Kawasaki Ki-45 question

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

Another Japanese aircraft in the stash is the Hasegawa 1/72 Ki-45. Does anyone know of any camouflage mask (not canopy, I have the canopy mask) or camouflage decals for this aircraft in 1/72.  I've yet to come across any as yet, so it may end up in a simpler scheme.

thanks

Mike

If you're referring to the green squiggly sort of scheme Mike, I did read a build report where the modeller has sprayed the base scheme, then dribbled honey in a pattern before spraying the top colour, afterwards rinsing the honey off in warm water. It looked rather good I thought. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

If you're referring to the green squiggly sort of scheme Mike, I did read a build report where the modeller has sprayed the base scheme, then dribbled honey in a pattern before spraying the top colour, afterwards rinsing the honey off in warm water. It looked rather good I thought. :)

Steve.

Wow! Every day is a school day here on BM! :like:. There's another tip for the reference notes.

Thanks Steve

SD

Just consider the potential for this going wrong... :tmi:

For this type of camo.

Make your own out of paper or card. Make several different sized and shaped 'blobs' and place on model and spray. Because the paper mask isn't stuck down like tape you will achieve a feathered edge.spacer.png

Good luck

• Like 2

I must firstly say that's not my model, just a pic from the net to show the type of camo.

Will post a more in depth explanation tonight when I get home.

Stay tuned.

Rightio here we go.

On a sheet of paper I have traced the outline of my model's wing that has been sprayed in metallics (In this case it is Great Wall's 1/48 P-61B).

Using the outline of the wing I have stared to cut out the 'blobs' with a sharp knife.

spacer.png

You can cut out blobs all along the outline of the wing and do one spray or just keep using the one section over again until you cover the entire wing or section your doing at that time. These blob cutouts are fairly rough and have some sharp edges to them so

Using small blobs or sausages of Blue Tak (poster and picture hanging platicine type material) I have attached them to the back of the mask.

spacer.png

I have stuck the mask onto my model using the blue tac blobs to hold the paper mask down. I have intentionally allowed the paper mask to sit proud of the model's wing (courtesy of the blue tak) to allow some paint to escape the edges of each cutout blob which will result in a feathered edge. The lower down on the wing the mask sits the less feathered it will appear.

spacer.png

Spray desired camo colour.

If you spray an enamel gloss coat (if using acrylic paints or vice versa) you can remove the blobs which aren't to your liking and then respray.

Hope this helps.

Any questions just post them.

By the way, I'm no expert, this is just my take on a technique.

There are similar type masks for other models. Eduard makes them for Bf 109 mottle. Could be used for Japanese camo. Use same technique.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Red Dog said:

A quick search found that Print Scale make camouflage decals for different Japanese aircraft.

http://www.printscale.org/category_9.html

I have some print scale smoke ring style decals for Macchis, I didn't see the Japanese camouflage decals before (probably because Hannants don't have them yet!), so I'll watch out for them. That said they are for a B5N not a Ki-45 but I'll wait and see if they do any others.

thanks

Mike