Air Canada Boeing B787-9 in 1/144

I present my Zvezda Boeing 787-9 in the new rebranded livery of Air Canada.

The build was OOB with the decals provided by Greg at DrawDecal. Like the rest of my Zvezda builds they go together very well... I am quite embarrassed and disappointed with this build as the quality is poor ☹️. I built this one a while ago but I wish I had waited to build it once I had learnt some of the skills and techniques I know now, but at the same time I love the scheme and wanted to share it with you. Maybe in the future I might rebuild it using AA decals. I do really like the new Air Canada scheme, I feel it looks very elegant and love the raccoon type cockpit design.

The paints I used were Halfords Appliance White for the fuselage and wings, and Humbrol Gloss Black for the lower fuselage and engine nacelles.

As always thank you for looking and constructive feedback and comments are always welcomed. I am keen to build another 787-9 in the future, just need to decide on a livery for it. 

Regards,

Alistair

Air Canada B789 Air Canada B789 Air Canada B789 Air Canada B789 Air Canada B789 Air Canada B789 Air Canada B789 

Air Canada B789 Air Canada B789

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 32

Hi Alistair.

Like Alpha Delta I don't see what you have to be embarrassed about.  Even if there are flaws they aren't apparent and the person who never made a mistake never made anything. 

I'm still trying to decide whether I like the current AC livery although it does look rather good on the Dreamliner. Mind you, anything would be an improvement on the toilet cleaner pale blue!

Thanks for sharing another fine model and I look forward to your Germanwings A320. What scheme are you doing - the original silver/yellow/maroon or the later white/grey with the stripes on the tail?

Dave G

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi Alistair.

Like Alpha Delta I don't see what you have to be embarrassed about.  Even if there are flaws they aren't apparent and the person who never made a mistake never made anything. 

I'm still trying to decide whether I like the current AC livery although it does look rather good on the Dreamliner. Mind you, anything would be an improvement on the toilet cleaner pale blue!

Thanks for sharing another fine model and I look forward to your Germanwings A320. What scheme are you doing - the original silver/yellow/maroon or the later white/grey with the stripes on the tail?

Dave G

Hi Dave, thank you. I think it’s just I loved my Qatar 787 after applying the techniques that I know now and combined with the AA decals it turned out nicely. I think I definitely prefer this livery to the awful pale blue (actually laughed out loud at your description of it 😂). 

The Germanwings A320 is going to be in the original silver/yellow/maroon scheme. I have made a start in it using a recycled A320 from my stash. Then it’s on to my E195 or a BA B744.

Regards,

Alistair

48925493823_d454fff461_b.jpg 48926224332_20284b01e9_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/10/2019 at 17:32, FortyEighter said:

Your aircraft are being rolled out quicker than at Toulouse or Seattle Alistair!!

At a quick glance that Air Canada cockpit surround could be mistaken for an A350.

Mike

Thank you Mike, it does appear that my production line is coming along haha. 

It could easily be mistaken for the A350, I agree. 

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Almost missed this one too!

Nowt to be embarrassed about at all any flaws you see are mainly because you know they're there. Of course it's not going to be perfect as it was one of your early models but it'd be good to keep it as a yardstick for how far you've come and you needed to build things to learn the techniques you use now they don't just develop our of thin air!

I don't mind this AC livery but I don't get the black cockpit surround. Is it a nod to the old 70's livery with the large black anti glare panel? I don't know but it just seems gimmicky to me.

Does the Zvezda kit include the satcom antenna housing or did you scratchbuild that?

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

Almost missed this one too!

Nowt to be embarrassed about at all any flaws you see are mainly because you know they're there. Of course it's not going to be perfect as it was one of your early models but it'd be good to keep it as a yardstick for how far you've come and you needed to build things to learn the techniques you use now they don't just develop our of thin air!

I don't mind this AC livery but I don't get the black cockpit surround. Is it a nod to the old 70's livery with the large black anti glare panel? I don't know but it just seems gimmicky to me.

Does the Zvezda kit include the satcom antenna housing or did you scratchbuild that?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you, I have been posting quite a few in quick succession lately 😂.

I might have to pick up another 787-9, it’s just deciding on a livery. I’d love to do the new Virgin scheme but matching those colours looks a nightmare. 
I agree about the Black cockpit surround, and I think you could be right.

The Zvezda kit comes with the satcom antenna 👍🏻.

Regards,

Alistair

On 22/10/2019 at 22:58, Scotsman07 said:

I am quite embarrassed and disappointed with this build as the quality is poor ☹️

I feel it looks very elegant and love the raccoon type cockpit design.

I think it looks beautiful!  Which parts are you disappointed about?  I tried to look for flaws, but I can't really spot anything!  

I have one of these to build too, but I don't want to build it in the default Boeing livery.  I can't decide which livery to do.

With the cockpit design, Air Canada says "The mask was inspired by the facial markings of Canada’s indigenous birds, as well as by wildlife representations found in early native culture. The clean shape of the design defines the front windows and celebrates the flight deck."

Pages 10 - 13 give a good description for each of the elements of their new livery:  https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/documents/PDF/media/livery/illustrative_guide_en.pdf

• Thanks 1

looks fantastic to me, especially the "mask" around the cockpit windows!! Beautiful aircraft and youve done it superbly :clap2:

17 hours ago, neilg said:

I think it looks beautiful!  Which parts are you disappointed about?  I tried to look for flaws, but I can't really spot anything!  

I have one of these to build too, but I don't want to build it in the default Boeing livery.  I can't decide which livery to do.

With the cockpit design, Air Canada says "The mask was inspired by the facial markings of Canada’s indigenous birds, as well as by wildlife representations found in early native culture. The clean shape of the design defines the front windows and celebrates the flight deck."

Pages 10 - 13 give a good description for each of the elements of their new livery:  https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/documents/PDF/media/livery/illustrative_guide_en.pdf

Thank you, the seam join is visible and I wish I had added extra detail to the wings...

It’s a lovely kit to build, and I’d love to do another in the Virgin livery, if I can figure out the colours for it...

Thank you for the extra information about the story behind the design, always interesting to learn how Airlines come up with new ideas for their schemes.

Regards,

Alistair

On 28/10/2019 at 15:59, Gimme Shelter said:

very nice work there - the masked bandit. I see these up at LHR on a regular basis and the new livery really stands out

great to see yet another civil build on the forum too

keep up the civil modelling

Thank you, I do really like this new scheme by AC. I am currently working on the BA Retro BOAC 747-436... here is a look so far, not the best photo setting 

48981640597_c492be8afd_b.jpg 48981455251_2dfde6d91a_b.jpg

Alistair

On 06/11/2019 at 02:42, Michael51 said:

Well I cannot find anything wrong with it either.

It looks very sharp indeed,

Michael

Thank you Michael... I do love the livery and am tempted to build a 773 in the same scheme but not sure yet.

Alistair

• Like 1