F-51 drop tanks ID?

bobmig

I like the look of these large drop tanks on these F-51s, but does anyone know just what type they are? They look somewhat like a Misawa-style tank, but possibly commercially made. Thanks.

Bob

tank 1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Hi Bob @bobmig,

Wez @Wez is correct in his references but eventually I exhausted the options, sadly. I tried many tank types but none matched the size and shape of these. I've not found a solution. They were certainly used widely, particularly in Central and South America. I keep looking ......

Martin

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Wez, your link brings me back to this same thread, but I know I've seen such a query in the (fairly) recent past...

Looks like two threads had been merged losing the link, in the deleted thread I posted a link to this thread.

As Martin said, he didn't come up with a solution :fraidnot:

• Like 1

I'm getting tangled up in threads!  See this link, go down to the RF-80, Navy, and F-94 group.  Note that he gives an estimated scale profile of the tank.

My Hobbycraft (48th) T-33 tip tank looks similar, but with a more pointed nose.  I wonder if an F-94 kit might have the right one?

34 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I wonder if an F-94 kit might have the right one?

It's a good call and it's an option I've been considering for a while, I've also been wondering whether the tip tanks used on the earlier F-89A/B may be similar?

Good points but remember their size. THese hang off the wing of a Mustang - not the largest of aircraft bu comparison with an F-94 or F-89. Shape is one thing but the size is another. I'd love to find a solution. My other thought has been to check out a napalm tank like that used on a B-57 or A-1. Maybe ?? 

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I was thinking of the smaller, slimmer tanks used on the early F-89A/B, not the larger tanks used on later jets.

Ah, I'll take a look. They certain have the shape of Fletcher tanks of some kind.

Thanks, Wez.

Martin