American Airlines Airbus A319 in 1/144

I present my Revell Airbus A319 in the new livery of American Airlines N800IN.

The build was OOB with the addition of Braz Sharklets and aftermarket decals from 26Decals and Authentic Airliners. It was a straightforward enough build, with the usual removal of the additional flap track fairings for the A321. I’ve had this model on my bench for a long time, but just never got round to finishing it off... so I’m trying to get through unfinished projects before starting anything new. I still think it looks quite strange seeing an A319 baby bus with sharklets...

The paint mix I went for was mixing Revell light grey 371, Revell white gloss 04 and a touch of Revell Silver 90. It was a case of keep mixing until I found a shade I was most happy with. It was then brush painted. Wings and stabs are Revell 371 with Revell 374 coroguard section. Was then clear coated several times with Humbrol Clear, and then finally glossed once the decals had been applied. 

Thank you for looking and as always any constructive feedback and comments are welcomed. Next up to finish now is my Germanwings A320.

Regards,

Alistair

American Airlines A319 American Airlines A319 American Airlines A319 American Airlines A319 American Airlines A319 American Airlines A319 American Airlines A319 American Airlines A319 American Airlines A319 American Airlines A319 American Airlines A319

American Airlines A319

My model against the real thing...

48943084692_ac3aec2efd_b.jpg 48942895116_d9cbe66497_b.jpg

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 40

6 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

Another excellent finish. I like the recipe for the paint colour , a bit like Jet 2's silver as I'm looking for a good match for it to do a 738. 

Thank you, yeah it’s an awkward colour to match as like most airliners, they look very different under various lighting conditions... I used this mix on my 773 and I was pleased with the final result... 

Alistair

• Like 1

Hi Alistair, that's a lovely A319. The current American livery is very handsome and you've done a really good job of capturing it. I'm glad to find another fan of Revell Aqua paint - I think it's great stuff. 

Can I make one suggestion? It may just be the angle of the photograph but the seams inside the engine cowlings are quite noticeable. They are a bit of a pest to fill but there are several ways of going at it. I usually use Milliput smoothed down with a wet cocktail stick and then a coat of Mr Surfacer 500 once the Milliput is set. A strip of 600 wet and dry wrapped round the handle of a pin vice makes a useful sanding tool. That's only my approach - I'm sure better ideas are available elsewhere!

Thanks for sharing another great model. :goodjob:   Please keep them coming!

Dave G

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Another beautiful airliner from your side Alistair 👍

The sharklets does look a bit exaggerated on the minibus don’t they, not least on the NEO family, which also got the massive engines. Looking forward to see your next Airbus build. 

Yeah I agree, they do look a bit disproportionate on the baby bus... thank you, I have made a lot of Airbus’s lately but I have a 744 that I am hoping to build very soon too 👍🏻.

Alistair

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi Alistair, that's a lovely A319. The current American livery is very handsome and you've done a really good job of capturing it. I'm glad to find another fan of Revell Aqua paint - I think its great stuff. 

Can I make one suggestion? It may just be the angle of the photograph but the seams inside the engine cowlings are quite noticeable. They are a bit of a pest to fill but there are several ways of going at it. I usually use Milliput smoothed down with a wet cocktail stick and then a coat of Mr Surfacer 500 once the Milliput is set. A strip of 600 wet and dry wrapped round the handle of a pin vice makes a useful sanding tool. That's only my approach - I'm sure better ideas are available elsewhere!

Thanks for sharing another great model. :goodjob:   Please keep them coming!

Dave G

Thank you Dave, it’s a lovely scheme and getting the right shade is a pain unless you know the right Pantone used... I struggled for a very long time to find a shade I was happy with. I love Revell Aqua paint, fast drying time, and solvent free.

Thank you for your tip regarding the filling of the cowlings as they are a pain. I will give that a try 😃.

I will definitely be keeping them coming 👍🏻.

Regards,

Alistair

14 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Very well done. Love the newer AA livery. Also like your subtle weathering.

Thank you, I do think I prefer it to the old livery 👍🏻. Looks a bit more ‘corporate’ and sophisticated.

13 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

I rate that AA+

Dave

I like what you did there Dave 😂👍🏻

Alistair

• Like 2

11 hours ago, stringbag said:

That really is very well turned out, especially as it's brush painted too.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing.

Chris.

Thank you Chris, it does seem like I am only building little Airbus’. I plan on making some new projects soon, just cleaning up my collection and finishing off the lose ends...

Alistair

11 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Never ceased to be amazed at a quality paint job using a brush!  I stand in awe of you, young man, in awe!

Thank you 👍🏻, I will get round to airbrushing eventually. The thing is I quite enjoy brush painting them so I’m torn haha.

Alistair

7 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Wow. That is good, really, really good. I had to do a double take on the updated pictures it's that good.

Thank you 👍🏻, that’s a great compliment to receive 😃

Hi Alistair,

You really need to slow down I can't keep up! Nearly missed another one and it would've been a shame as this is a little gem.

Another livery which I didn't like when it was first introduced but which has now grown on me and I think you've brought out the best in this little Airbus. It's hard to see the difference comparing the model with the real thing which to me is what it's all about. Top job!

I'll second Dave's tip about the inlets. Sometimes I roll up a piece of 5 thou plastic sheet and insert that into the inlets although this technique is more relevant to the Minicraft 737 which had very little, if any, in the way of intake trunking.

I guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on RFI I don't want to miss your Germanwings Airbus or the 744 you're working on!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

Hi Ian,

Thank you 👍🏻, I do seem to be chucking them out at the minute although many were ‘nearly’ finished and I am trying to clear up my bench. 

I must admit I love this new scheme by AA, it looks very corporate and sophisticated. I had a lot of mixed paint from my 773 and as an Airbus lover had to make this model...

I will definitely take on board the tips about the inlets 😃. I have made a start on my 744 and am excited to see the final result and hopefully I can do it justice.

Regards,

Alistair

3 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Wow brush painted, thats inspiration for me. I keep looking at projects like this and thinking I could never achieve such a smooth finish with a brush.

Excellent work.

Thank you 😃. I always thought it would be difficult to achieve as well, a good primer coat helps mate and applying it in thin coats at a time to build it up. I have an airbrush but am no good at using it so I always brush paint or rattle can my models where I can.

Alistair

• Like 1

Nice baby bus, Alistair! You're cranking out quite a few from your assembly line...its kinda hard to keep up! This one looks just fine. I am still amazed that you are hand brushing your models. Looks really nice for hand brushing. really admire your patience too on mixing the pant to get to the finish that was right for your eye. Looks really good in the photos. I understand that American is no longer using the "lustre" finishes, with the small metallic flakes...just straight gray...which is going to make it easier for those of us that lack the patience you have demonstrated! Nice going!  

• Thanks 1