Yak-1b ARMA HOBBY 1/72

Redboost

Basic cockpit assembly is taking place, I'm using some of the etched provided in the kit. I left out only those requiring removal of the raised details on control boxes etc. which are fine enough and the etched do not look any better.

Looking at the instructions, I believe those etched wheels on either cockpit side should be placed higher, almost at the cockpit upper edge and not at the side consoles (these were elevator trim wheel and oil cooler louvres wheel, respectively).

I'm not sure of the positions of the fabric holder of the signal pistol cartriges, which was according to period pictures located on the right hand side, while the kit has it on the left (I admit I'm reffering to "older" Yak-1 cockpit shown in the Khuznyecov book "Pervyj Jak" - "The First Yak", so the Yak-1b could have placed it otherwise).

Time clock: 45 min

• Like 19

Well I just received mine today (two, actually), and although I have yet to put blade to plastic, I have to say the parts look beautiful on the one sprue they come on. There is almost no flash, and the moulding is just about perfect. I know what a great job Libor does on his models (I still remember that marvellous Tamiya Il-2 you did, Libor), so I'll be following along with this build to see how to do it. Best of luck, Libor!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Libor,

Outstanding work so far! Looks like every bit as accurate and well-fitting as their Hurricane. I have one of these on order, and can't wait to put it into Normandie-Niemen colors and markings. Can't wait to see yours finished! My very favorite Yak, too!

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike! The fit seems to be great so far, better than their Hurricane kit. I had some fit issues with it, nothing really major, but it seems it was designed with very tight tolerances leaving no room for small adjustments, something like Eduard Fw190's if you know what I mean. It is kinda paradox such great and very accurate kits are somehow difficult to build.

Btw, I go for Durand's machine, but I'm not certain how to figure out those "fish scales" on the nose...

• Like 2

The interior is painted with H306 which is my fit for the A-14 "Interior Steel Grey" - I have the complete Akan acrylics range, but they dry out quite quickly, so I keep the bottles just as the samples for my Gunze matches.

The paint chipping in the cockpit is done with Light Sand acrylics to simulate the primer nitroputty layer underneath.

I removed the solid UBS barrel from the cowling with fine drill bit and file, and glued inside a blob of Blu-Tack which will later hold the brass turned replacement barrel.

Time: 2 hrs

• Like 11

Great job as usual, Libor! That's a nice touch with the nitroputty showing through. I've done that on the outside of my models, but I admit I haven't thought about doing this on the interior.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That interior looks excellent, Libor! Once I get some more work done on my Shackletons (I have three builds going now!), I make take a break from them and work on this and the Brengun Yak-1B.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now onto the canopy; first I cut the kit's item to three parts. I thought I may use the mid section from the Falcon canopy intended for the Mikro kit, but this seemed to be to low to slide over the kit's rear glazing. On the other hand, the Falcon canopy is very close to shapes and dimensions of the kit canopy and I suggest it may fit with some adjustments. Eventually, I made a new sliding section from 0.2mm clear foil moulded over the kit's part.

The head armoured glass was in fact assembled of several sections fitted into a frame, so I reproduced this with scribing the lines in the part and accentuated them with dark wash.

48996730406_4ca9a696ba_c.jpg

• Like 12

Very nice work on the clear parts, especially the armoured glass! There doesn't seem to be much in the way of seams on this model - so the fit is very good?

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

The canopy masks are provided in this 'Expert' series kit and they are cut from a yellow tape. Most of the masks fit nicely except one for the rear glazing, which is slightly oversized. This can be easily addressed cutting it lengthwise in two part, so they can overlapped each other.

Primed kit, all imperfections are now being sorted out and damaged panel lines restored. Forget to mention I cut off the radiator outlet flap and fixed it slightly extended.

Painting starts with the lower surfaces. My fit for the AMT-7 is mixture of H323 with H67 in 1:1 ratio.

• Like 19