by this.  Thanks for the warning Starfighter.   You just prevented a modelling disater.

Thanks Andyf117  The Xtradecal sheet has missed the fuel tank flash

Edited by MigModeller

Check with Hannants, they may have the Microscale set you are looking for.  I know the company did the decals as I and a friend  built a bunch of F-100s in the painted aluminium  schemes way back...

• Like 1

The four colour tail flash was only applied to the Wing commander's airplane ( 63000 ) and the deputy wing commander's pane ( 53668 ) allthe other f-100's had a single colour flash in either blue ( 55th. TFS ) red ( 77th. TFS ) or Yellow ( 79th. TFS ) so the decals are correct for 63000 up until 1961, when they changed to centralised servicing and all a/c had the three colour flash applied, as seen in the photo of 63990.  HTH:cheers:

The Modeldecal sheet is more accurate than the Wolfpak one. Most Wethersfield F-100's  had the flash with blue at the front, but some were painted with red leading. Not sure why this was . . . Maybe just the way they were finished ?

While serving with 17 Squadron in Germany some of our Phantoms had the zig zag squadron marking painted "Upside down " or a mirror image, depending on how the paint stencils were applied by the finishing shop, so maybe that happened at Wethersfield too. Also, the flash on the wing tank was not a standard marking, so possibly for a fighter meet, etc.

Spoiler

Edited by Starfighter

I think that photo was taken at an RAF base, as I have another pic of 63990 which shows it parked next to an F-101 Voodoo of the 81st. TFW, and the background looks very much like an RAF base, possibly taken at an RAF Battle Of Britain "At home " day

14 hours ago, andyf117 said:

The photo here also has a couple of Voodoo tails behind, along with an RAF Lightning...

ABPic has a couple of colour shots of Wethersfield F-100Fs, dated 1964 and 1965 respectively:

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/abpic-media-eu-production/pictures/full_size_034/1051828-large.jpg

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/abpic-media-eu-production/pictures/full_size_031/1048160-large.jpg

This one's undated:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fe/d0/29/fed029d7756eb4cd334190fba7c9dc8e.jpg

This B&W one is dated 1966:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/F-100F_20th_TFW_RAF_Wethersfield_1966.jpg

This page is of 20th TFW F-100s, in colour and b&w:

http://www.f-100.org/hun050.shtml

Superb photos, most of which I've downloaded, but thanks for adding them to this topic, as there may be quite a few people who have not seen them before. I spent quite a lot of my school holidays at Wethersfield watching the F-100's " Over the fence " so I do have a special interest in the 20th. TFW's airplanes.:cheers:

Edited by Starfighter

The tail flash on that decal sheet is for the wing commander's airplane, which shows the 3 squadron colours, plus red leading as the a/c was assigned to the 77th. TFS at the time, which was their colour, which is also why it has the red fuselage flash. All other 20th. TFW a/c had either a solid red ( 77th. TFS ) blue ( 55th. TFS ) or yellow ( 79th. TFS) tail & fuselage flash with the squadron badge applied in the centre. these markings were changed to a standard 3 colour fin flash in about 1961.  HTH:cheers:

15 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Not Insignia Blue, but a lighter shade, matching that of the wing badge above it, as seen in the colour pics that I linked to - Modeldecal and Wolfpak both got it right...

The three colour flash was a medium / dark blue, yellow and red, but the Microscale markings for 63000 should have the blue as insignia blue, which matched the top part of the shield on the wing emblem. The background of the emblem WAS a medium blue. If you look at later photos with the three colour flash you can see that the blue is indeed like the background colour of the wing emblem, but the shield is darker.

6 hours ago, Starfighter said:

What I wouldn't give to have that as a poster ! :cheers:

Take the photo to an office supply store like OfficeMax if you have them in the U.K. They can make poster size printouts. If its strictly a one off there shouldn't be any issues with copyright. Since it is for personal use.