MWP Project : Berta in Spain - Me 109 B-1 1/32

Hi to all.

I wanted to recover a model Bf 109 E-1 on a 1/32 scale from Eduard downgrading it to version B (Berta) through the conversion set proposed a few years ago by Alley Cat Models for models on the Spanish Civil War theater and part of the Legion Condor:

spacer.png

The set is really well made with a finely detailed quality resin. The complete instructions propose a rich information on the optional versions (4) on the conflict to which the German machines found themselves operating, therefore news of historical relevance but also technical, or indicating which parts of the Eduard kit to correct and which to eliminate. Also on the colors the attached "Guide" provides general guidelines with its own precise indications with reference to the chosen version. The decals are a masterpiece, well defined and very precise.

Let's take a closer look:

spacer.png

spacer.png

After carefully and gently dismantling the Eduard model, I study and try to identify the parts that will be removed:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Proceed with a light sanding (ultra-fine grain) to remove the decals and remove the color. The operation ends with a light washing with non-aggressive aquaragy and a final wash with warm water added with degreasing agent (Chanteclair)

spacer.png

I apply the corrections indicated in the instructions on the panels relative to the new version "B":

spacer.png

Fixed Alley set resin sub-wing oil cooler :

spacer.png

spacer.png

I correct the slats length and replace the flaps adapting them to the B version:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I modify the blade grafts to the propeller hub, making them in metal (Albion) with a more robust and precise seal:

spacer.png

I change the ogive by adapting an optional Eduard kit to that provided by the Alley set:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Final results:

spacer.png

Coloring of wood-effect blades with RB Productions stencils:

spacer.png

base color light brown acrylic:

spacer.png

transparent amber color diluted with 10% thinner:

spacer.png

Preparation and fixing of the mask RB:

spacer.png

result:

spacer.png

The coloring is not yet complete, the parts will be treated with Future wax (polishing) to be uniformed and will undergo a light washing with a mix of oil / resin 'Mussini' asphalt color but after a careful drying. 

MWP (Metal Work Panels):

I proceed as usual through the systematic cloning of the original panels and rewriting on the aluminum strip with the novelty of performing the resin technique instead of plastic:

spacer.png

preliminary cleaning of the panel cloning: this particular operation guarantees the correct rewriting of the copied panel with all the information contained on the original:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Final session gallery:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

for more info & pics about this work and the MWP technique please : https ://www.adventurephotomodels.com

thank you for the attention and interest. 

George

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hi to all
I UPDATE:
I completed the fuselage lining with the self-adhesive tape:

spacer.png

Let's go in order:

- panel cloning:

spacer.png

canopy coating :

spacer.png

addition of MG 17 machine guns (AlleyCat conversion set) and control bar correction :

spacer.png

- modification of the propeller and adjustment of the ogive to the Berta version: (early)

I modified an optional four blades of a P47 Thunderbolt by working it with a trimmer and sanding it to obtain a result rather similar to the original.
For the wood effect, I used the same system already described in the previous session:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

test to fit:

spacer.png

spacer.png

painting,coating and details;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

coating of moving surfaces with detection of the underlying structure:

spacer.png

spacer.png

this technique was also used for the tail surfaces and the rudder:

spacer.png

spacer.png

scratch b uild of the attachment ribs on the wings:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

final session:

spacer.png

spacer.png

for more info on the MWP technique: https://www.adventurephotomodels.com

Thank you for your attention and interest.

George

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi to all

I finished the MWP "Berta in Spain" project and now the model is entering the hangar:

spacer.png

In this session ending:

Application of the "stress skin" effect on the wing surfaces and fixing to the fuselage
I attempted this technique using a small variable speed cutter and a flared file to recreate the typical "deformation" bearings of the sheet between one rib and another.
I sanded with an abrasive stick and I attenuated the final result in compliance with the scale of the kit with liquid grout Mr. Surfacer 1200 and the result is what you can see.

1- I have previously marked all the information contained on the panels as they would later be lost with the passage of the cutter:

spacer.png

2 - I prepared the aluminum tape for the coating by brushing it in advance with fine steel wool:

spacer.png

3- I cloned the wing panels reporting all the information contained on the original part:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have reconstructed the navigation lights (wings) that were simply highlighted on the original kit, using the UV light hardening gel: the gel can be modeled and the UV light works fast and very well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have completed the model with the last details and here are some shots:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

"Berta in the hangar"