Valom 1/72 Vickers Valetta

WV908

Can't find anything anywhere else than this one source, but it looks like Valom are releasing a 1/72 Vickers Valetta. Box art is by Aviation Art ZM on Facebook but I can't seem to link it.

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Was just going to look for my Magna one in the stash. The canopy had yellowed which put me off a bit (but I had moulded a new one for the Marathon, so know I can do it). Might not bother now as the Valom kit might be better, that was certainly the case with the Buckmaster. 

That looks appetising.  Not sure they served long enough to wear '... Support Command' titles.   Will also need to check the serial. I recall seeing one taxi past the windows of the crew briefing room at Coltishall in 1968 ....squeaking brakes and all. Serial was VW197.   I recall it brought in some ground crew for the Reds in their Gnats who gave us a display on the Wednesday during my weeks ATC Camp.

• Like 1

Oh so near, but fantastic anyway! I have a Varsity shaped hole in the collection that needs filling. What are the chances?

Actually, If I bought this, how much work to get to a Varsity as my finger was hovering over the buy button for the Broplan kit. If I could convert this, I'm sure my life would be easier.

Darn it! I'll buy two and build a Valetta as well.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1

Fantastic news! Will fill a huge gap in post-war RAF aircraft, I think the Valetta was produced in greater

numbers than any other large/medium British military transport aircraft although the York would be close. 

Not much external difference to the Viking too. A Varsity is substantially different and would need new wings, 

fuselage, engine cowlings, undercarriage etc. Valom are producing kits of some great and much wanted subjects!

Paul

42 minutes ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

Fantastic news! Will fill a huge gap in post-war RAF aircraft, I think the Valetta was produced in greater

numbers than any other large/medium British military transport aircraft although the York would be close. 

Not much external difference to the Viking too. A Varsity is substantially different and would need new wings, 

fuselage, engine cowlings, undercarriage etc. Valom are producing kits of some great and much wanted subjects!

Paul

I wouldn't be surprised if Valom release a Viking in due course.  Lots of colourful schemes.  I think Air Safaris might be top of my list.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paul J said:

Not sure they served long enough to wear '... Support Command' titles.   Will also need to check the serial.

The serial and scheme are correct.

@ptmvarsityfan, was the Valetta really that different from the Viking? I thought they were based on the stressed wing Viking?

Edited by 71chally
To make more sense!
  • Like 1

Very nice! I was just reading up on these birds. It would be nice to have the whole lot, including the Varsity. Now if they upscaled just a little bit - a Hastings? Or am I being greedy?

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Just now, 71chally said:

@ptmvarsityfan, was the Viking and Valetta really that different? I thought they were based on the stressed sling wing Viking?

I was always under the impression that the Viking and Valetta were pretty similar apart from aerials etc, the loading door and maybe odd astrodome. I think the floor was strengthened on the Valetta plus it had more powerful engines but I don't know if these would be visibly different with regards cowlings.  I believe the Varsity had a longer fuselage and greater wing span, plus the tricycle undercarriage of course.

• Like 2

I have a  built Varsity in my collection from the Aeroclub kit. VAcform and a bit of resin.  WIll post some pics up at the weekend when I have enough light to delve in to my built stash in the shed.

• Like 3

Looks like I still need that Broplan Varsity then. Mind you, I'm not afraid of conversions, so the Valetta might still be a better starting point for a build.

Steev

Edited by fightersweep

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

@ptmvarsityfan, was the Valetta really that different from the Viking? I thought they were based on the stressed wing Viking?

Yes the Valetta was a militarised Viking, it was the Varsity which was substantially redesigned. I'm sure it would be fairly easy to create a Viking from a Valetta kit. The Valetta T3 with a row of astrodomes and the radar nosed T4 look somewhat different though. I'll be quite happy with a C1 at this stage! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Looks like I still need that Broplan Varsity then. Mind you, I'm not afraid of conversions, so the Valetta might still be a better starting point for a build.

Steev

The Aeroclub Varsity is very good, I think it would require super skills to convert a Valetta to a Varsity. Beyond me anyway!

Fuselage cross section the same, maybe the tail and not much else.

Cheers, Paul

7 minutes ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

The Aeroclub Varsity is very good, I think it would require super skills to convert a Valetta to a Varsity. Beyond me anyway!

Fuselage cross section the same, maybe the tail and not much else.

Cheers, Paul

I haven't been able to nail down an Aeroclub kit. The last one I tried for on eBay went for £147 or something stupid. Think I'll give the Broplan kit a shot. Either that, or I'll drop Valom an email and ask what the chances are. It's the one aircraft I need to finish a collection I'm building.

Steve

If Valom are going to make a Valetta then maybe a Varsity will be produced down the line, hopefully not too far in the distant future. Box art is now on line for the Valetta so maybe won't be too long before release. Seemed to wait ages for the Twin Pioneer to arrive though! 

Cheers, Paul